Where are they now? Great poster artists who have vanished

General art-related discussion.
jjbehren
Flipper

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:37 pm

downtown wrote:Deuce Seven vanishing from the face of the earth is a big mystery.
Not really. He's a vagabond.
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:38 pm

I'd say not so much on Deuce due to his biggest supporter/pimper being ArtMinion Ben who also has vanished...
Tra la la la la...
jjbehren
Flipper

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:40 pm

Yamar wrote:I'd say not so much on Deuce due to his biggest supporter/pimper being ArtMinion Ben who also has vanished...
I think artminion just went underground and started photocopying Emeks:

eBay 221179385823
mistersmith
Art Freak

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:51 pm

jjbehren wrote:
downtown wrote:Deuce Seven vanishing from the face of the earth is a big mystery.
Not really. He lives in Oakland, CA now, and still makes art. He was living in MNPLS, and the BoNA connection is why we saw so much of his work. But it's still around. He's had a few installations at Old Crow Tattoo & Gallery in Oakland.
Codeblue wrote:Who's regularly commissioning gig posters these days other than the usual suspects (dmb, pj, phish, panic, etc)? Ever since dave, jawn eh, and mitch moved on the landscape has been drying up. The black keys are about the only band holding it together.
Faith No More, Melvins, Black Crowes...there's a ton of stuff coming out of Secret Serpents, from some of the usual suspects to artists like Skinner and Junko Mizuno. They're trying to work out some really cool stuff, getting more gallery artists involved in making gigposters, a reverse crossover kinda.
aldo wrote:
maddoghoek100 wrote:Tara has a solo show at the jonathan levine in October 2013, did a pearl jam poster in 2012 and released several art print, some of which were from her line of beer bottle labels, and she had a baby. so seems like a pretty full 2012
I think her apartment just burned down in nyc too while she was in vacation :-( hopefully this doesn't set her solo show back.
Yeah, between a fine art concentration with some international shows, moving to NYC and setting up Cotton Candy Machine, having a baby, and now the fire, she's had a pretty full two years.
electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
SoulMates
Art Expert

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:08 am

We will add Ron Donovan to the list.

Personal problems may be the reason some of the individuals mentioned in this discussion have stopped making and selling art. Some still make art, although don't sell it to the public. Some artists now express themselves through other mediums. Substance use and starting families often change an artist's creative direction.
suchanoo
Art Expert

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:55 am

SoulMates wrote:We will add Ron Donovan to the list.
RD didn't vanish, his arse was kicked out.
UK Member? Reclaim some VAT... http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... =8&t=85994
shut your mouth and open your mind
phubar2
Art Expert

Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:17 am

Not really a big name, but somewhat known....Mark Forsman.
ricv64
Art Expert

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:33 pm

Ron still does stuff
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
ChefFerrari
Art Expert

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:57 pm

Ward Sutton illustration for GQ's Guide to Watching the Superbowl (in the latest issue)
gonzo303
Art Freak

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:16 pm

mylastexit wrote:Anyone know what's up with Mike Munter? Still hoping that Pelican 2nd edition happens...
I don't know about this but while just randomly asking Mike if he was doing any gig posters anytime soon, he told me he has a Black Keys one coming out soon.

Heres to hoping that its a classic Screen/Sprayed poster
Same fudge, different drop.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:35 pm

gonzo303 wrote:
mylastexit wrote:Anyone know what's up with Mike Munter? Still hoping that Pelican 2nd edition happens...
I don't know about this but while just randomly asking Mike if he was doing any gig posters anytime soon, he told me he has a Black Keys one coming out soon.
and actively pursuing his career as a tattoo artist in PA.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:37 pm

Aphex139 wrote:Burwell's still putting stuff out, just not as much and for a seemingly select few bands (Eric Church, etc.)
GB gets some local work in PDX too. He is also working (hopefully) on some original artwork thats part of a subscriber project he offered through his e-mail list.
gonzo303
Art Freak

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:41 pm

electrachrome wrote:
gonzo303 wrote:
His tattoo work is insane.
Same fudge, different drop.
HenryGaleWasHere
Art Expert

Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:08 pm

jjbehren wrote:
http://blogs.citypages.com/gimmenoise/2 ... fairey.php
Moran
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:20 pm

gonzo303 wrote:
electrachrome wrote:
gonzo303 wrote:
His tattoo work is insane.
This