The Battle at Blackwater 13 Englert

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
pugsly
Art Enthusiast

Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:36 pm

jampar5000 wrote:his process stuff is pretty enlightening.
Yeah took a look, not much process there? I see a simple line sketch and the final jpg--am I missing something?
ClaytonHopper wrote:I could care less about 'official'.. Its Art... plain and simple. Horkey's GoT print had no writing and he was commissioned by HBO/GoT for that print. So you do not need writing to make it "Official" or to make it good. It's actually a nice change pace since almost everything now has some sort of writing or tag on it.
I'm certainly not trying to take away from your personal enjoyment of the print or artwork, and my critiques had nothing to do with whether it was official or not. It just seems strange to complain about GOT logos on the licensed prints when in fact it's specifically that "official" designation which makes those images more desirable for many people (me included). I absolutely respect your right not to care about the licensed vs. fan art debate, but I find it very interesting. Also as a collector, imo it would be less than smart not to make the distinction.
ClaytonHopper
Art Expert

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:10 pm

pugsly wrote:
Yeah took a look, not much process there? I see a simple line sketch and the final jpg--am I missing something?
ClaytonHopper wrote:I could care less about 'official'.. Its Art... plain and simple. Horkey's GoT print had no writing and he was commissioned by HBO/GoT for that print. So you do not need writing to make it "Official" or to make it good. It's actually a nice change pace since almost everything now has some sort of writing or tag on it.
I'm certainly not trying to take away from your personal enjoyment of the print or artwork, and my critiques had nothing to do with whether it was official or not. It just seems strange to complain about GOT logos on the licensed prints when in fact it's specifically that "official" designation which makes those images more desirable for many people (me included). I absolutely respect your right not to care about the licensed vs. fan art debate, but I find it very interesting. Also as a collector, imo it would be less than smart not to make the distinction.

I guess I just prefer those pieces that a true fan is going to see and instantly know what it is without having some text explain to you what the piece is from.
yosi
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:35 pm

This is badass.
JonEwaD
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:48 pm

:clap: to Mark who has continued to improve with every print. This is his best yet and I can't wait to see what's next. Very cool that you can make out the silhouettes of Tyrion, Joffrey, & The Hound.
Konquer1
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:01 pm

Such an epic piece. Haven't been able to grab one yet. Hoping to get my hands on an AP. This just turned into my current ISO. Nice work Mark!
cargoflipper
Art Expert

Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:04 pm

Really torn about this print. The bottom right really bugs me but the GID is amazing, especially when reflecting upon the scene of the show. Since I don't live in a blacklight lit house I will be passing.
hellosir wrote:People truly bitch about everything these days
DidYouSeeMeEscaping
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:28 pm

pugsly wrote:
And yet if you look at the GoT prints from the latest string of them that are doing the best on the secondary market, the 2 most desirable ones, this and the Horkey, dont say GoT on them. So yea youre idea that the official designation makes them more desirable is just wrong. People want the artwork that has the best image, the artwork that's most representative of the show, not the pieces that have an unnecessary title thrown in there.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:35 pm

cargoflipper wrote:Really torn about this print. The bottom right really bugs me but the GID is amazing, especially when reflecting upon the scene of the show. Since I don't live in a blacklight lit house I will be passing.
you do realize that this print will glow in the dark without having a black light around?

its not a black light print. we just used black light to charge the prints. Normal light can charge the print as well. Just like every other Mark print :wink:
WhirlWindBoy
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:37 pm

In all fairness, what's "bugs" me, is the damn show should be titled, A Song Of Ice And Fire. SMH Hollywood!
Ctg9095
Art Expert

Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:45 pm

WhirlWindBoy wrote:In all fairness, what's "bugs" me, is the damn show should be titled, A Song Of Ice And Fire. SMH Hollywood!
No.
pugsly
Art Enthusiast

Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:20 pm

DidYouSeeMeEscaping wrote:
pugsly wrote:
And yet if you look at the GoT prints from the latest string of them that are doing the best on the secondary market, the 2 most desirable ones, this and the Horkey, dont say GoT on them. So yea youre idea that the official designation makes them more desirable is just wrong. People want the artwork that has the best image, the artwork that's most representative of the show, not the pieces that have an unnecessary title thrown in there.
Again, wasn't criticizing anything for being official or not. My crit was about this print being a mix of 2 styles that don't mesh imo-- large portions of landscape made up of cloned & bitmapped photo textures, with a comic style silohuette slapped on top. Not to mention that in order to pull off that dramatic glow, the day image must have a pretty big yellow blob of GID ink in the middle, which is probably the reason for the monotone yellowish color choice (Any pics of the actual print?).

