Vertigo 14 Durieux

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
mafurman
Art Connoisseur

Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:19 am

I have a question that I hope some of you can answer:

I recently received the regular Vertigo and regular Rear Window prints. I examined the prints closely and found one or more prominent spots on each print where there was no ink. One of the prints also had a smudge in the background and both had plenty of other tiny imperfections.

I am familiar with the the screen printing process, but are these imperfections perfectly normal for these prints or are they somewhat unusual and likely to detract from any potential longterm value? I have other Durieux prints and never noticed issues like this. Is this just the way these are designed and printed or might these be particularly flawed?
tenaciousjack
Art Expert

Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:25 am

Honestly, I've found that some Durieux prints have these kind of extremely minor issues (Iron Giant, King Kong, gallery prints).

That's the beauty (and frustrating part) of the screen printing process. I wouldn't worry about it at all, as it shouldn't have an effect on value if that's what you're really concerned about. The real question is, are you ok with it?
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:39 am

Just think of it like you have a 1/1.
mafurman
Art Connoisseur

Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:19 pm

tenaciousjack wrote:Honestly, I've found that some Durieux prints have these kind of extremely minor issues (Iron Giant, King Kong, gallery prints).

That's the beauty (and frustrating part) of the screen printing process. I wouldn't worry about it at all, as it shouldn't have an effect on value if that's what you're really concerned about. The real question is, are you ok with it?

I think this is good advice. I love collecting, but I also like the idea that the art has value and that value may appreciate. There may come a time in the near or far future that I decide to trade or sell the prints. Are these imperfections that you would expect should be disclosed in a sale or are they within the norm (generally speaking - since you don't have pictures to view)?
tenaciousjack
Art Expert

Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:43 pm

mafurman wrote:
tenaciousjack wrote:Honestly, I've found that some Durieux prints have these kind of extremely minor issues (Iron Giant, King Kong, gallery prints).

I think this is good advice. I love collecting, but I also like the idea that the art has value and that value may appreciate. There may come a time in the near or far future that I decide to trade or sell the prints. Are these imperfections that you would expect should be disclosed in a sale or are they within the norm (generally speaking - since you don't have pictures to view)?
Full disclosure is always appreciated. Honestly, it all depends on where the imperfection is within the print and how badly the buyer wants it.
dylansdad
Art Expert

Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:50 pm

I ultimately ditched my Durieux Iron Giant because I was so unhappy with the print job. I love the film, but my eyes kept getting drawn to the white registration errors.
phantomforce
Art Connoisseur

Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:38 pm

I was going to mention this too but my vertigo also came scratched and with some pretty big white caved in spots where there is no ink and it's definitely distracting.
glenn1
Art Expert

Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:57 pm

phantomforce wrote:I was going to mention this too but my vertigo also came scratched and with some pretty big white caved in spots where there is no ink and it's definitely distracting.
Is yours a reg too?
thriftypix
Art Connoisseur

Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:59 pm

Strange. I own Durieux's Bigfoot (regular), The Mummy and Things to Come and I haven't noticed any printing issues. But based on the comments I've read on EB -- such as the troubling one by dylansdad -- these issues unfortunately seem all too common in his prints. The only thing I can think of that could be causing the problems is the fine line work that is such a signature of his work. But who knows.

I wonder what D&L might say?
phantomforce
Art Connoisseur

Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:24 pm

glenn1 wrote:
phantomforce wrote:I was going to mention this too but my vertigo also came scratched and with some pretty big white caved in spots where there is no ink and it's definitely distracting.
Is yours a reg too?
Yep
phantomforce
Art Connoisseur

Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:26 pm

The white spots on mine don't look like printing errors, it almost looks like the print didn't dry or something a piece was missing. it kind of looks like a piece of plaster from a wall.
mh4268
Art Enthusiast

Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:56 pm

I have quite a few Durieux prints, 3 have white spots/specks: King Kong (window) has one on his nose, Oz has one by a tree, and Peter and Wendy variant has one in the sky. It's now a risk I know I take with his prints but ultimately it's worth it.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:02 am

things to come also has similar print issues.

mafurman wrote:I have a question that I hope some of you can answer:

I recently received the regular Vertigo and regular Rear Window prints. I examined the prints closely and found one or more prominent spots on each print where there was no ink. One of the prints also had a smudge in the background and both had plenty of other tiny imperfections.

I am familiar with the the screen printing process, but are these imperfections perfectly normal for these prints or are they somewhat unusual and likely to detract from any potential longterm value? I have other Durieux prints and never noticed issues like this. Is this just the way these are designed and printed or might these be particularly flawed?

unfortuantely, depends who you ask. some will say they are flaws. some will say they are part of the process and are acceptable. as you send more ink through your screen, the more you wear on the emulsion and screen.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
jjttdw
Art Expert

Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:04 am

For me it depends on where the flaw lies. If its on the nose in the center of a print I probably couldn't keep it. If its in the periphery I can live with it. Vertigo reg and Rear Window are my fav images from the show.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
phantomforce
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:30 am

Took a better look at mine and the spots aren't too distracting anymore. I gotta say though, vertigo looks so freakin good once its been propped up, I nearly even felt like I could drown in the poster.