Sam Gets Request 13 Durieux

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
upseeker
Art Expert

Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:51 pm

Agreed. Imho the variant captures the light and air of N.Africa. The blue is too :shock: ! My first by Laurent! :clap:
fourthstooge
Art Expert

Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:47 am

I've wanted this one since seeing his teasers on Facebook. The blue he has been using is really striking. I suspect this is going to be like the last few of his that I've picked up where I unroll them and they are 10 times better than the online image. The $75 price tag for a regular does seem like the gallery is really sticking it to us, though. Still, his stuff is just amazing. I lost count of how many I have and I just can't get enough. I've got a list of older movies I'd like to see him do!
I used to be a collector...now I'm a hoarder.
time
Art Expert

Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:54 am

KNEEL13 wrote:
wneff wrote:I like how the S encircles the incoming plane.
I didn't notice the plane until you mentioned it. :oops:

I think I will watch this movie tonight. It's been a while.

And of course Bogie's hat on the right side just sitting there as a subtle reminder....
TSgtJedi
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:39 pm

jkw3000 wrote:Beautiful print, just always feels like there may be a better sentence than "Sam Gets Requests" (probably why they had a mock of "Sam The Pianist")...then again, I'm weird and just find the phonetics of it to be a little off.

Feels like the existing image would work perfectly (including the lack of Bogie) if it read (in quotes) "As Time Goes By," maybe with smaller text saying "Performed by Sam the Pianist" somewhere under it or near the bottom. Still a gig poster and, as a movie poster, would work in capturing a particular scene.

Just a thought. Again...still looks beautiful. Oh Durieux...

Even though I enjoy this exactly as is. The only other phrase i could have gone for would be "Sam, Plays It"..
automator
Nobody

Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:46 pm

New image Sam Gets Requests 13 Durieux
Certificate of Authenticity Signed and Numbered by the Artist

time
Art Expert

Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:42 pm

Name of this thread needs to be corrected to Sam Gets "Requests" (not "Request") please...
fredo
Art God

Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:58 pm

...and Mike D gets respect. Yeah, the text makes not much sense to me.

Maybe text saying "Sam Plays It" and a thought bubble coming out of Bergman's head: "AGAIN?!??!"
just a foil for me today, thanks
stuarthimsley
Art Expert

Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:40 pm

This print is much darker in person, which muddies the artwork to the point where the dark blue shadows of the trees are barely distinguishable from the lighter blue sky. It's kind of disappointing to be honest.
automator
Nobody

Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:08 pm

New image Sam Gets Requests 13 Durieux
Wood Edition

sockjuice
New User

Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:41 pm

I did a quick mock up with no text.
greedy21
Art Expert

Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:05 pm

Variant arrived today, it looks killer in person. LD does some real incredible work, I think the color scheme works great on this.
automator
Nobody

Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:09 pm

New image Sam Gets Requests 13 Durieux - Regular
Much darker and deeper maroon/blue colored in person, not as orange as the online pics.

Lomier66
Art Expert

Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:23 pm

+ 1 on the Reg.

Can't believe these are still up as its a beautiful looking print :? Had been putting it off for the sake of the wallet but a re watch of Casablanca yesterday directed me back to Phonebooth's site quick sharpe :lol: Was shocked yet pleased to see others had passed and I was able to get a belated score :D

Love the nods to Ricks presence with his hat and the third champaign glass.

The detailing on Sam's piano is also :shock:
HAND DRAWN 1/1 OG's COMING SOON http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:17 am

Watched Casablanca for the first time last night. Great flick. Was really struck by the use of lighting and shadows in almost every frame of the movie. :shock: And how shockingly gorgeous Ingrid Bergman is. :shock: :shock:

So of course, thought of this print and came back to look at it again with new eyes. Like most, not a fan of the huge title, but goddamn do I love how LD incorporated the lights and shadow, especially in the tiled floor and on the piano. In my perfect world, the regular edition would have used the variant colors and the variant would be the same image without the center text.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
Lomier66
Art Expert

Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:19 am

earlgreytoast wrote:Watched Casablanca for the first time last night. Great flick. Was really struck by the use of lighting and shadows in almost every frame of the movie
The shots in Rick's office! :drool: every time. Just beautiful cinematography.

Agree that the title placement is a little odd but the rest of it is just so great and as there aren't many good Casablanca prints about I jumped on this one. Can't wait to see it in person.
HAND DRAWN 1/1 OG's COMING SOON http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/