The Ebay Advice Column

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:42 pm

OK , this is a new one to me. Buyer wants to pay for something with 2 different credit cards that are not connected to his paypal account. How can I swing this one? Can you pay through paypal using a credit card?
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
Cbjornson
Art Expert

Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:48 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:OK , this is a new one to me. Buyer wants to pay for something with 2 different credit cards that are not connected to his paypal account. How can I swing this one? Can you pay through paypal using a credit card?
If you (the seller) have a premier or business PayPal account I believe they can.
maden wrote:Never apologize on the internet.
gonzo303 wrote:This is Gonzos mom
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:11 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:OK , this is a new one to me. Buyer wants to pay for something with 2 different credit cards that are not connected to his paypal account. How can I swing this one? Can you pay through paypal using a credit card?
Only thing I can think is to have them setup two PayPal accounts. Use one to pay himself via the one credit card and then use the second account to pay for the full transaction.

EDIT - Just did a quick search. They can do it by setting up both of them as payment sources for PayPal but can NOT do it as one payment. Would need to be done with two payments (this voids any buyer protection).
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:21 am

How do you make it so a listing shows the item location as "united states" instead of your actual town
disdig1
Art Expert

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:24 am

stuckeyc wrote:How do you make it so a listing shows the item location as "united states" instead of your actual town
go to edit listing and right under where it has the international shipping it will have your current location and directly under that it says change location.
jjbehren
Flipper

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:32 am

disdig1 wrote:
stuckeyc wrote:How do you make it so a listing shows the item location as "united states" instead of your actual town
go to edit listing and right under where it has the international shipping it will have your current location and directly under that it says change location.
And here's a link to ebay's policy stating that you have to be clear and accurate about the location where your item will be shipped or picked up from. When listing items for sale, sellers are expected to provide the city, state and country of their item.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/item-location.html

Granted, the spirit of the policy is shipping related:
Why does eBay have this policy?
Buyers should have complete information about an item's location so that they can be aware of all the costs associated with purchasing the item. The item location must be clear and accurate.

This policy helps avoid any misunderstandings, unexpectedly high shipping costs for buyers, and longer than expected shipping times.
disdig1
Art Expert

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:34 am

i always just put USA and never ran into a problem but i wouldn't suggest putting some random place that has nothing to do with you. also i always do free shipping so my location doesn't much matter.
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:47 am

Thanks guys
bigmuls
Art Expert

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:59 am

You can put just USA if you're not using "calculated shipping". If you use calculated shipping you have to put a valid zip code.
Philpenn
Art Expert

Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:52 pm

I had someone outside the US win a US only auction of mine. The sale never went through since I didn't want to ship overseas. EBay still added that sale to my monthly fees bill though. I canceled the sale saying the buyer and I didn't agree to terms. Do I need to do anything else to have that charge removed from my bill? Thanks.
aldo
Art Expert

Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:20 pm

eBay now has an official way to prevent bidders from other countries bidding on your auction. Did you do that? Because I don't think putting it in the description is enough anymore.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:46 pm

Philpenn wrote:I had someone outside the US win a US only auction of mine. The sale never went through since I didn't want to ship overseas. EBay still added that sale to my monthly fees bill though. I canceled the sale saying the buyer and I didn't agree to terms. Do I need to do anything else to have that charge removed from my bill? Thanks.

Buyer needs to confirm the cancel transaction request. That is all. You will eventually see and credit for the FVF (final value fee).
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
veltri
Art Expert

Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:53 pm

And if the buyer doesn't respond, a week later you can force the cancellation in the resolution centre.
strongstuff wrote: i want to watch those fools squirm.
Philpenn
Art Expert

Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:11 pm

Cool, thanks. Won't be a problem, buyer was cool. I said US only, and only set shipping for inside the country. Duder just missed it all I guess.
kantianallstar
Art Connoisseur

Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:12 pm

You can set US buyers as one of the conditions when listing the auction. That way Ebay will prevent anyone from outside the US from bidding on it. I've never done it but always see the option, at least.