World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
TheThirdEye
Art Expert

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:07 pm

poopsicle wrote:I decided to try Russel's Reserve. It was delicious
Russel's is the fudge! I love that stuff. Funny because I have all kinds of high end bourbons and stuff but I've gone through probably 5 or 6 bottles of Russel's in the past year or so. Definitely one that I will keep buying more of. It's my favorite in the sub $100 bottles.
wizdom
Art Expert

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:09 pm

I'm not big on whiskey. Usually stick to Jameson, but I've tried this and I gotta say it is nice!

Last edited by wizdom on Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rubberneck
Art God

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:09 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
Fattyramone
Art Expert

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:11 pm

Heres a link to the aforementioned Sheep Dip

It really is a beauty .....if you ever see it dont be put off by the name , try it.

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/sheep-dip-whisky/
poopsicle
Art Expert

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:38 pm

TheThirdEye wrote:Russel's is the fudge! I love that stuff. Funny because I have all kinds of high end bourbons and stuff but I've gone through probably 5 or 6 bottles of Russel's in the past year or so. Definitely one that I will keep buying more of. It's my favorite in the sub $100 bottles.
Yea it had tag saying it won gold at the SF World Spirits Competition, and that was enough to make me try it. And the guy at the liquor store told me I made a good choice, for whatever that's worth. But definitely happy with the choice!
Fattyramone wrote:Heres a link to the aforementioned Sheep Dip
Name definitely isn't an issue. Thanks for the suggestion (everybody)
You can't spread peanut butter on a porpoise.
finneganm
Art Freak

Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:30 pm

Rubberneck knows what's up. Jameson will beat out most whiskey in any Pepsi challenge. 12 year old is the best value in whiskey as far as I'm concerned.
That's what she said
squalie
Art Expert

Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:51 pm

Poop, go to Pints Pub, huge selection of single malts. You won't be disappointed.
http://www.pintspub.com/index.html
mistersmith
Art Freak

Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:56 pm

It sounds like you like bourbons and Irish. You may not want to jump to Scotch right away, the extra funky flavors might turn you off. If you get tired of bourbon's sweetness but like it's character, try some good ryes.

Jack Daniels is not whiskey. It's crap.

I almost never drink bourbon anymore, I've switched to rye, Canadian, and the few Scotches I know I love. I feel like bourbon is too sweet, rowdy, and obnoxious, whereas other whiskeys, you can relax with it and see what's going on.

My recommendations for brown liquor that ain't rum:

-- Balvenie Doublewood. Scotch, without the George Clinton Funk Factor. Incredibly delicate and delicious. Angel tears. My favorite liquid on earth.

-- Cheap rye is a great mixer in "bourbon" cocktails. Old Overholt is a good one that's easy to find, I prefer Pikesville but it's disappeared over here.

-- Jameson is too toffee/candy flavored for me. I prefer Bushmills for Irish -- thin and crisp -- even if McNulty has issues with it.

-- Buy your expensive hooch at Costco. I got a Lagavulin 16 for like $54 the other day.

-- Of the big name bourbons, try Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve, and maybe even Maker's Mark, for your baseline of "this is what good bourbon tastes like" before moving up to pricier stuff. Also, don't neglect the old standby stuff like Jim Beam (low end, but a handle on the shelf is what you want when your buddies want to mix with Coke) and especially Wild Turkey (the 101, naturally).

-- The "medium batch" bourbons vary wildly in taste and character, so you'll have to try them all (oh no). Big names with big followings (and occasionally, big price tags, but all these are well under $100) are Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, Basil Hayden, Dickel, Evan Williams, Four Roses, Pappy Van Winkel, Blanton's, the high-end Wild Turkey stuff like Rare Breed, Elijah Craig, etc. Hit your local liquor store and treat yourself to a bottle every six weeks, pretty soon you'll have a great collection of tasty treats going.

-- My go-to "cheap" Scotch is Famous Grouse. You can get a handle for like $30-35 I think. A very good, very "Scotch" Scotch. A little funky, not ridiculous. With Scotch, go no cheaper than "a few dollars more than the junk." The junk is junk.

-- Above all else, taste. Our truths do not extend to your tongue.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
poopsicle
Art Expert

Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:03 pm

^^^^ Thank you very much ^^^^

A lot to try, appreciate the short descriptions. Gotta try anything labeled as 'Angel Tears' haha. I actually grew up in Pikesville (small suburb of Baltimore), so I've had that rye many times even though it is in no way associated with my old town.
You can't spread peanut butter on a porpoise.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:16 pm

lol mostersmith, how did Evan Williams end up in that list? Stuff is $14 a liter at the shop near me - only good with some ginger ale or coke IMO.

Now Basil Hayden's - that fudge is GOOD.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:17 pm

poopsicle wrote:^^^^ Thank you very much ^^^^

A lot to try, appreciate the short descriptions. Gotta try anything labeled as 'Angel Tears' haha. I actually grew up in Pikesville (small suburb of Baltimore), so I've had that rye many times even though it is in no way associated with my old town.
I was born at Johns Hopkins, I know all about Pikesville...MD was a rye capital, before and right after Prohibition, but it fell out of popular favor and there all that went. Just like Natty Boh, though, I think Pikesville is made in PA now, only the name is still MD.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:21 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:lol mostersmith, how did Evan Williams end up in that list? Stuff is $14 a liter at the shop near me - only good with some ginger ale or coke IMO.
The regular is pretty crappy, yeah, down there with Old Grandad really...but the Single Barrel and 1783 are awesome values, great bourbons for the money. But I should have clarified.
Gryph
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:29 pm

mistersmith wrote:
earlgreytoast wrote:lol mostersmith, how did Evan Williams end up in that list? Stuff is $14 a liter at the shop near me - only good with some ginger ale or coke IMO.
The regular is pretty crappy, yeah, down there with Old Grandad really...but the Single Barrel and 1783 are awesome values, great bourbons for the money. But I should have clarified.
Oh Old Grandad... I'm having college flashbacks...
mr_rugby wrote: You are not allowed to to type on this forum Gryph, just GIFs.
JohnBruce
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:36 pm

finneganm wrote:Rubberneck knows what's up. Jameson will beat out most whiskey in any Pepsi challenge. 12 year old is the best value in whiskey as far as I'm concerned.
rmoore
Art Expert

Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:40 pm

As mentioned previously, Bulleit and Buffalo Trace are fantastic sub-$25 bourbons. Highly recommended on a budget.