Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
bmd1191
Art Expert

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:39 am

jlabbate wrote:Wolf of Wall St. is the only one I need a poster for
Yeah, I haven't seen any of the nominations yet but that is the only one I can see myself wanting a poster for.
Ainshol
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:42 am

Pretty bummed that there was no love for "RUSH" :?
ImageImageImage ImageImage
jjdungca
Art Expert

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:44 am

Ainshol wrote:Pretty bummed that there was no love for "RUSH" :?
This movie looks amazing. I just got it last night so I am watching it tonight.
ImageImageImage
jal9000
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:18 am

RambosRemodeler wrote:
bdm105 wrote:
Cheese318 wrote:
Scottjohnston wrote:ILD was great, but i doubt it will get nominated for any acting awards. Maybe best film, director, and music.
Bout to watch that tonight actually. Screener quality so I am looking forward to it. So far my favorite flick this year is Wolf of Wall Street. I thought Leo and Jonah were awesome in the movie. Not sure what everyone else thought but I definitely liked it better than American Hustle. AH was a good movie and I thought Jenifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper were great in that movie.
Haven't seen AH yet but will get around to it soon. So far i was most entertained by Wolf but i think 12 Years a Slave will win over it. I think Gravity will be the one nobody saw coming. Dallas Buyer's Club was also great. Still need to watch Her which is supposed to be very well done as well.

A lot of Oscar competition seemed to have come out of nowhere especially for best actor

American hustle was underwhelming. I was entertained but the movie was disappointing. Not sure why it's receiving as much praise as it is. I don't think it's one of the best of the films of the year.
:shock: Did you hear that? Did you? That was the sound of a friendship that just died! :?
chisoxfan2424
Art Expert

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:19 am

jjdungca wrote:
I liked it a lot.
rmoore wrote:Can't trust someone that doesn't like Jurassic Park...
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:24 am

chisoxfan2424 wrote:
jjdungca wrote:
I liked it a lot.
I did too. I was actually surprised at how much I enjoyed. Really solid flick.

@jal9000. We already consummated our friendship so your purpose has been served. ;) On to the next one.

honestly didn't dislike AH I just didn't think it was good enough to be getting all the attention it's received. Entertaining flick with some solid acting but I just didn't feel like it was one of the best movies of 2013.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
Timbrh2001
Art Expert

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:25 am

bmd1191 wrote:Oscar noms are up. Best picture category is American Hustle, Nebraska, 12 Years A Slave, Captain Phillips, Gravity, Her, Dallas Buyers Club, The Wolf of Wall Street, and Philomena
It's appalling to me to see American Hustle listed there. If I needed an annual reminder as to why I don't watch these awards, that would be it this year.
Nemesis01
Art Expert

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:28 am

Whys that? Haven't seen the movie but it seems to be getting high reviews etc
finneganm
Art Freak

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:29 am

American Hustle was wildly entertaining.

If Oscar nominations upset you, and you're not an actor/director/producer that feels like they were snubbed, you need to chill the drymount out. And if you're an actor/director/producer and you feel like you were snubbed, try harder next time, and console yourself in that very few other occupations hand out awards for people simply doing their jobs.
That's what she said
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:30 am

finneganm wrote:American Hustle was wildly entertaining.

If Oscar nominations upset you, and you're not an actor/director/producer that feels like they were snubbed, you need to chill the drymount out. And if you're an actor/director/producer and you feel like you were snubbed, try harder next time, and console yourself in that very few other occupations hand out awards for people simply doing their jobs.

Semi truth.

I got a plaque and a whataburger coupon for employee of the month in December :shock:
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
Timbrh2001
Art Expert

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:33 am

Nemesis01 wrote:Whys that? Haven't seen the movie but it seems to be getting high reviews etc
Just seemed to lack an original idea throughout. Its not a bad movie by any stretch, just Uninspiring. Id just demand more from a "best picture" nominee, that's all.
Prisco077
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:35 am

Timbrh2001 wrote:
bmd1191 wrote:Oscar noms are up. Best picture category is American Hustle, Nebraska, 12 Years A Slave, Captain Phillips, Gravity, Her, Dallas Buyers Club, The Wolf of Wall Street, and Philomena
It's appalling to me to see American Hustle listed there. If I needed an annual reminder as to why I don't watch these awards, that would be it this year.
I honestly don't get all the hate for American Hustle. It's a film that was universally acclaimed by critics, and one that audiences generally liked. It's not like they nominated a film like Extremely Loud and Incredibly close, which was not well received. I guess I'm not so much defending the film, but the hate on the nomination.
whiskaz
Art Expert

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:37 am

Would you say it was a star studded hit? The must-see film of 2013? ;)
finneganm
Art Freak

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:38 am

whiskaz wrote:
A)Would you say it was a star studded hit? B)The must-see film of 2013? ;)
A)Yup
B)Nope
That's what she said
Timbrh2001
Art Expert

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:39 am

whiskaz wrote:
Would you say it was a star studded hit? The must-see film of 2013? ;)
Pretty much exactly what it was. A film that is money in the bank for Hollywood. Probably why the critics loved it so much too.