More than just a number: Artist Signatures on Posters

General art-related discussion.
wneff
Art Expert

Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:25 am

These days, ever greater numbers of print editions are being released with an edition number, but no artist signature.

While lack of signature is not a deal-breaker for me when considering a purchase, as a poster and print consumer, I would like to register my strongly held belief that a print is always more desirable with the artist signature present.

I think the trend away from signatures, and toward numbered-only editions, is unfortunate for a variety of reasons that shouldn't be very hard to imagine. The best reasons are those that will not become apparent until years from now, when this poster-collecting passion of ours has become a serious phenomenon - if it ever does.

And it just might. So I think now is a good time to grapple with this question: should we continue to eagerly collect numbered-only editions without concern for the shift away from artist signatures? Or should we, the consumers of the product, insist that artist signatures be included on editioned art, whenever and wherever possible?
DonPiano
Art Expert

Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:34 am

An artist signature should be included where possible. Given that most of the places that are selling prints are based in America, it should be possible to get the majority of the artists who are based in America to sign their prints. But when you have a lot of popular artists nowadays based out of America (Laurent Durieux, Ken Taylor, Olly Moss), it's simply not feasible to get them to sign the prints. The cost is just too much.

I never really understand people who say that having a signature on a print is a deal breaker. Especially for a $30 gig print or something similar. Who really cares? Enjoy the art for what it is.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:43 am

Personally, I haven't noticed a trend away from signatures, but you've been around longer than me. Seems like there's been a mix of signed and unsigned stuff available since I started collecting.

I like sigs, but unless it's a nice-looking well-done sig I'm not all that concerned. Some artist's signatures actually detract from the art.

Favorite sigs: Horkey, Phlegm, Tom Whalen, Laurent Durieux, Invader
wneff
Art Expert

Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:04 am

I realize my impression of this no-signature trend could be nothing more than a faulty impression, and my concern about it may be overblown. But I can't be sure until I pulse some of the good Ebeaners of the world.
guerilladubber
Art Expert

Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:20 am

I like me a sig, especially when there's no CofA. Geddes comes to mind, his sig IS the CofA in my book.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:23 am

I prefer a sig to a COA anyday. COAs are a pain to keep track of.
IWish
Art Expert

Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:34 am

No sig on AP's that get sold...I pass on those. The definition of AP has taken on a new meaning these days, too.

That said, I made a rare exception for Ansins/TD AP. Couldn't bring myself to pass on that one.
summoner
Art Freak

Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:39 am

I see this more with Mondo than anyone really. Mondo wants to pump out the prints, and having D&L ship to the artist, have them sign, and then ship to Mondo just takes too much time. It's a shame really.

And I am 100% for prints always being signed by the artist. It really does add to the print, and makes you feel like the artist actually had a hand in the printing process.
Image Image Image
DonPiano
Art Expert

Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:51 am

IWish wrote:No sig on AP's that get sold...I pass on those. The definition of AP has taken on a new meaning these days, too.

That said, I made a rare exception for Ansins/TD AP. Couldn't bring myself to pass on that one.
I'll agree with this. When I started collecting, I always thought that the AP was always sold from the artist, but it's not the case of course. The artist would - presumably - still get a cut of the sales, but isn't the one actually selling them. The Ken Taylor 'AP's' sold through posters and toys don't strike me as being true AP's. They're usually from the same print run, just with different numbers down the bottom.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
exiter
Art Connoisseur

Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:03 am

summoner wrote:
...I am 100% for prints always being signed by the artist. It really does add to the print, and makes you feel like the artist actually had a hand in the printing process.
This.
"It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful." -Anton Szandor LaVey
¡Artistas Fantásticos! William Rupnik Gallery -> http://t.co/fjBY3mOv
1xRUN Invite -> http://1xrun.com/invite/exiter
TOTM
Art Expert

Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:20 am

VulturePiano
Art Connoisseur

Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:07 pm

I definitely prefer a signature on a print. If the entire run is signed, that's great but I like to have the ability to have my unsigned print signed at a later date. I think it sets the print apart from the rest of the run. Austin is a good place to be with Flatstock once a year and Mondo's barrage of gallery shows. They've hosted signings the day after the gallery opening and that's a nice touch for the fans.
schmoff
Art Expert

Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:18 pm

summoner wrote:I see this more with Mondo than anyone really. Mondo wants to pump out the prints, and having D&L ship to the artist, have them sign, and then ship to Mondo just takes too much time. It's a shame really.

And I am 100% for prints always being signed by the artist. It really does add to the print, and makes you feel like the artist actually had a hand in the printing process.
Vedderman23
Art Expert

Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:40 pm

IWish wrote:The definition of AP has taken on a new meaning these days, too.
Very true. A lot of newer members need to do some research to see if they are actually getting an AP or just a print that was part of the regular edition and being sold by the artist. BIG difference in most cases.

This is a good thread on the topic of APs. http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 32&t=95464
Olly
Art Connoisseur

Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:45 pm

As a collector, I don't really care. As an artist, I try to sign wherever it's feasible.