Disney Drawings and Sketches

General art-related discussion.
SoulSource
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 30, 2013 12:22 am

ConstantStruggle wrote:This is really cool!

You just send them a card with a request and you get these awesome drawings back?

^ If so I need to do this... I am a Disney guy. Have Lion King playing as I'm typing this.

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing
please ignore my name.. The things we think sound cool as children...
danieldanger
LORD KINGSHIT

Thu May 30, 2013 2:23 am

ive got a couple more. production drawings from a disney book in the 60s or 70s. bought them from the toy appraiser on antiques roadshow. not worth much, didnt pay much, but i like em anyways.
erba
Art Expert

Thu May 30, 2013 7:42 am

Danger, Those drawings are great! I'd love to have stuff like that.
ConstantStruggle wrote:You just send them a card with a request and you get these awesome drawings back?
That's all I do.

I send about a page long letter, the cards and a self addressed stamped envelope. In my letter, I will ask for a couple of sketches from a certain movie. If they have worked on a bunch, I leave it up to them as to which movie they would like to draw a sketch of. I also never send more than 2 cards. I think if I sent anymore, it's just being greedy. I can always send them another request in a year or so. I realize that I may not receive anything back, but the cost of sending these requests out is is minimal. I search the list of Pixar and Disney Animation movies on wiki and get an idea of where the directors are currently working (Deblois is currently at Dreamworks animation) and then I send my letter off. I have sent out about 25 requests to various directors and animators. I have more cards coming and will be sending out more once I get them.

Like with posters, you always take a chance that the PO will jack up the envelope. I suppose you could cut out a piece of cardboard and put it in the return envelope to protect it a little more.

Here is where I buy the cards: http://www.theautographcard.com/catalog ... tcard.html

Here are the addresses that I used for the returns I received so far. Moving forward, I'll put the address I used when I post the pic of a return.

DEAN DEBLOIS
Dreamworks Animation
1000 Flower St
Glendale, CA 91201

GARY TROUSDALE
Dreamworks Animation
1000 Flower St
Glendale, CA 91201

NATHAN GRENO
Walt Disney Animation Studios
500 S. Buena Vista Studios
Burbank, CA 91521

BYRON HOWARD
Walt Disney Animation Studios
500 S. Buena Vista Studios
Burbank, CA 91521

PETE DOCTER
Pixar Animation Studios
1200 Park Avenue
Emeryville, CA 94608

If anybody sends out any requests, please post your returns here, I would love to see what you get back.
HLB98
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 30, 2013 7:50 am

Brian these are awesome, thanks for showing us.
alteridiom
Art Expert

Thu May 30, 2013 7:59 am

I do this as well but with some different artists. About half my collection is with help from some great EB members getting them at different gallery openings and cons when they go. The other half has been through the mail. I have a ton out there. More have not been returned than have but they ones that have are pretty fantastic.

Small town pizza lawyer
erba
Art Expert

Thu May 30, 2013 8:27 am

Those are sweet!
DickButt
Art Expert

Thu May 30, 2013 8:55 am

kramer73 wrote:
DickButt wrote:Ok these are awesome, especially the Sklar. We're Disney freaks too and this is a great idea. The crown jewel of our art collection is a Marc Davis production sketch of Maleficent.
I would love to see that.
Image measures 11 ½ in. x 14 in.

It's my favorite thing in the world.

erba
Art Expert

Thu May 30, 2013 9:19 am

That's awesome!!

I would love to buy some sketches and seri cels, but am afraid of buying fakes. I just don't know enough about them. Does anybody have any advice as to what to look for or where to buy from?
DickButt
Art Expert

Thu May 30, 2013 9:24 am

erba wrote:That's awesome!!

I would love to buy some sketches and seri cels, but am afraid of buying fakes. I just don't know enough about them. Does anybody have any advice as to what to look for or where to buy from?
I bought mine from an animation auction that Profiles in History does every year. There's usually a bunch of production sketches from all sorts of Disney films and cartoons as well as cels (some of which will just blow your mind). I believe the next one is in July.
ConstantStruggle
Art Expert

Thu May 30, 2013 11:43 am

Damn these are all really cool, my younger son is obsessed with disney movies and he would probably freak if he recieved one of these in the mail!
burritos > Life
fanboy
Art Expert

Thu May 30, 2013 12:30 pm

alteridiom wrote:Image
Those are awesome, love the TMNT, Gremlins and Gir! The Disney ones originally posted are also fantastic. What a neat idea and a great way to pass some time. I was heavy into mailing out for autographs a few years ago. It's always a great day when you open the mailbox and see one of you return envelopes.
ironjaiden wrote:I'm a whore so I'll draw whatever you want for a warm meal and a dirty hand job. Every artist is different.
misterwhisper
Art Expert

Thu May 30, 2013 12:39 pm

Awesome stuff in here.
erba
Art Expert

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:20 am

I was getting the shakes because I had no returns in the last 10 days or so. I got one yesterday though. I got 2 cards back from Enrico Casarosa. He is a storyboard artist for Pixar and has worked on Up, Cars and Ratatouille. He also directed a short for Pixar called La Luna.

bbeech
Art Enthusiast

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:14 pm

These are great, thanks for sharing them!

This is my favorite piece of art I have. Its not worth much but my grandfather got it in the 1930's from a Disney talk at his school.

thekharmainitiative
Art Expert

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:30 pm

bbeech wrote:These are great, thanks for sharing them!

This is my favorite piece of art I have. Its not worth much but my grandfather got it in the 1930's from a Disney talk at his school.

How is that "not worth much"!??