Viv's backyard flatfile refurb thread

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:32 am

Looking nice, Viv - nice to see you both around and apparently "growing" your collection...

For the record, MDF is absolutely NOT particle board. Medium Density Fiberboard. Basically, it's a mix of glue, sawdust, and "other chemicals" (mostly formaldehyde as I recall, but other good stuff). Nasty to rout although it takes pretty much any shape well and - you're right - can be relatively easy to get a very clean finish.

If you're building a full box to fit around the file, I wouldn't worry too much about needing to screw thru into it -- barring it tipping over, there is no way that it's going to shift out of the MDF case with that amount of weight. I'd agree with your assessment on weight distribution, should be good. But we don't have dimensions here. If it's a ~28x40 size cabinet, then I'd think 4 casters is enough. If you're more in the ~38x54 range then another caster or two in the middle to catch sag might not be a bad idea - much harder to add afterwards...
Tra la la la la...
comical_imbalance
Art Expert

Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:24 pm

Hey B, thanks for checking in! If there's a guy around here that knows how to put slabs of wood together, it's gonna be you!

In truth, my collection hasn't grown an awful lot, but my previous file IS full, and there are a lot of large posters that don't fit in it simply because of their length. My old file will be demoted to housing all my old stencils I think.

This cabinet in approx 850mm x 1200mm, which I guess is about 33x47 inches. Given that the wheels I am using are 8 bucks each, I might throw an extra one in the middle as an insurance policy.

In terms of the screwing, I am more concerned about the metal and MDF flexing at different rates while the cabinet is transported to its new home. I don't want to fill gaps and paint, just to have cracks form at the seams when I move it. Like a lot of furniture, I guess these things are built to be strong in a downwards direction. Things might go a bit wonky when I turn it sideways to get it through the door of my house!
"Will you tell me what you saw and I'll tell you what you missed"
comical_imbalance
Art Expert

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:05 pm

comical_imbalance
Art Expert

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:07 pm

Tonight's instalment.

Not hugely exciting, but progress all the same. With the base built, I can get the biscuit joiner into action and add the back, sides, and lid.

ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:52 pm

comical_imbalance wrote:Tonight's instalment.

Not hugely exciting, but progress all the same. With the base built, I can get the biscuit joiner into action and add the back, sides, and lid.

mmmmm.... biscuit joiner.... Oh and how many beers is that in time lapse? :lol:
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump
comical_imbalance
Art Expert

Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:50 am

Base with wheels is done.
Today I aimed to get the cabinet made. I also decided to do some dodgy bondo filling on the front face of the metal cabinet.
Pretty happy with everything so far.

iambillyg
Art Freak

Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:37 pm

Glad to see the bondo worked out for you.

Great progress!
comical_imbalance
Art Expert

Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:16 am

So, anyone got tips for removing these handles?
I reckon the front of the drawers has had plenty of knocks and maybe bent the screws a little. Was hoping to remove the handles for painting. Any tips from the pros?
iambillyg
Art Freak

Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:23 am

comical_imbalance wrote:So, anyone got tips for removing these handles?
I reckon the front of the drawers has had plenty of knocks and maybe bent the screws a little. Was hoping to remove the handles for painting. Any tips from the pros?
You should be able to unscrew them from inside the drawer, on the opposite side of the face?

That is how all of mine have been. The screw is inside.
comical_imbalance
Art Expert

Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:31 am

Yeh I got the first couple of drawers done, no worries. It was a bit tricky with the head of the screw being really close to the base of the drawer.
Problem is with the 3rd and 4th drawers I got to. The screw won't turn, because I think it is slightly bent, and I can't get a really good purchase on the screw head because of how close it is the floor of the drawer. Temporary setback...
comical_imbalance
Art Expert

Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:25 am

ToolFanFromWayBack wrote:.... Oh and how many beers is that in time lapse? :lol:
Only three, and even then, that was across a couple of shed sessions and about 6 hours.
Steamrail: Ghost of Eyre, Brash: Cold Ass Honky, Brew Cult: Acid Freaks
Quality > Quantity :)
comical_imbalance
Art Expert

Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:24 am

Just about ready to undercoat these pieces.
Have organised to get some long clamps so I can glue up the MDF case.
I'll be out of town for a week or so, so the next update may be the final painting. Fingers crossed.

Handles, post cleanup.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:27 pm

Those handles look nice! I was going to replace mine, but found that the distance between the posts was a really odd size and couldn't find any replacements. Ended up polishing and reusing the originals. Kind of a good thing because the handles I looked at were expensive.
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump
Hephaestus
Art Enthusiast

Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:52 pm

Ya I was considering handle replacement as well but I have a 10 drawer and I was looking at $60+ to replace. Still need to get a picture up now that my refurb is finished.......
comical_imbalance
Art Expert

Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:13 pm

As of tonight the case is prepped with 2 undercoats, and all the drawers have been stripped and primed.
Weather permitting, paint day will be this weekend. Gloss white. Hopefully comes out as classy as I hope!