Print/Poster Storage and Care

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
Thalass
Art Connoisseur

Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:23 am

Hi Folks,

I'm new to these forums, but I've been lurking for a month or two. In that time I've noticed that you all seem like a nice bunch, so today I figured I'd sign up!

Before I ask my question though, I should apologize if this topic has been discussed recently. I did a couple of searches using the search bar up top but I didn't find anything so I thought creating a new thread was warranted. My search terms could have been inaccurate, however, so I'm at your mercy, Mods.

Anyway, I recently purchased (and received) one of the Aaron Horkey Two Towers prints and I love it! I found out about his work about a year ago and was totally blown away. Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on one of his RoTK prints in a few months' time (yeah, I know, me and everyone else, right? haha), but I'm content with what I have for now.

So my question was about how to care for/store my print properly. I might not be able to frame it right away because I might be moving in a few months time, and I know this is a problem. Leaving it rolled up in the tube can be harmful for it, right?

My partner is an artist and she stores all of her work in between two pieces of masonite with tissue paper covering the face of the artwork. She recommended I do the same with this print, but I wanted to make sure this was a good idea. Unfortunately I don't own a flat file (maybe someday...).

And is there anything I should take into consideration when getting it framed? I have a great frame guy I use locally who makes me beautiful frames out of exotic woods. Archival UV blocking/matte glass, high quality mats, parchment backings...the whole nine yards. I've never framed a print of this quality though, so I'm a bit out of my depth here.

Anyway, I think that's enough for now, sorry for the wall of text. TL;DR: How do you guys care for your prints? Any advice for a new collector who can't frame his new print right away?
Thalass
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:00 pm

I went ahead and picked up some masonite today. I figure I should get some sheets of mylar as well (or some other type of acid-free, archival paper to protect the print from the masonite). I'm assuming the paper that mondo ships the print in isn't acid-free? Otherwise I'd just use that.
PLUSH
Art Expert

Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:11 pm

Most people that do not have a ff use two pieces of acidfree foam core with clips

Read here
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... ilit=clips
Thalass
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:36 pm

Thanks. I did stumble across that post before, so I followed up on it today. However when I was at the art store, I found that they only stocked 20" x 30" pieces of foam core. This is too small for the Horkey print, which is why I opted for the masonite. Aside from being the right size, the masonite is heavier anyway, so it might be better for straightening the print.

Do you think any sort of acid-free buffer is okay? I can't see how this method would be much different from the foam core so long as the print is well-protected from the masonite.

Thanks again for the link.
glenn1
Art Expert

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:48 am

If you decide that you do want to go after larger foam board (even just to put between your masonite) then craft stores that do custom framing will usually have some that isn't out on the shelves. The Michael's near me has a large cart with 30x40 inch boards for eight bucks and they'll cut them in the size I want. Good luck either way!
Thalass
Art Connoisseur

Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:46 pm

I took your advice and went with the Foam cores. Wedged the print between those, then put masonite on either side and some clips around the foam core so it doesn't shift at all.

Michael's indeed sells the full sheets, but you have to ask for them at the back like you said. Total cost was about $21 CAD for 2 30x40" sheets, for those curious.