My newest flat file - can it be restored?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
wottagunn
Art Expert

Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:19 am

I managed to pick up this flat file for peanuts, but as you can see its best days are behind it.
The top right corner simply needs a rivet to hold it back down, and one drawer is missing too. It has a few scuffs and dents obviously too.

Aside from the dents, do you think this can be restored to a reasonable level? I would like to turn this into a coffee table as others have done here, including the cutout for a glass top.
I'm thinking over sanding it back to black, then pre-coating it, followed by a black paint, then a gloss seal to finish it.

Has anyone had one in a condition like this? Just want opinions on if I should go ahead with a full restore or simply use it as a flatfile in the shed. Cheers.

Last edited by wottagunn on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
kansasbbq
Art God

Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:29 am

I'm sure it can be restored, but the missing drawer would bother the heck out of me.
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
Grtdane06
Art Expert

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:33 am

Trim the entire bottom in wood to make it look like it has a small base - this would cover the missing drawer.

To tie it all together put a matching piece of wood as a top, this would also hide your fix to the top right hand corner. Then you can always add your glass top on top.

Just my 0.02!

Cheers Paul
Replete wrote:Thanks GD and fittingly that was your 666th post :evil:
HappaHaoli
Art Expert

Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:25 am

Restoration Step 1. Start with a different flat file

I kid because you are way more ambitious than I am. Best of luck on the refurb, I've seen others here turn barn finds into gems.
Image x6 ImageImage x2
"I had this dream where I relished the fray, and the screaming filled my head all day."
wottagunn
Art Expert

Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:06 am

HappaHaoli wrote:Restoration Step 1. Start with a different flat file

I kid because you are way more ambitious than I am. Best of luck on the refurb, I've seen others here turn barn finds into gems.
Ha, cheers mate. I'm keen to try this, and if it doesn't turn out its no real big loss. I'll post some process pics as I go.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:23 am

Bondo can be used for the dents.

Initial thought: Remove all drawers. Cut off the bottom bearings and drawer liners. Lay a sheet of foam core in the bottom. You can use this as a secondary flattening station for prints. The foam core should be easy to remove and slide in, and the space would allow for a set of Corky's poster weights (http://corkys.bigcartel.com) [use iambillyg as a reference].

Second thought: Remove all the drawers. Cut off the bottom bearings and drawer liners. Measure the space. Build a drawer out of wood that will fit inside the bottom section. You can use this as storage for things like: tape, labels, scissors, kraft paper, tissue paper, extra caps, etc.

Rather than looking at the missing drawer as a negative, look at it as a positive. It's one less drawer for you to have the desire to fill with expensive prints and, instead, could be used for other things that go into the hobby.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:48 pm

iambillyg wrote: Initial thought: Remove all drawers. Cut off the bottom bearings and drawer liners. Lay a sheet of foam core in the bottom. You can use this as a secondary flattening station for prints. The foam core should be easy to remove and slide in, and the space would allow for a set of Corky's poster weights (http://corkys.bigcartel.com) [use iambillyg as a reference].

Rather than looking at the missing drawer as a negative, look at it as a positive. It's one less drawer for you to have the desire to fill with expensive prints and, instead, could be used for other things that go into the hobby.
Thanks for your input. This idea ^ sounds great. I have obviously looked over your flat file thread and that's where my inspiration has come from :D
So, you're saying that the foam core would be lying on the ground/floor? And using the flat file as a housing in a way (just for that bottom space)?
mcgraw23
Art Expert

Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:56 am

I think the idea is to have an open section in the cabinet that's tall enough to easily place a print with some poster weights on it or an open space for tubes, kraft paper, etc. It'd be like having a bottom shelf above the base. Depending upon how you want to have it set up (on a frame with casters or a solid frame) the foamcore would likely sit flush on whatever you use as a base framework. At least that's my interpretation of what iambillyg suggested.
A Lannister always pays his debts.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:31 am

mcgraw23 wrote:I think the idea is to have an open section in the cabinet that's tall enough to easily place a print with some poster weights on it or an open space for tubes, kraft paper, etc. It'd be like having a bottom shelf above the base. Depending upon how you want to have it set up (on a frame with casters or a solid frame) the foamcore would likely sit flush on whatever you use as a base framework. At least that's my interpretation of what iambillyg suggested.
Yep, I think you pretty much nailed it.
I'm excited to get started.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:13 am

Started this on the weekend. Sanded it back, applied a few undercoats, then tried the black. Just some progress shots.

mcgraw23
Art Expert

Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:59 am

Looks like good progress! :clap: Keep it up and keep and updates coming!
A Lannister always pays his debts.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:02 pm

mcgraw23 wrote:Looks like good progress! :clap: Keep it up and keep and updates coming!
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
BlakeAronson
Flipper

Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:34 pm

i would have just bought a sheet or two of 1/4" birch plywood and a few tubes of liquid nails. if you have a table saw or saw horses/work bench/circular saw you could have covered it all up, stained it with a wipe on gel stain and wipe on poly and been done in a single day.
8=====D~~~~
natepachl
Art Expert

Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:42 pm

BlakeAronson wrote:i would have just bought a sheet or two of 1/4" birch plywood and a few tubes of liquid nails. if you have a table saw or saw horses/work bench/circular saw you could have covered it all up, stained it with a wipe on gel stain and wipe on poly and been done in a single day.
Where was this comment last week when I started my refurb. Great idea.
I wouldn't deal with JakeStanley / eBay user fratdaddyjake
wottagunn
Art Expert

Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:47 pm

natepachl wrote:
BlakeAronson wrote:i would have just bought a sheet or two of 1/4" birch plywood and a few tubes of liquid nails. if you have a table saw or saw horses/work bench/circular saw you could have covered it all up, stained it with a wipe on gel stain and wipe on poly and been done in a single day.
Where was this comment last week when I started my refurb. Great idea.
Haha same here. Not a bad idea.