Cardboard mount board and damage question

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
slunkey
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:52 pm

Hey everyone, I have a noob question as I am just getting into the print scene and framing up some prints I have.

I have some prints already framed but I am using cardboard mounting boards. I plan on buying acid-free mounting boards to replace the cardboard ones, but is there a chance the damage is already done? Like even if I do replace them, will damage slowly creep up on the prints anyways?

Also, how long does it take for damage to actually take place? Is it a matter of days, months, years?

Sorry if these questions seem a bit noobish, but I want to make sure I can preserve my prints until I am way dead. :)

Thanks,
Scott.
slunkey
Art Connoisseur

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:42 am

Thought I would post an update response.

All framed prints are now using ArtCare Acid Free backings :). Also, through some correspondence with support at Framed Destination, I learned that various things can affect the time it takes for damage to occur on a print. Like temperature, humidity, chemical compositions of the print and cardboard backing, but that it generally takes years for the process to become noticeable and reach the front of the print. And that removing the source of the chemical reaction that produces the damage will halt all further damage as well.

I hope the little bit of info helps other people as well.

Thanks!