Odd City Entertainment

General art-related discussion.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:00 am

summoner wrote:
willg wrote:Never realized there was so much man love for Swayze.
It was the SNL skit.
Ironically enough, a few days after the sub drop we got talking about stripper-grams and it morphed into the Farley/Swayze skit. No clue how, but it all comes full circle.
binky79
Art Expert

Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:04 am

It definitely sounds like more of a xxxxxxx vs David than a Mondo vs Odd City thing. Almost all of Mondo is really great. Mo, Justin B., Eric and more were great last night making sure everything was going smoothly and that everybody was having fun. Some people were content to sit out in the lot behind the patio and smoke and talk on the phone the whole time...
yingko
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:44 am

kryptonite wrote:I wouldn't be so quick to jump the gun.

This is an indirect callout. Narrowing it down, it's clear who's being discussed. If there was a friendship there, if trust was established and process was exchanged...if RM learned from this and ultimately used any of that information, any of those contacts or any of those artists that Mondo has made up its roster with...it's understandable Mondo would feel a sense of betrayal, and rightfully so. Now, that's purely speculative, but I stick by it. Mondo is good people, what we're hearing is heavily biased and may not be the whole story...so don't be so quick to light the torches.

With that said, RM seems like a stand up guy and I wish him the best. I look forward to seeing what OC releases next. Cheers.
I've found it terribly easy to make contact with the artists Mondo uses. I've emailed several of them discussing their work, so I don't think he'd really be stealing contacts. Unless it was a biggie, like Struzan, for example, and that may take an introduction.
selenite
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:44 am

Man, if you didn't think you'd made it yet, you know you have now. This is like a great superhero origin story. Now you must crush them. :notworthy:
harrykeogh
Art Expert

Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:52 am

finneganm wrote:Sounds like someone at Mondo is a bit of a drama queen
Seems like both of them are to me. Don't give a fudge though. Will still buy from both.
theperfecttree
EB Team

Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:07 pm

:roll: at all of this and most of the comments.
jimbobiii
Art Expert

Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:21 pm

This is an indirect callout. Narrowing it down, it's clear who's being discussed. If there was a friendship there, if trust was established and process was exchanged...if RM learned from this and ultimately used any of that information, any of those contacts or any of those artists that Mondo has made up its roster with...it's understandable Mondo would feel a sense of betrayal, and rightfully so. Now, that's purely speculative, but I stick by it. Mondo is good people, what we're hearing is heavily biased and may not be the whole story...so don't be so quick to light the torches.

With that said, RM seems like a stand up guy and I wish him the best. I look forward to seeing what OC releases next. Cheers.
Wait, process and studio contacts? Did Roman work with Mondo at some point or something? I thought he was just a big fan?
kryptonite
Art Expert

Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:35 pm

jimbobiii wrote:

Wait, process and studio contacts? Did Roman work with Mondo at some point or something? I thought he was just a big fan?
No, no, no. He was just good friends, as mentioned in his earlier post. Again, the only reason I mentioned this (purely speculative) is because the mob-attacks on Mondo.

To put it into a different perspective...imagine you had a [somewhat] original business model and a good friend who loved what you did. That friend supported you, asked you questions, etc. There was a trust built up there and you opened up in some instances (or not.) If he started using that knowledge (or even just your artists, perhaps also winning exclusive licenses you could now no longer obtain), how would you feel when he showed up to your party? There's a sense of betrayal there.

I'd like to be clear I'm not saying RM betrayed Mondo – that's a silly accusation for me to make. I also think competition is good and needed. I'm trying to see the perspective of the employee who booted him since I feel it's unfair we're only getting one side of it, and people are being so quick to make judgements.

I rescind any justification I believed that Mondo employee had to boot RM. As another member mentioned, that's not the right answer. With all that said, I believe that many of us might do – or at least be tempted to do – the same thing if we were in the same situation—friendship/back-story involved, not purely out of a "squash-the-competition" mentality.
Last edited by kryptonite on Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sceazy
Art Expert

Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:43 pm

I'm hoping this whole situation stirs up a sense of competition on Mondos part, they've been the big dogs for a while now with no one even really coming close to what they do. It would be nice for them to start focusing more on the quality over quantity of releases and now with Odd City stepping up to the plate they're forced to do that. This is definitely a competition that we as collectors all benefit from and I'm excited to see how this all pans out. Douchey move on the part of whoever kicked out Roman, but its got to be nice to be seen as competition by the folks at Mondo. Looking forward to whatever Odd City has in store for us. :pint:
ryanfromindiana wrote:drymount all of you crying about missing, you probably aren't even true fans.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ArtPrint/
kryptonite
Art Expert

Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:45 pm

Sceazy wrote:I'm hoping this whole situation stirs up a sense of competition on Mondos part, they've been the big dogs for a while now with no one even really coming close to what they do. It would be nice for them to start focusing more on the quality over quantity of releases and now with Odd City stepping up to the plate they're forced to do that. This is definitely a competition that we as collectors all benefit from and I'm excited to see how this all pans out. Douchey move on the part of whoever kicked out Roman, but its got to be nice to be seen as competition by the folks at Mondo. Looking forward to whatever Odd City has in store for us. :pint:
Yup.
lilorphanFunkhouser
Art Expert

Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:45 pm

what a kitty move on whoever kicked you out, sorry to hear that Roman.
アキラImage
"Gkohler"-it only takes 1 idiot to throw that much cash at something for it to instantly be "worth" that much.
"Celsius"- Welcome to Expressobeans, bitch.
wizzack
Art Expert

Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:47 pm

A shame I almost missed this thread. :D

Don't drymount with MONDO CORP. Whoever has the money has the power.

OBEY
wizzack
Art Expert

Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:48 pm

PS - "keeping it pure since 2012"

:lol:
jojobadass
Art God

Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:48 pm

Speaking of brand loyalty, you guys remember that justin was supposed to go w/ tim to nakatomi right?

Whoops
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
Ctg9095
Art Expert

Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:59 pm

So Roman getting kicked out of the gallery opening is probably the best thing that could've happened for OCE :lol: