Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
apostolate
Art Enthusiast

Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:21 pm

did they really need to release like seven drive posters at the show and not hold anything for an online drop?
dylansdad
Art Expert

Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:36 pm

apostolate wrote:did they really need to release like seven drive posters at the show and not hold anything for an online drop?
Yep. And if I ever make it out there and stand in line all day until 3:30 in the morning, I will be thankful that they didn't hold anything back for an online drop.

I understand that it stings, though.
darkturkish
Art Connoisseur

Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:39 pm

dylansdad wrote:
apostolate wrote:did they really need to release like seven drive posters at the show and not hold anything for an online drop?
Yep. And if I ever make it out there and stand in line all day until 3:30 in the morning, I will be thankful that they didn't hold anything back for an online drop.

Right but you forget all the time siting at computers waiting for a chance to buy a print. I'm really disappointed that none were held back. Especially after mondo hyped the release for so long. Stouts lottery? I'm like 1-12 or whatever it is at this point. What a disappointment
Just a dude collecting paper
warrocky
Art Connoisseur

Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:45 pm

dylansdad wrote:

I understand that too, but people have waited for like over a year for the Drive poster specifically. And that includes lots of people outside Austin, and even the US (Like me :)). And now were obviously going to have to pay massive prices for prints we actually want to keep (or rather not to flip lol).
Image ISO Olly Moss - Totoro Variant - PM me Image
dylansdad
Art Expert

Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:45 pm

darkturkish wrote:
dylansdad wrote:

Right but you forget all the time siting at computers waiting for a chance to buy a print. I'm really disappointed that none were held back. Especially after mondo hyped the release for so long. Stouts lottery? I'm like 1-12 or whatever it is at this point. What a disappointment
Yeah, I've logged in many hours at the computer but if I bought plane tickets to Austin I'd definitely want something to show for it. And I've had a run of 18 Stout lottery losses, so I understand that frustration, too. It's rough at first but we just have to roll with it and wait a week or two for the next online release tat excites us.

I am thankful that in the few weeks before the Taylor/Stout show, both artists had online drops. They could have easily held Django back for the gallery, but they didn't. I give them a ton of credit for that.
Awesome
Art Expert

Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:48 pm

Why would Mondo care if they piss off their online customers? They have people sitting in line for 2 days outside to buy their posters, they know that they get new customers everyday coming in and they can make every poster from now on in-store only and still sell out.
dylansdad
Art Expert

Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:50 pm

warrocky wrote:
dylansdad wrote:

I understand that too, but people have waited for like over a year for the Drive poster specifically. And that includes lots of people outside Austin, and even the US (Like me :)). And now were obviously going to have to pay massive prices for prints we actually want to keep (or rather not to flip lol).
I was collecting the Mondo Star Trek series, happily supporting the line when they ultimately dropped the long awaited Stout Khan at the gallery. That was frustrating. I was waiting for Princess Mononoke and it dropped at SDCC. I've been waiting two years for a Watchmen poster from Mondo, and when it arrives, it's at the gallery. If I want a variant, my only choice is the secondary market. There won't even be any artist copies as there will be with Stout. Does that excite me after two years of waiting? Heck, no. But I'm getting hooked up with a regular and I'm thankful. There will always be another online poster to look forward to and getting frustrated about Austin exclusives isn't going to get us anywhere. It's part of the hobby and its not going to change.

Enjoy what you CAN get, not what you can't.
Last edited by dylansdad on Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DickButt
Art Expert

Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:51 pm

Wassup with people surprised they didn't hold back stuff for an online sale? People act like A) this is Mondo's first gallery event or B) that they've always held back for online sales. I know people got Stout boners but there's no reason this show should follow a different protocol than shows before it or ahead of it.
darkturkish
Art Connoisseur

Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:54 pm

I'm just disappointed it happened with a hyped print like drive. I wish they gave a little announced the show a couple weeks earlier. I probably would have been able to go. Oh well
Just a dude collecting paper
harrykeogh
Art Expert

Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:57 pm

One of you Austin BBQ eaters buy me a Metropolis. Do it. Do it now. That is all.
trarex
Art Expert

Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:58 pm

Not getting what I want is a daily occurrence......whats new.
"Lay off Detroit, Them peoples is living in Mad Max times." Moe Szyslak
jjdungca
Art Expert

Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:20 pm

It seems as if aftermarket will be the way I need to to get me a 'Watchmen' print. My own fault for moving out of Texas. :hanging:

So what's the next big thing? :wink:
ImageImageImage
dylansdad
Art Expert

Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:23 pm

jjdungca wrote: So what's the next big thing? :wink:
We're getting two more Game of Thrones prints next week. Online!
listerfeend
Art Expert

Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:28 pm

dylansdad wrote:
jjdungca wrote: So what's the next big thing? :wink:
We're getting two more Game of Thrones prints next week. Online!
Watch one be a Horkey and the internet explodes.
JaxTeller
Art Enthusiast

Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:30 pm

This is really nice and everything, but those kinds of galleries or shows are kind of a big "F*** you" to international customers such as me. I don't live in the US, therefore I have no chance to be there when something like Stout's Drive posters are out. I probably understand that he and others don't give a rat's ass, but still, this is unfair.