You mentioned this print as one of the "2 most desirable ones"--based on short term EB "hype" value I guess? It's easy to confuse an artist's following here with what's noticed by the general public outside this forum. I found out about LE GOT posters through other channels and didn't even know about this one until I came here, whereas the official prints I noticed being discussed/posted everywhere in the GOT universe. Just because many of these fans aren't hardcore collectors who flock straight to ebay the day after the show or put a specific print in an ISO here just doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme. Anyway you can point to a short term "flip factor" if you'd like, but the fact is that in every collectible market that's ever existed, official stuff will most likely remain more desirable once short term hype wears off.
elSalvador
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:22 pm

ClaytonHopper wrote:
I guess I just prefer those pieces that a true fan is going to see and instantly know what it is without having some text explain to you what the piece is from.
Exactly. Subtlety is generally key to the art I enjoy the most.
Ctg9095
Art Expert

Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:29 pm

pugsly wrote:Not to mention that in order to pull off that dramatic glow, the day image must have a pretty big yellow blob of GID ink in the middle, which is probably the reason for the monotone yellowish color choice (Any pics of the actual print?).
Not my picture, but here
DidYouSeeMeEscaping
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:46 pm

pugsly wrote: Again, wasn't criticizing anything for being official or not. My crit was about this print being a mix of 2 styles that don't mesh imo-- large portions of landscape made up of cloned & bitmapped photo textures, with a comic style silohuette slapped on top. Not to mention that in order to pull off that dramatic glow, the day image must have a pretty big yellow blob of GID ink in the middle, which is probably the reason for the monotone yellowish color choice (Any pics of the actual print?).

You mentioned this print as one of the "2 most desirable ones"--based on short term EB "hype" value I guess? It's easy to confuse an artist's following here with what's noticed by the general public outside this forum. I found out about LE GOT posters through other channels and didn't even know about this one until I came here, whereas the official prints I noticed being discussed/posted everywhere in the GOT universe. Just because many of these fans aren't hardcore collectors who flock straight to ebay the day after the show or put a specific print in an ISO here just doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme. Anyway you can point to a short term "flip factor" if you'd like, but the fact is that in every collectible market that's ever existed, official stuff will most likely remain more desirable once short term hype wears off.
Regarding there being a big yellow blob of GID ink in the day image, you must have never seen an Englert in person because he always does a stellar job of hiding the GID ink so you do get 2 separate images, see any photo of This is my farm or Det er en slag ting. Your claim there is entirely baseless and ignoring all of his prior work, why dont you inform yourself before insulting the man's work.

As for disregarding the enthusiasm behind Englerts GoT piece and Horkeys, you seem to just be ignoring all the positive feedback regarding those here and on other art forums, and how much it outweighs the hype(or lack there of) around the other GoT prints(are you choosing to also ignore the Englert hype created on Reddit as well, which didnt come about for any of the other GoT prints even with the ever present Mondo hype surrounding their series). And the secondary market for those prints would seem rather indicative of how many people are pursuing the print, as, ya know(or maybe not), the more people pursuing it the higher the price tends to be, and people are willing to shell out more for art they like more.

And yes this is a collectible market, but its also an ART market and the QUALITY of the art(which you've stated in your (minority)opinion is low) tends to speak more to its value than whether or not it has a GoT stamp on it. :roll:

the Art > the title/the presence of a license in the art world

IIRC Olly Moss' Dr Who print was unlicensed, and Im still waiting for the price on that to drop since real collectors arent after it

EDIT: man that yellow blob in the pic above is just hideous :roll:
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:03 pm

Okay, maybe this is a stupid question, but is the paper brown or white?