Henrik Uldalen - "Floating" 07/05/13

General art-related discussion.
Ken
Art Expert

Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:34 pm

I'm very excited to announce the release of our latest fine art print with Henrik Aa Uldalen, happening this Friday, July 5th via Spoke Art.

Here are the details:

Henrik Aa Uldalen: "Floating"
Fine art giclee print, produced with archival Epson HDR inks on our 300# Italian-produced cold press watercolor paper.
15" x 15" paper size (12" x 12" image size)
Signed and numbered
Edition of 75
$40

Releasing Friday, July 5th at approximately 3pm PST in the Fine Art Prints section of our online store (http://store.spoke-art.com/collections/fine-art-prints)

To learn more about the artist, please visit his website here: http://henrikaau.com/
Last edited by Ken on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
appletree
Art Expert

Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:41 pm

Sweet. Will purchase for sure. Congrats on the release.

I contacted Henrik a while back in regards to his releases. I have been wanting these:
http://henrikaau.com/post/13297233778
http://henrikaau.com/post/13398358895
http://henrikaau.com/post/35201693136
<3 + Image = T.H.C.

:::Johnathon Powers Photography:::
Sail wrote:it was all just a misunderstandingtree.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:42 pm

appletree wrote:Sweet. Will purchase for sure. Congrats on the release.
Me too. I love this. Nice work :clap:
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
Celsius
Flipper

Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:49 pm

Only $40?!?!
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

https://plushart.club
Ken
Art Expert

Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:53 pm

Celsius wrote:Only $40?!?!
Yup! Henrik specifically asked that we offer an entry-level price point on this one, so it's a great opportunity for new fans to pick up something that's both limited and beautiful, at a great price!
trarex
Art Expert

Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:17 pm

Nice piece with a nice price.
Winner. :clap:
"Lay off Detroit, Them peoples is living in Mad Max times." Moe Szyslak
rubberneck
Art God

Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:43 pm

How are the hands?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
middayshadows
Art Expert

Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:53 pm

Ken wrote:
Celsius wrote:Only $40?!?!
Yup! Henrik specifically asked that we offer an entry-level price point on this one, so it's a great opportunity for new fans to pick up something that's both limited and beautiful, at a great price!
Seriously awesome :clap:
mrkyuss
Art God

Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:06 pm

An XL version would have been nice Ken.
President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
jlabbate
Art Freak

Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:04 pm

trarex wrote:Nice piece with a nice price.
Winner. :clap:
:pint:
Ken
Art Expert

Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:39 pm

mrkyuss wrote:An XL version would have been nice Ken.
Couldn't agree more! On this particular release we wanted to keep it small and affordable. We'll keep the larger print option on the table for the next release with Henrik, thanks for the suggestion!
Ken
Art Expert

Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:42 pm

In preparation for his upcoming print release with Spoke Art, Henrik Aa. Uldalen sat down with Alex Ziv from Exhibition.ism Magazine to discuss his work, inspirations and the new print. Read more below!

1. When did you learn you wanted to become an artist?
The thought of being an artist has been on and off since I was very young. It wasn’t until I first tried oil painting some 7 years ago, that I really decided to actually do this. Before that I was planning to be fine art teacher in elementary school.

2. Who are some influences and inspirations for you today?
These days I get a huge amount of inspirations from movies and music. Anything that can put me in the mood that I want to express for myself goes. I also get inspired by other artists working with the visual, but the list is never ending. Old masters, contemporary representiative artists, photographers, digital concept art, anything.

3. Your paintings depict figures floating in semi-contemplative euphoric spaces that seem to have been captured just as the transcending experience occurs, can you tell us a little about these moments depicted?
This print release, “Floating”, is of a moment like you describe, but other paintings are not necessarily captured in that moment. It all depends on what I want to express.

4. Some of your paintings retain a minimal mental aesthetic, while others contain dream-like surreal backgrounds recognizable from real life, how do you choose to include a recognizable background or not in your paintings?
Even though I work fairly organized with painting, this part of the process is very loose. Sometimes I want to talk about something concrete, and go out and actively seeks for something that captures that feeling, but most of times I just want to find a new and better way to express something I’ve expressed before. Most of the things I want to express are abstract feelings, and if I come over something that captures me visually, then I’ll try it.

5. You recently moved from Oslo to Spain, how does Spain compare? How has the transition been?
The transition has been very good, and I’m happy I moved. The reason was mostly to just put myself out there, and stir things up a bit. A search for high emotions, either it’s bad or good. I also don’t mind the warm weather and tapas.

6. Your paintings seem to reflect a color palette seen in the northern regions of Europe (cooler hues of blues and grey), do you feel your move to Spain may influence your color choices?
I honestly don’t think it will. Right now, the color palette I use is for me the perfect language to describe what I want. But you never know, I’m always in search of better ways, and maybe I’ll try something new out, and find myself in a new direction. I always try out new colors and ways to describe for instance skin tones, but the warmer colors has still not captured me as the cool does.

7. The figures you choose to paint seem to be people that may be found in everyday life, who are they and how do you choose them?
It all varies from painting to painting. Before I mostly painted close friends, because of the obvious practical reasons. But I’m getting better at asking random people that has something captivating about their appearance. But of course, it’s not always as easy to convince them that I’m not a creep pretending to paint, but a creep that actually paint.

8. What is your perfect working environment for you? Some dream projects you’ve always wanted to execute?
I think that I work best in the company of others. I don’t need a lot of social stimulation, but just having people around me, not necessarily even talking. But just having life there. So the most difficult part of moving, is that I now paint by myself in my apartment. Which I’m not used to. 

I have always wanted to find a good studio in NYC, or perhaps Brooklyn, with other artists just around the area. I think it’s a doable dream.

9. Your new print with Spoke Art is based on the painting “Floating”, why have you chosen this painting above all the others?
This painting has always struck something in me. Not that I get moved by my own work, but visually I think it’s one of the stronger pieces I’ve done, even though I think I could have done a lot of things better technically. I should probably have put it up as a print a long time ago.

10. What’s next for you? Any big exhibits coming up?
I have recently found new representation in NYC, Arcadia Fine Arts, so I will contribute to a few group shows there this coming fall. And in January next year I will have a show in Thinkspace, LA, together with the amazing painter Seamus Conely. Followed up by a show in Rook and Raven, London.
HappaHaoli
Art Expert

Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:44 pm

appletree wrote:I contacted Henrik a while back in regards to his releases. I have been wanting these:
http://henrikaau.com/post/13297233778
http://henrikaau.com/post/13398358895
http://henrikaau.com/post/35201693136
Did your lovely fiance sign off on that, Austin?

I never had interest in his earlier prints (appletree's choices are another story entirely) but I like this one a lot.

Well done to Henrik and Ken on the pricing too!
Image x6 ImageImage x2
"I had this dream where I relished the fray, and the screaming filled my head all day."
Ken
Art Expert

Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:46 pm

Just a friendly reminder that this print will be available in approximately an hour and 15 minutes (3PM PST).

We're also happy to announce that a custom framing option will be available for collectors who are interested in getting this print on their wall quickly and affordably. Framing includes a custom built wooden frame, thick 8ply mat (acid free), along with acid free backing, rice paper hinges and shatterproof UV-resistant archival plexiglass. Framing is an extra $100 plus shipping, which is our cost.

Good luck everyone!

bkboy77
Art Expert

Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:13 pm

good price on the framing Ken!
fung430 wrote:Expressobeans knows everything.