Framing Help/Advice Thread

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.
cthang
Art Enthusiast

Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:52 pm

Thanks! That's what I've been leaning toward as well. I think it's bothered me so much that I haven't really gotten a chance to actually look at the pieces.
dasponyboy
Art Expert

Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:02 am

cthang wrote:Thanks! That's what I've been leaning toward as well. I think it's bothered me so much that I haven't really gotten a chance to actually look at the pieces.
I think it's a good call. Just look at the pic you posted, the Akira looks so balanced and then look left at the Bebop and your eye immediately goes away from the image. Akira looks great btw :clap:
blingaling
Art Expert

Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:14 pm

I've got this:

Image size is 39x70, but the sheet itself is more like 43x74.
I have no idea what to do about framing. Does anyone have any ideas what to do with something this size?
ImageImageImageImage
misterwhisper
Art Expert

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:44 pm

I can't think of any online frame companies that will sell a frame that size, and if they did, shipping would cost a fortune. You probably should take that to a pro.

If you do want to try to frame it yourself and you're handy and have the tools, you can make your own frame. Home Depot sells frame moulding in 8' lengths:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-3- ... /203579461

You can also use chair rail or beadboard molding (it has a groove that can function as a rabbet). Be aware that you will need a deep rabbet because you will likely need pretty big spacers for a print that size.

You can source UV acrylic at that size directly from the source:
http://www.acrylite-shop.com/US/us/uv-f ... 0%22FF3%22

I don't know if acid-free foamboard is available in that size, but if not you can cut down and sandwich together a bunch of 40x60 foamboards to the size you need.

Also keep in mind that a print that large will most likely need to be supported from the top and hung to prevent sagging, so practice up on your hinging skills.

Finally, when you get that monster hung, remember to post a pic here! :D Good luck!
Vonschinkel
Art Connoisseur

Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:00 pm

blingaling wrote:I've got this:

Image size is 39x70, but the sheet itself is more like 43x74.
I have no idea what to do about framing. Does anyone have any ideas what to do with something this size?
You could try this place. I've ordered a couple of frames from them and they were quality. Essentially you order the size you want and they ship it to you un-assembled, cutting down significantly on the shipping coasts. Of course this means you need to put it together yourself which might be a tad tricky at that size. They have a pretty large selection of moldings and I was pretty happy with the outcome.

http://www.customframesolutions.com/

Getting some acrylic at that size is probably something else all together, perhaps there is somewhere local that can do it for you?
blingaling
Art Expert

Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:15 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will post pics for sure whenever I get this accomplished.
ImageImageImageImage
donf2000
New User

Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:18 pm

Darkknight37 wrote:Good idea for a thread Billy!

I had a question, I've framed some smaller end stuff myself and I'd like to try framing some of my bigger posters with mats (24x36). Is there a site like americanframe.com where you can order materials and preview how the art will look with the mat? AF only lets you order up to a certain size unfortunately.

Also when matting the bigger stuff, what's the best way to go about keeping the poster fastened to the backing board? I've used photo corners with the other stuff I framed, but figured with a bigger poster that might not be enough support.
Yes check out http://www.webpictureframes.com/

They have the ability to upload your art to see it as you design. If you want something larger just call them they will do it over the phone if need be.
appletree
Art Expert

Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:09 pm

Speaking of this thread, what about cutting dust covers? Trimming them. Last night I framed something (small etsy print gf bought me last year) sentimental to get the hang of the whole process before working on my photography I am months late to framing. I had a hell of a time using a razor. I had jagged edges, slices on the frame, etc. I couldn't believe how bad I was at it...contemplating spending the $10 on a trimmer doo-hicky.

And what about the cable in the back do you all twist it around and around by hand? Seems tedious, thought about using needlenose but didn't work. I am sure after doing it for years one can make it really quick.

<3 + Image = T.H.C.

:::Johnathon Powers Photography:::
Sail wrote:it was all just a misunderstandingtree.
Poeschel55

Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:27 pm

i drill the clips on the back, put the wire on where i want it. make sure its tight. then take the clips off and go to town on twisting. makes it a hell of a lot faster.
appletree
Art Expert

Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:29 pm

Ohhh smart thinking. Thanks for the tip!!
<3 + Image = T.H.C.

Poeschel55

Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:31 pm

as far as the dust cover goes, i use a utility knife with a brand new blade on it. and just slice right through it like christmas wrapping paper. were you using a new blade?
appletree
Art Expert

Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:33 pm

No, but I assumed it was new enough. It rarely gets used and is only a few years old (meaning it isn't from like 20 years ago and rusted). I break a section off every now and then. I will make sure to have a fresh blade and try it again tonight on the next framing project.
<3 + Image = T.H.C.

beerotan
Art Enthusiast

Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:33 pm

appletree wrote:No, but I assumed it was new enough. It rarely gets used and is only a few years old (meaning it isn't from like 20 years ago and rusted). I break a section off every now and then. I will make sure to have a fresh blade and try it again tonight on the next framing project.
The little trimmer thingamajobs (I'm sure they have an actual name....I just don't know what it is) DO work well, you just have to make sure to have a nice sharp blade on it. You can probably get away with your box cutter/razor just fine too, the trimmer just removes the guesswork out of guiding your hand as you cut. I think they're worth it.
KSUvet
Art Expert

Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:45 pm

"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
swingking03

Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:51 pm

Hi all, I am looking for some advice/suggestions on framing this Marko Manev Star Wars triptych. Should it be in separate frames or all one frame? Black frame with black mat or any color suggestions to play with? Excited to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

http://411posters.com/2014/01/star-wars ... rko-manev/