Andrew Ghrist - News and Rumors Thread

General art-related discussion.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:27 pm

EDITED title to make this an overall thread for talking about new projects by Andrew.

I think this was probably for that private commission group but I didn't see any pics here so figured I'd post a few from his tumblr

ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
ClaytonHopper
Art Expert

Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:53 pm

That one above was a private commission, although Andrew has a some other work that can be found here:
http://expressobeans.com/public/search. ... st&class=0

Andrew is a young, up and coming Artist who obviously has talent as you can see from his work. Great Job greenhorn for starting this thread, I'm sure we will see a bunch of work in the future as well! :clap:

ag4.jpg
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:36 am

Poor man's Hork.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
ClaytonHopper
Art Expert

Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:03 am

Codeblue wrote:Poor man's Hork.
Maybe for now.. Better than poor man's (insert any other artist) I'm sure give him a few years to develop his talent and he'll seperate himself a little more.
antics
Art Enthusiast

Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:17 am

Looking forward to see what he does in the future.
TOTM
Art Expert

Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:23 am

ClaytonHopper wrote:
Codeblue wrote:Poor man's Hork.
Maybe for now.. Better than poor man's (insert any other artist) I'm sure give him a few years to develop his talent and he'll seperate himself a little more.
And his own style.
fourthstooge
Art Expert

Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:25 am

Drawing for new project...looks cool.

I used to be a collector...now I'm a hoarder.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:30 am

Isn't he only like 20 or something? I'm pretty sure this isn't even his full time job. Good luck to this guy and if he seriously buckles down he could be no joke. Looks like he's got some serious talent.
jeter0204
Art Expert

Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:40 am

63schoeffling wrote:Isn't he only like 20 or something? I'm pretty sure this isn't even his full time job. Good luck to this guy and if he seriously buckles down he could be no joke. Looks like he's got some serious talent.
Yes he is currently in Art school and does all of the screen printing himself. The top photo is the one we commisioned from him and looks amazing. We should be shipping those out to everyone in about a week.
ImageImageImage
danieldanger wrote: "...IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN STOUT. WHY WASNT IT STOUT? MY GOD PEOPLE, WE COULD BE HOLDING STOUT POSTERS RIGHT NOW."
mistersmith
Art Freak

Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:14 pm

I had more to say (surprise!) but for now let's just say...dude has a long way to go, and I hope that, in the very near future, he starts drawing like himself.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:21 pm

mistersmith wrote:I had more to say (surprise!) but for now let's just say...dude has a long way to go, and I hope that, in the very near future, he starts drawing like himself.
Damn man, cut the guy a break. Takes time to find your style.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:30 pm

jrsheppa wrote:
mistersmith wrote:I had more to say (surprise!) but for now let's just say...dude has a long way to go, and I hope that, in the very near future, he starts drawing like himself.
What I said up there was me cutting the guy a break. And you don't find your style inside someone else's.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
fourthstooge
Art Expert

Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:36 pm

mistersmith wrote:
jrsheppa wrote:
What I said up there was me cutting the guy a break. And you don't find your style inside someone else's.
I'm a big fan of an Art Nouveau artist named M.P. Verneuil. He was a student of Eugene Grasset. You can hardly tell their work apart. In the old days, a master took on a talented student and that student copied their style and often did parts of their work. Many old masters did the layouts of their paintings and detail stuff but would have students do the lesser parts. Anyway, it's common for artists to draw inspiration from other artists.

If you look at Andrew's tumblr page, you'll see things that he follows, which include Aaron Horkey and lots of other illustrators. The guy does work with pen and ink and if you do that these days, Horkey is THE MAN and you're going to study his work because you don't look for shitty references...you look at the best.

There are definitely some similarities between Andrew's work and Horkey's. If you look at his stuff, though, you'll see that he's into steampunk and that style has machinery an Victorian lettering and decoration.

Still, he's a young guy and does some pretty killer work. He's only going to get better.
I used to be a collector...now I'm a hoarder.
mrkyuss
Art God

Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:53 am

The ultimate Hork fan.
President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
TOTM
Art Expert

Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:09 am

Please know I'm only talking here & enjoying the discussion…
fourthstooge wrote:I'm a big fan of an Art Nouveau artist named M.P. Verneuil. He was a student of Eugene Grasset. You can hardly tell their work apart. In the old days, a master took on a talented student and that student copied their style and often did parts of their work. Many old masters did the layouts of their paintings and detail stuff but would have students do the lesser parts. Anyway, it's common for artists to draw inspiration from other artists.
Not sure what this has got do with anything at all, pretty sure Horkey hasn't taken him on board, nor probably ever will as a student, apprentice or even in a assistant capacity. Drawing inspiration is fine but when your work leans heavily more towards imitation, when you're obviously going for a look that another artist has made his own for several years... Best you have the skills to pay the bills! I'm sorry but that Holmes is woefully worlds apart & not even close to the standard of the countless other Horkey imitators already out there. To be fair, I think it's got more to with the private group's wishes more than anything…
fourthstooge wrote: If you look at Andrew's tumblr page, you'll see things that he follows, which include Aaron Horkey and lots of other illustrators. The guy does work with pen and ink and if you do that these days, Horkey is THE MAN and you're going to study his work because you don't look for shitty references...you look at the best.
Horkey may well be THE MAN but honestly, he still is far from the best. There are numerous illustrators going 'round just as good, if not better… Obviously he's great at what he does & plays to his strengths but he's still very limited in what he can do. Zouravliov, for a quick example, is a far superior draftsman.
fourthstooge wrote:There are definitely some similarities between Andrew's work and Horkey's. If you look at his stuff, though, you'll see that he's into steampunk and that style has machinery an Victorian lettering and decoration.
There are yes, he's just lacking in the design & execution department. It does & with all due respect to the artist, this just isn't a very good example of it.