Phantom of the Opera 13 Durieux Release Discussion 06/06/13

The place to discuss and anticipate new art releases.
automator
Nobody

Thu May 30, 2013 2:24 am

This topic is dedicated to release discussion for Phantom of the Opera 13 Durieux - 1st

alison03
Art Expert

Thu May 30, 2013 2:34 am

:drool: :clap:
mppang
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 30, 2013 3:21 am

ISO a Paypal button!!! :lol:
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Thu May 30, 2013 3:30 am

alison03 wrote::drool: :clap:
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
clem99
EB Team

Thu May 30, 2013 4:33 am

Dark Hall Mansion, http://www.DarkHallMansion.com, unveils its second installment in the DHM-Seminal
Film Series with nothing less than 1925's epic, "The Phantom of the Opera" starring the
inimitable Lon Chaney and rendered strikingly by artist and collector favorite, Laurent Durieux.

Our limited edition "Phantom of the Opera" prints go on sale next Thursday, June 6th, 2013
at 10:30 AM PST on our DHM Store page here: http://www.darkhallmansionstore.com

While some of our upcoming releases for the DHM-Seminal Film Series might surprise, indeed
seem outright obscure, particularly as we're passionate silent film fanatics at DHM, there
is no way we could present a unique and artistic take on cinematic history without properly,
and we hope, beautifully, addressing some of the very cornerstones that shaped the course
of film history to this very day.

We've always found Lon Chaney Sr's work arresting, to say the least. Deliberately protective
of his privacy while fostering an air of mystery about himself and his characters, Chaney
had already established a body of work by the time he came to portray the Phantom, but it
is this role, perhaps more than any other, that he is most remembered for. As film
aficionados know, Chaney was permitted to create his own makeup for 'Phantom' after his
earlier success rendering his own unique take on Quasimodo in "The Hunchback of Notre
Dame,"but it's Phantom's startling realization that would influence and shape filmmakers,
as well as filmgoer's expectations, for generations to come.

As unusual as Chaney's makeup and self-developed techniques with same often were, he still
considered himself a character actor, and be it his talent with makeup or his equally
supreme skills at body contortion, they were simply tools for realizing-in his own words-
"extraordinary characterization." Chaney's true goal: to have audiences empathize, or at
the very least, understand his characters, however unusual, however extreme. There is no
doubt his Phantom is, and shall remain, among the very pinnacle of cinema's legendary
characters.

The aim of Dark Hall Mansion's DHM-Seminal Film Series is the very bridging of cinema as
art and art as cinema. To create beautiful prints for some of the most resonant American
and international films, distilling film and imagery while beholden to no specific
screening or advertising obligations. Our aim right from the onset was to honor the
tradition of vintage film posters while simultaneously releasing our artists from its
commercial constraints. The single goal then: to create stunning pieces that are intended,
right from their inception, to be true stand alone works of art. The very essence of each
film to be distilled and rendered in such a fashion that anyone, even via the most cursory
of viewings, will appreciate the prints for their visual beauty or in the historical
context of what made these films so relevant and so special in the first place.

Key to our approach with DHM's Seminal Film Series is matching artist to film, and nowhere
was this more clearly manifest than in our first pairing of "Metropolis" and Laurent
Durieux. DHM has had the distinct pleasure of working with Laurent several times now since
first introducing him to US audiences and print collectors worldwide, and there was no way
we were going to miss the opportunity to invite him in to showcase his considerable skills
on a project that required a simultaneously shocking as well as subtle touch. In keeping
with the aesthetic behind our Seminal Film Series print releases, we wanted 'Phantom'
to be both powerful yet restrained, a piece that immediately takes you into the film yet
refashions it in an elegant manner for contemporary display. Once again, Laurent has
excelled on all counts.

The print, like the film itself, is at once rich, moody and highly atmospheric, appropriately
shocking in its tribute to one of the foundation's of horror cinema while still romantic
and sweeping in scope. A print designed to capture more than the elements of horror, much
like Chaney's hopes for his characterizations, we trust the print resonates with collectors
as something unique, nuanced, and evocative of the classic stone litho posters and artists
of the silent period.

