LEGO - The thread.

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
starkdesign
Art Expert

Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:38 pm

Hey, should we invite Kevin to the group? :wink:

Image New Zelda collection grid, but still need more; gotta keep adding to my collection! Image
mobius006
Art Freak

Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:57 pm

Lol ya
dearmrecho
Art Expert

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:38 pm

For UK Legoistes... I just found Lord of the Rings Attack on Weathertop at my local Tesco (Glossop) reduced to £25. They had about 6 of them which is unusual. Cheapest I've ever seen it and the last one my son needed to complete the LotR sets. :)
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:16 pm

bagged the sithe shift today on sale at Walmart
stoffel
Art Expert

Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:49 am

i apologize to anyone who fought a grizzly bear to make it to a computer. i appreciate the support.
starkdesign
Art Expert

Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:12 pm

stoffel wrote:http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mik ... masterwork

this looks pretty insane
Well done MOCs there, really like the larger DIY kit.
Image New Zelda collection grid, but still need more; gotta keep adding to my collection! Image
OtomoChaser
Art Expert

Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:16 pm

Apologies if this has already been mentioned on here, but did you guys hear about the impending withdrawal from sale of the Lego Star Wars Jabba's Palace set? Banned following pressure due to it's similarity to a mosque and the characterisation of middle-easters as 'slave traders and gun-runners'
Drymounting insanity.......

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 55610.html

I shall be buying a couple of sets. This one will be a serious collectors piece when the ban comes in.
VROOOOM!!! TETSUOOOO!!! Image
アキラ
maddog76
Flipper

Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:18 pm

OtomoChaser wrote:Apologies if this has already been mentioned on here, but did you guys hear about the impending withdrawal from sale of the Lego Star Wars Jabba's Palace set? Banned following pressure due to it's similarity to a mosque and the characterisation of middle-easters as 'slave traders and gun-runners'

I shall be buying a couple of sets. This one will be a serious collectors piece when the ban comes in.
Lego says they aren't doing anything except the normal sales cycle.
starkdesign
Art Expert

Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:35 pm

maddog76 wrote:
OtomoChaser wrote:Apologies if this has already been mentioned on here, but did you guys hear about the impending withdrawal from sale of the Lego Star Wars Jabba's Palace set? Banned following pressure due to it's similarity to a mosque and the characterisation of middle-easters as 'slave traders and gun-runners'

Saw one left on the shelf at Target tonight, picked it up just in case...
starkdesign
Art Expert

Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:02 pm

starkdesign wrote:
maddog76 wrote:

Update on this, went by Walmart this morning after soccer games, and found it there for $25 cheaper than Target, so taking the first one back. And I couldn't believe it, the one at Walmart was in PERFECT shape, vs the Target one with some banged up (slightly) corners. So, even if it doesn't go up in value, that set for under a hundred bucks, win either way!
OtomoChaser
Art Expert

Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:51 pm

Good result man,thats a great price. Sorry if i jumped the gun on the withdrawal report,i should have researched harder. Althouhh i have my doubts about lego's response. I don't see why they'd end such a large and unique piece. Knowing the politicsl climate in Austria with Haider's right wing party,combined with the religious problems i'd infer that they just want the drama to stop. Its a good 'out' that means they dont lose face with the homecrowd who would spring if they backed to foreign demands,whilst keeping the more fundamentalist religious element happy. So everyone wins. Except the fans....
But at least we got OUR sets. :D
アキラ
Deadareus
Art Expert

Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:46 pm

starkdesign wrote:
starkdesign wrote:
maddog76 wrote:

Update on this, went by Walmart this morning after soccer games, and found it there for $25 cheaper than Target, so taking the first one back. And I couldn't believe it, the one at Walmart was in PERFECT shape, vs the Target one with some banged up (slightly) corners. So, even if it doesn't go up in value, that set for under a hundred bucks, win either way!

It's only available in Canada for $159 plus 13% sales tax where I live. Way WAY too much. I may pick it up while we are vacationing in the states next week. I'll have to see though. That's gonna take up a lot of realty in the suitcase.

Weird that this set was expected to retire in 2013. It seems as though it should be around until 2015 given the trend of what I've seen since I started collecting a little over a year and half ago. (perhaps Stark can chime in here, but it seems that a 2 year shelf life is incredibly short)

I don't fault them for getting it off the shelves early if it's causing a big stir though. Probably not worth the bad publicity or lack of future sales from a selected group based on 1 set.

Who I do fault are the people doing the complaining. It's clearly based off of a movie prop and remains true to that movie. What's next? Edited versions of Jedi featuring a completely reworked Jabba's palace.

In related news, a local politician is being crucified for telling a 5 year old girl at a bakesale that she would 'make a great wife someday' based on how good her cookies were that she had proudly baked herself. World's gotta lighten up a little IMO. End rant.

ISO Jabba's Palace :wink:
OtomoChaser
Art Expert

Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:56 pm

Also curious that the anti-smoking lobby have taken no issue with Jabba having a hookah pipe. A blatantly overt 'adult oriented' bit of kit,as opposed to thr subtle mosque similarities. I guess even the anti-smokers knew where to draw the line this time.
No child would get the references,the furore does more harm than good.
I imagine the only harm from these sets will be all the kids in E.R rooms having the smaller pieces removed from their ears and noses....or is that just how i spent MY childhood? :oops:
アキラ
ohkay
Art Connoisseur

Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:36 pm

rmoore wrote:138 pieces left to go on the UCS Falcon...the end is in sight! :pint:
http://i.imgur.com/tB4jemd.jpg
:clap:
I keep spending my money on prints and not on Lego. I need to get my priorities straight!