Thin strips of mat board as spacer replacement?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
slunkey
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:18 am

Not sure if this belongs here but here goes.

I have 24 x 36 frames for some of my posters and I would like to start setting up some space between the print and the acrylic. Spacers are out of the question because the frames already have the mounting points set to fit the mount board, acrylic, and print. Although I believe I can get in a thin piece of mat board between the print and acrylic. So I was wondering if anyone has ever tried using thin strips of mat board to replace spacers?

I guess the idea is that I would cut up thin pieces of mat board (about 0.1875 inches in width) to fit around the print itself in that tiny little space that covers part of the print to keep all the pieces together in the frame. I added an image to illustrate the space I mean.

What do you guys think?
golobulus
Art Expert

Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:25 am

I've done it before and it worked just fine... I didn't use strips though... I just cut a mat that didn't extend into the viewable area. Didn't realize how crappy this picture was!

misterwhisper
Art Expert

Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:25 am

I'm not a pro, but for 24x36 prints, I don't think a narrow strip of four-ply is going to be effective, and it'd be difficult to adhere to the glazing as well. Your best bet is probably to rip those points out and shoot some new ones in after adding proper 1/8" (or more) spacers. If you don't have a point gun, you can always use extra matboard to bring the mountboard flush with the back and pick up some turnbuttons.

Mods, can this thread be moved to the framing corner so the pros can weigh in?
slunkey
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:02 pm

Hmm well I was thinking I would take the four strips and tape (archival) them together to make a 3/16 inch complete mat that would fit in that tiny space (not extend into the viewable area). Would this ease the concern of mat not adhering to the glazing? I mean, essentially, it will function just like a normal mat, just not viewable.
sendit2d
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 22, 2017 3:07 pm

Can anyone else comment on using strips of matboard (or anything else) as spacers. I'd like to know if it makes sense to do that instead of spacers. I'm not really liking the idea of dents happening along the sides of the prints from spacers. I guess that happens when there's too much backing in the frame, but just a couple pushes from the back of a frame that has spacers is all it would take to dent a print up.

Thanks