Laurent's two highly distinct and striking takes for "Phantom of the Opera" have the
expected levels of fine detailing our collectors have come to cherish with each releases,
yet the Standard and Variant editions, while at once complimentary, yield very different
moods, provoking distinct emotional responses. And frankly, we love that! It's unusual
renderings such as these that we trust will continue to register with collectors and help
establish the DHM-Seminal Film Series' overall tone.

All DHM-Seminal Film Series prints are strictly limited, numbered, and beautifully screen
printed.

Editions are as follows:

Standard "Phantom of the Opera" Edition: 24" x 36" (Edition of 200)

Variant "Phantom of the Opera" Edition: 24" x 36" (Edition of 100)

There will also be two very select "Phantom of the Opera" Wood Editions:
One with Standard artwork (Edition of 10), one with Variant artwork (Edition of 10).

*These special Wood editions will be released in conjunction with our friends at
http://www.emovieposter.com, the world's largest vintage film poster collector website,
and they will release their examples by lottery while DHM will offer its Wood
editions on our initial release date.

Standard "Phantom of the Opera" Edition: $65

Variant "Phantom of the Opera" Edition: $100

Select Wood "Phantom of the Opera" (Standard or Variant artwork): $250

All DHM-Seminal Film Series "Phantom of the Opera" Limited Editions go on sale
next Thursday, June 6, 2013. They will be available on our dedicated Store page
at 10:30 AM PST here:
http://www.darkhallmansionstore.com/

Thank you all so very much, we're so very grateful for your support of our DHM-Seminal
Film Series. Our debut release for the Series, "Metropolis," sold out within minutes
and reinforced our belief that there are a LOT of equally passionate film and poster
art enthusiasts worldwide: Institutes, Cinematheques, Archives and film schools, but
most of all, it's the collectors that sustain this passion for cinema and its artwork,
and we are so very honored for DHM to be a part of both of these communities with the
artists and history that informs them. Again, we are enormously grateful to all for
your kind support and enthusiastic response that allows this series to exist and we
look forward to sharing some exceptional projects on our upcoming DHM-Seminal Film
Series print releases with you!
Last edited by clem99 on Fri May 31, 2013 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
art is the only justification for pain :)
sustain
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 30, 2013 8:17 am

I like it. Just hope I have better luck than I did on the Metropolis.
cycloned
Art Enthusiast

Thu May 30, 2013 8:31 am

Will definitely be going for it.
DickButt
Art Expert

Thu May 30, 2013 8:48 am

Reg>Var
sustain
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 30, 2013 8:56 am

DickButt wrote:Reg>Var
Yep
cchang
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 30, 2013 9:27 am

Either version is a WIN with Duriex. Good luck to all next week. Looking forward to it.
soam24
Art Freak

Thu May 30, 2013 10:13 am

sustain wrote:I like it. Just hope I have better luck than I did on the Metropolis.

was metropolis hard?
DickButt
Art Expert

Thu May 30, 2013 10:21 am

soam24 wrote:
sustain wrote:I like it. Just hope I have better luck than I did on the Metropolis.

was metropolis hard?
It's a bit tough when the buy button isn't uploaded to all the servers so not everyone gets a chance at buying the poster. DHM swears it will not happen this time though...
jlabbate
Art Freak

Thu May 30, 2013 10:28 am

sustain wrote:
DickButt wrote:Reg>Var
Yep
:pint:
alexphoto01
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 30, 2013 10:29 am

DickButt wrote:
soam24 wrote:

was metropolis hard?
It's a bit tough when the buy button isn't uploaded to all the servers so not everyone gets a chance at buying the poster. DHM swears it will not happen this time though...
DHM said that the server provider swears it won't happen again
KNEEL13
EB Team

Thu May 30, 2013 10:32 am

Another beautiful print by Durieux. I need this to add with the rest of my Durieux monsters. I can't decide which one I like better yet. I am leaning towards the purple tones of the variant right now.