Metropolis 13 Dye

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:42 pm

This topic is dedicated to: Metropolis

HarryLime3
Art Enthusiast

Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:45 pm

Wait could someone please explain this...... Is this exactly the same as the original "Metropolis" poster but with a slightly different color and the artist's name on it? Is there something that I'm missing or is this just an opportunity to own the original without paying a million for it?
Brichella
Art Enthusiast

Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:44 pm

?
automator
Nobody

Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:23 pm

New image Metropolis 13 Blunt Graffix
Framed for Hero Complex Event

seeker1115
Art Expert

Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:50 pm

Yeah, I don't understand. It's not even that different from the original color wise. Here's the original poster for comparison:
Woodyland is a kitten
automator
Nobody

Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:26 am

This topic is dedicated to: Metropolis 13 Dye

automator
Nobody

Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:27 am

New image Metropolis 13 Dye
White Gold Edition

rubberneck
Art God

Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:28 am

Interested to see what this looks like as a screen print...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
brewsky
Art Connoisseur

Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:40 am

rubberneck wrote:Interested to see what this looks like as a screen print...
I can assure you it looks drymounting incredible. If I wasn't such a poor bastard, I would have bought one last nite.
danieldanger
LORD KINGSHIT

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:22 am

someone should probably change the status of this edition to "bootleg" instead of "official". booting a famous and historic designers work, without permission/knowledge from his estate, is arguably a questionable action for an art gallery. just kinda seems out of the spirit and a further and unfortunate blurring of the line between "Interpreted or Referential Artwork" and "Bootleg Merchandise" at these sort of events. public domain or not, im a little disappointed by this, gotta be honest.

but also, yeah, we all dont have a million dollars kicking around for a real one. i get that.
haven
Art Expert

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:08 am

Nice to hear someone who actually creates his own work chime in.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:23 am

danieldanger wrote:someone should probably change the status of this edition to "bootleg" instead of "official". booting a famous and historic designers work, without permission/knowledge from his estate, is arguably a questionable action for an art gallery. just kinda seems out of the spirit and a further and unfortunate blurring of the line between "Interpreted or Referential Artwork" and "Bootleg Merchandise" at these sort of events. public domain or not, im a little disappointed by this, gotta be honest.

but also, yeah, we all dont have a million dollars kicking around for a real one. i get that.
Well put, DD.

What makes this situation even more questionable is how there is a licensed print of this poster which goes for a bit less. I can look up details later.

The Han Solo card is maybe more ridiculous as there is no way Lucas/Disney (or even Topps) approved it.
bert
Art Expert

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:32 am

Wonka, do you mean the S2 recreation? It's quite a bit more $$! But is the correct size and not a shrunken version:
http://www.jackgallery.com/page.php?pag ... 1&subtype=

Cheap reprints of the poster seem to be everywhere, but I suppose this one is more expensive because it's screened and on fancy paper with nice inks. It's not exactly original art, but I reckon it'll look good on a wall.
DickButt
Art Expert

Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:06 am

danieldanger wrote:someone should probably change the status of this edition to "bootleg" instead of "official". booting a famous and historic designers work, without permission/knowledge from his estate, is arguably a questionable action for an art gallery. just kinda seems out of the spirit and a further and unfortunate blurring of the line between "Interpreted or Referential Artwork" and "Bootleg Merchandise" at these sort of events. public domain or not, im a little disappointed by this, gotta be honest.

This. Between Metropolis, the Hulk print, the Han Solo print...this artist seems to just enjoy taking established works from other artists, screening them and then calling it his work. I've said it before, it's disappointing because he does other original works like Snow Princess that I actually like and have purchased. But this kind of stuff really turns me off.
Kazden
Art Connoisseur

Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:43 am

Correct my if I'm wrong, I'm looking at these on a small screen, but the only difference between this and the original is that now we can buy it in silver? Hmmmmm...
Image THC!