Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:27 pm

Art
Gig
Cinema
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:37 pm

ackirkpatrick wrote:Huntz-

I didn't mean by error. I just meant that a poster with Optimus Prime flying through the air, is a cinema print (even without credits). I understand the reasoning, it's just my opinion that an art print is something inspired, imagined, developed etc. in the mind of the artist and not a scene borrowed from show or movie. I think of cinema prints as a representation of the movie/show which is the same for a lot of the cinema based "art prints."

I'm glad the third category was added, but the third category being added was to give cinema and gig their own equal representation and avoid one overshadowing the other. With the immense popularity of cinema based prints they are doing the same thing to art prints as they did to gig posters in past years.

I'm still a relative noob to this stuff, so maybe as I learn more my opinion will change, but for now that's how I see it.

:pint:
While it may be your opinion/understanding on the definition of "art print" in this scenario, that's not how EB divides things into classes. For it to be a Cinema print, it has to be something issuing credits or credit specifically (generally with text, but not always) to a film or show. This is why only two pieces from the Mondo Star Wars run have Cinema credit to them - the Olly and Stout sets. All others are art prints. It's why Vania's LoTR print is an art print while Olly's is cinema class. It's also why some pieces from the Mondo UM series fall into each class.
As aahnutz said, we had the great opportunity this year to have time to review each nominee and make sure that they were classified correctly - in regards to EB's parameters - for voting. Y'all have to take it from here...
Tra la la la la...
hongkongcavaliers
Art Expert

Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:40 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:
hongkongcavaliers wrote:
Amazingly, I've got all three...
Not really amazing; I think people tend to vote for things they really like and so own. My three choices are in my collection at least! :lol:
Well, it's better than than last year when I was on the outside looking in on prints I really, really wanted-- but didn't have access to.
ImageImageImage
ackirkpatrick
Art Expert

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:10 pm

Yamar wrote:
I didn't mean by error. I just meant that a poster with Optimus Prime flying through the air, is a cinema print (even without credits). I understand the reasoning, it's just my opinion that an art print is something inspired, imagined, developed etc. in the mind of the artist and not a scene borrowed from show or movie. I think of cinema prints as a representation of the movie/show which is the same for a lot of the cinema based "art prints." I'm glad the third category was added, but the third category being added was to give cinema and gig their own equal representation and avoid one overshadowing the other. With the immense popularity of cinema based prints they are doing the same thing to art prints as they did to gig posters in past years. I'm still a relative noob to this stuff, so maybe as I learn more my opinion will change, but for now that's how I see it.
:pint:
While it may be your opinion/understanding on the definition of "art print" in this scenario, that's not how EB divides things into classes. For it to be a Cinema print, it has to be something issuing credits or credit specifically (generally with text, but not always) to a film or show. This is why only two pieces from the Mondo Star Wars run have Cinema credit to them - the Olly and Stout sets. All others are art prints. It's why Vania's LoTR print is an art print while Olly's is cinema class. It's also why some pieces from the Mondo UM series fall into each class.
As aahnutz said, we had the great opportunity this year to have time to review each nominee and make sure that they were classified correctly - in regards to EB's parameters - for voting. Y'all have to take it from here...
Please don't take anything I say as a complaint. I love this place, appreciate the time people like you commit and understand the distinction. I'm not sure I understand why credits vs no credits is the dividing characteristic. In today's society, symbols are often more meaningful than words (facebook, twitter, mcdonalds, starbucks, nike etc.) As an example, isn't Optimus Prime on a poster issuing specific credit to the movie Transformers, Iron Man to Iron Man, Pinkman to Breaking Bad? The listed examples are symbols giving specific credit to a film or show. This is different than a print of Jimi Hendrix not being in the gig section because it isn't for a specific event. There is only one modern version of Breaking Bad, LOTR, Transformers etc. I'll shut up, thank you again for the effort you put forth to give a dork like me a hobby to waste my time and money on!!! :pint: :pint: :clap: :clap:
Kramerica
Art Freak

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:18 pm

For something like the Transformers or even many Iron Man prints, they could just as easily be associated with a toy or comic and not necessarily a film. For that reason, I appreciation the distinction being made and think that titles and billing are a good way to keep the art print separate from the cinema poster.

Just my opinion don't really think there is a right or wrong here.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
gonzo303
Art Freak

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:32 pm

unomasmoi wrote:Can someone post a link to the 2nd page in any category? I can only see the first for some reason and there's no link :cry:
Lol, you've got to chose what one you think is the best on each page. The one you liked from the previous page will always be on the next page on the upper left.
Same fudge, different drop.
biscocrack420
Art Expert

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:33 pm

:lol:
FlapJack
Art Expert

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Cinema

Art Print

Gig Poster

although Imeant to vote for this, but didn't recall seeing it.

Tough choices ... the Malleus Argento series and Black Keys series had some great stuff, n were both cool to watch throughout the year.
binky79
Art Expert

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:46 pm

It went just as I thought it would. Based on whats posted here it looks like Taylor 20K is going to take MPotY though. I would have picked it 2nd.

APotY

GPotY

MPotY
jamel-d
Art Freak

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:48 pm

Art
Cinema
Poster

Would love to have voted for this

but didn't see it.
Celsius
Flipper

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:50 pm

I didn't mean by error. I just meant that a poster with Optimus Prime flying through the air, is a cinema print (even without credits).
That poster is definitely not a cinema print. acidfreegallery has the toy license and that print is for the toy line, from what I understand.
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

https://plushart.club
hongkongcavaliers
Art Expert

Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:05 pm

FlapJack wrote: although Imeant to vote for this, but didn't recall seeing it.
I was looking for it, too. Tough call between it and the Tong Mogwai LA...
ImageImageImage
binky79
Art Expert

Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:08 pm

jamel-d wrote: Cinema
I didn't see the variant in there. :?

Shame if it is as it really should be one or the other. JC Richards Walden would have fared much better last year had the variant/s not been broken up and voted on separately.
fredo
Art God

Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:31 pm

Ended up going with Horkey's A. Bird, Taylor's 20,000 Leagues, and his Kachou art print.
just a foil for me today, thanks
turnJBup
Art Freak

Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:20 pm

Why do I feel like the Zeppelin print is an art print?
Or not a gig poster?