EB Art of the Year

Official Expresso Beans Art News.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:29 am

Twbb hasn't been sold in three weeks... ?
mistersmith
Art Freak

Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:31 am

jason-bry wrote:
PLUSH wrote:
mistersmith wrote:Horkey ...the best artist alive gets invited to play and kicks everyone's ass.
Before I came here I had never heard of Horkey. True story. But I can guarantee, he is nowhere the best artist alive. True Story.
You guarantee it? How does that work?
We'll use the Grammy criteria. Thomas Kinkade sells a lot more art, ergo, he's better.

He's also dead, but you get my point. Maybe.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:30 am

turnJBup wrote:Twbb hasn't been sold in three weeks... ?
And ya know what that means.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
mhanc
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:05 pm

jason-bry wrote:
PLUSH wrote:
mistersmith wrote:Horkey ...the best artist alive gets invited to play and kicks everyone's ass.
Before I came here I had never heard of Horkey. True story. But I can guarantee, he is nowhere the best artist alive. True Story.

Give me a break. Show me a single professional art critic who says Horkey is our greatest living artist. He didn't even make the cut for Taschen's 100 top illustrators. His technical skills are superb, but I can only take so many snakes and birds with helmets.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:26 pm

Seriously jason, where do you get off! Everyone knows mhanc's subjectivity -- especially when supported by Taschen, who've never done anything stupid and in no way do many of their books lose them hundreds of thousands of dollars -- is way more grounded than our subjectivity.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
jason-bry
Flipper

Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:44 pm

mhanc wrote:
jason-bry wrote:
PLUSH wrote:

Give me a break. Show me a single professional art critic who says Horkey is our greatest living artist. He didn't even make the cut for Taschen's 100 top illustrators. His technical skills are superb, but I can only take so many snakes and birds with helmets.
I was really just wondering how this guy guarantees something so subjective. I can guarantee you that I can run the 40 in under 6 seconds, I can guarantee that I have 300 dollars in the bank, and George Zimmer can even guarantee that I'm going to like the way I look in one of his suits. But this guy is guaranteeing an opinion, which I find fascinating. Who is this undisputed arbiter of art, who speaks for the entire population on such matters?
PLUSH
Art Expert

Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:37 pm

jason-bry wrote: I was really just wondering how this guy guarantees something so subjective. I can guarantee you that I can run the 40 in under 6 seconds, I can guarantee that I have 300 dollars in the bank, and George Zimmer can even guarantee that I'm going to like the way I look in one of his suits. But this guy is guaranteeing an opinion, which I find fascinating. Who is this undisputed arbiter of art, who speaks for the entire population on such matters?
It (the art) or (his skill) are subjective. Even though, if we took all the living artist in the world and had a competition based upon agreed guidelines and attributes in voting, I can guarantee he still will not be the best artist alive voted upon by subjective means (opinions) though a guideline of objective criteria. It sounds like you think that subjective and objective are logical opposites, they are negations or contradictions. That is not the case. Also, your George Zimmer statement is subjective, he can not "guarantee that I'm going to like the way I look in one of his suits". He has a guarantee that if you are not, he will make it right, or take it back within 90 days. Still, even with that "guarantee" in place there really is no "guarantee" that you will like it. It is a play on words, just like my 'subjective' statement, that we could determine based on whatever guidelines you wanted. But in the end, Horkey is not the greatest living artist. :)
ackirkpatrick
Art Expert

Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:45 pm

The fact that we are even having this discussion when we know for a fact that brainwash is the best living artist just boggles me
Timbrh2001
Art Expert

Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:39 am

You sweep all 3 EB categories, you're GOAT.

