Mike Mitchell's Thread of Amazing Things

General art-related discussion.
middayshadows
Art Expert

Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:39 am

+ 1 E.T. - really quite happy, I love the print. It has such a great feel to it.

I chatted with Mike around the time he made it. Not sure if people are aware of this, but he was requested to portray that shot in the film specifically.
Benjames500
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:00 am

Gah! Now that was not a nice drop for people in the UK fingers crossed mike chooses a better time to drop the portraits so us international folk have a shot!
cutterbutter
Art Expert

Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:09 am

middayshadows wrote:+ 1 E.T. - really quite happy, I love the print. It has such a great feel to it.

I chatted with Mike around the time he made it. Not sure if people are aware of this, but he was requested to portray that shot in the film specifically.
I believe it was discussed when the image was originally released. There was a lot of backlash to it just being purely a photocopy, and having no artistic input blah blah bullshit. But it would be interesting to hear about more WIP from Mike. Or at least tidbits/writeups when he puts something new out.
middayshadows
Art Expert

Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:13 am

cutterbutter wrote:
middayshadows wrote:+ 1 E.T. - really quite happy, I love the print. It has such a great feel to it.

I believe it was discussed when the image was originally released. There was a lot of backlash to it just being purely a photocopy, and having no artistic input blah blah bullshit. But it would be interesting to hear about more WIP from Mike. Or at least tidbits/writeups when he puts something new out.
Yeah, I think I might've mentioned it back then in the thread for the print.

Hear hear, I'd definitely love to hear from Mike about his process.
kebo
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:21 am

nobody wants the scarface variant???
treejam1
Art Expert

Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:26 am

kebo wrote:nobody wants the scarface variant???
Old news
sirmitchell
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:39 pm

middayshadows wrote:
cutterbutter wrote:

Yeah, I think I might've mentioned it back then in the thread for the print.

Hear hear, I'd definitely love to hear from Mike about his process.
Mondo asked me if I would like to do a poster portraying that scene, which is a defining moment of the film. I understand it's similar to the scene in the movie, but that was sort of the point. I still had to draw everything on it's own, and the angle is a bit different, so I don't know why people got up in arms about it.

Anyways, E.T. is Lauren's (my wifes) favorite movie, which was the number one reason I accepted it. Had there been more time, I probably would have petitioned to do something different, but with the time I had, I was happy with what I created, which was poster with a vintage feel that invoked nostalgia.
brndfrmd
Art Expert

Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:47 pm

Haters gonna hate! The vibe coming from this thing is electric. Very nostalgic, makes me wanna cry.
Top ISO: John Waters Marathon 07 by Little Friends of Printmaking
Ctg9095
Art Expert

Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:49 pm

Just got this mean bitch back today

toobs
Art Expert

Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:14 pm

Ctg9095 wrote:Just got this mean bitch back today

oooohhh purdy
Codeblue wrote:Ya know they'll put out at least 1 "ZOMG gotta rub mah nuts on another dukes butt to get in line for it" poster.
jjdungca
Art Expert

Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:35 pm

Nice frame up job! Looks sexy!
ImageImageImage
phips
Art Expert

Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:49 am

couldnt you have saved some $$ by not including the inner yellow mat?
alexphoto01
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:56 am

phips wrote:couldnt you have saved some $$ by not including the inner yellow mat?
You wouldn't have the same depth
lsmith55
Art Expert

Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:58 am

Ctg9095 wrote:Just got this mean bitch back today

That looks DAMN good. :clap:
Ctg9095
Art Expert

Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:19 pm

phips wrote:couldnt you have saved some $$ by not including the inner yellow mat?
Probably, but I wanted it to have more depth and I actually needed to spend more to go over my limit (I had a large giftcard to the local framers and since I'm moving soon I needed to use it all up asap). Never knew it would be so hard to spend $1000... I had to keep going back to the premade frames section and grab more :lol: