Acedia 12 Geddes Release Discussion 11/20/12

The place to discuss and anticipate new art releases.
trarex
Art Expert

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:02 pm

It's nice you guys care about the fans....but
Trying to stop the flippers is like trying to stop the sun from shinning....aint gonna happen.
If theres a way for someone to make a buck they'll find it.
Continued success in 2013. :pint:
"Lay off Detroit, Them peoples is living in Mad Max times." Moe Szyslak
Potaplant
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:06 pm

Just sell as normal but with a 2 month dispatch delay that will sort the flippers from the fans
Not feeling well? Perhaps you have a cannabinoid deficiency.....
alittle
Art Freak

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:10 pm

Potaplant wrote:Just sell as normal but with a 2 month dispatch delay that will sort the flippers from the fans
For most, Acedia was 1 month+, and that sure as hell didn't do anything. The print doesn't need to be in hand to flip it.
finneganm
Art Freak

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:12 pm

finneganm wrote:**cough cough** ten minute timed edition **cough cough**
That's what she said
mrkyuss
Art God

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:15 pm

I think we should make an EB list of good buyers (people that don't flip instantly/ use other people's ebay accounts) vs bad buyers (insta-flippers, thatprintguy types) and go from that.
Pretty sure that would be effective.
President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
canuck
Art Freak

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:27 pm

mrkyuss wrote:I think we should make an EB list of good buyers (people that don't flip instantly/ use other people's ebay accounts) vs bad buyers (insta-flippers, thatprintguy types) and go from that.
I can't tell if you are joking or not.
mrkyuss
Art God

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:29 pm

canuck wrote:
mrkyuss wrote:I think we should make an EB list of good buyers (people that don't flip instantly/ use other people's ebay accounts) vs bad buyers (insta-flippers, thatprintguy types) and go from that.
I can't tell if you are joking or not.
:lol:
President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
sixstringer
Art Expert

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:35 pm

I'm sure there are tons of artists who would give a limb to be flipper fodder. It is what it is. Makes me appreciate what those +1 drops even more.
Last edited by sixstringer on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlakeAronson
Flipper

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:36 pm

there are two ways you can get rid of flippers.

1. raise your prices (in this case considerably) until demand matches supply
2. raise your edition sizes until supply matches demand.

neither are very good options for an artist in the long run as they can end up with unsold prints, poor resale value , and alienated fans/collectors.

best option is to keep your work limited, keep it at the price/edition size you see fit that creates sellouts with the right demand/supply ratio for the prints value to rise. You can throw out a timed release every now and then so everyone can have a piece of the pie.
8=====D~~~~
sixstringer
Art Expert

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:42 pm

Yes...we must find a way to weed out all the flippers while maintaining a very high resale value! :P

jamel-d
Art Freak

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:47 pm

BlakeAronson wrote:there are two ways you can get rid of flippers.

1. raise your prices (in this case considerably) until demand matches supply
2. raise your edition sizes until supply matches demand.

neither are very good options for an artist in the long run as they can end up with unsold prints, poor resale value , and alienated fans/collectors.

best option is to keep your work limited, keep it at the price/edition size you see fit that creates sellouts with the right demand/supply ratio for the prints value to rise. You can throw out a timed release every now and then so everyone can have a piece of the pie.
Excellent post.
And just to add
3. And Soph, don't go on EB forum and read all the noise. It'll just frustrate you even more.
sixstringer
Art Expert

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:58 pm

"...In the world of the sneaker reseller, hype is the sunshine that makes the crops grow. The more pre-sale buzz, the higher the price the next day on Craigslist or in the consignment shop. Foot Locker is well aware of the fact that scalpers buy up a lot of the hottest new shoes and they tolerate it.

Matt Powell, a retail analyst with SportsOneSource, says Nike actually encourages this by setting prices lower than what the market will bear.

MATT POWELL: I think they always try to keep the supply below demand level. They want their shoes to sell out in a relatively short period of time, because that creates excitement for the next one around...."

Full article http://www.npr.org/2012/07/04/156239346 ... profitable

Flippers are your friends. Don't fight it.
RiotAct
EB Team

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:00 am

sidewaysscott wrote:
soph wrote:
Jem and i have been talking about a lottery approach. Some way where people register their interest and are then selected at random. Is this preferable?
PLEASE NO lottery. :D
This. A million times this.

Edit:
canuck wrote:Best option is to just keep on selling how you are..
Also this. Server held up really well for the Acedia release, all things considered, so why change? As others have said, switching to a lottery will do very little to decrease the percentage of flippers, and may actually help them because they'll have more time to figure out a way around the "one entry per household" rule.
aldo
Art Expert

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:19 am

Those who didn't even see a Purchase button wouldn't really agree with the servers holding up well. Something was up and it sucked to not even see the button.
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:44 am

aldo wrote:Those who didn't even see a Purchase button wouldn't really agree with the servers holding up well. Something was up and it sucked to not even see the button.
^ THIS. I've NEVER had that happen in 5+ years of purchasing prints until the Acedia drop so no, it didn't hold up well...
Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!
> THC X 9 <