/Thread
jason-bry
Flipper

Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:40 pm

PLUSH wrote:
jason-bry wrote: I was really just wondering how this guy guarantees something so subjective. I can guarantee you that I can run the 40 in under 6 seconds, I can guarantee that I have 300 dollars in the bank, and George Zimmer can even guarantee that I'm going to like the way I look in one of his suits. But this guy is guaranteeing an opinion, which I find fascinating. Who is this undisputed arbiter of art, who speaks for the entire population on such matters?
It (the art) or (his skill) are subjective. Even though, if we took all the living artist in the world and had a competition based upon agreed guidelines and attributes in voting, I can guarantee he still will not be the best artist alive voted upon by subjective means (opinions) though a guideline of objective criteria. It sounds like you think that subjective and objective are logical opposites, they are negations or contradictions. That is not the case. Also, your George Zimmer statement is subjective, he can not "guarantee that I'm going to like the way I look in one of his suits". He has a guarantee that if you are not, he will make it right, or take it back within 90 days. Still, even with that "guarantee" in place there really is no "guarantee" that you will like it. It is a play on words, just like my 'subjective' statement, that we could determine based on whatever guidelines you wanted. But in the end, Horkey is not the greatest living artist. :)
Yes, you are correct that he can't guarantee my liking of his suit. To be accurate, he's guaranteeing my satisfaction with the purchase, since I can always return it and get my money back if I do not like the suit (aggravation notwithstanding). That's why guaranteeing someone's opinion is a fool's errand. Choosing a "best artist" is all a matter of opinion. Even if you set up guidelines to determine "the best", aren't those guidelines subjective as well? What if the guidelines were "who could draw the best helmeted bird"? Who's to say the best artist is even a painter, or an illustrator? Maybe he/she is a sculptor, yet your guidelines don't even let him/her into the game.

It's the same reason I think figure skating and gymnastics aren't sports - yes, there are specific things a competitor must do, but the bulk of the "score" is opinion. Not performing the proscribed tasks only penalizes you mechanically. Contrast that with soccer, football, or any other sport with defined goals...you can say "boy, they looked good out there, too bad they lost", but the point is, they still lost. It's the old adage "there are no points for style". Yet even with measurables in sports, you cannot guarantee a "best" player.
PLUSH
Art Expert

Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:46 pm

jason-bry wrote:Yet even with measurables in sports, you cannot guarantee a "best" player.
Don't let Richard Sherman hear that blasphemous utterance from your lips.

http://nfl.si.com/2014/01/19/richard-sh ... -seahawks/

:D
bikewrecked
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:41 pm

Wow Depression Era lettering sure goes a long way.
xjmjx
Art Expert

Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:20 pm

Jason, I like the cut of your jib.

jason-bry wrote:
PLUSH wrote:
Yes, you are correct that he can't guarantee my liking of his suit. To be accurate, he's guaranteeing my satisfaction with the purchase, since I can always return it and get my money back if I do not like the suit (aggravation notwithstanding). That's why guaranteeing someone's opinion is a fool's errand. Choosing a "best artist" is all a matter of opinion. Even if you set up guidelines to determine "the best", aren't those guidelines subjective as well? What if the guidelines were "who could draw the best helmeted bird"? Who's to say the best artist is even a painter, or an illustrator? Maybe he/she is a sculptor, yet your guidelines don't even let him/her into the game.

It's the same reason I think figure skating and gymnastics aren't sports - yes, there are specific things a competitor must do, but the bulk of the "score" is opinion. Not performing the proscribed tasks only penalizes you mechanically. Contrast that with soccer, football, or any other sport with defined goals...you can say "boy, they looked good out there, too bad they lost", but the point is, they still lost. It's the old adage "there are no points for style". Yet even with measurables in sports, you cannot guarantee a "best" player.
Timbrh2001
Art Expert

Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:49 pm

jason-bry wrote:
PLUSH wrote:

I always used to wonder why I have absolutely no concept as to how they judge those fudge sports but then I realized that if I ever got to the point where I was able to judge those sports, I'd probably already be 3/4 of the way to offing myself anyways. Probably for the best that they remain a mystery to me.
Kdh12
Art Freak

Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:08 am

just when you think this place can't get any worse

we go and do something like this

and total prove that it has
mmmm Beer :pint: