Acedia 12 Geddes Release Discussion 11/20/12

The place to discuss and anticipate new art releases.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:04 pm

soph wrote:
Jem and i have been talking about a lottery approach. Some way where people register their interest and are then selected at random. Is this preferable?
PLEASE NO lottery. :D

Even though I haven't been able to get a print via your drop since APV, i'd still rather take my chances via the way it is now. Having said that, I had to go to the market to obtain Cluster and Acedia. Lotteries suck, and people find ways to cheat.

How about I just send you my credit card number and you just charge it when anything drops. :lol:

Happy New Years!

I can't wait to see what 2013 has in store.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
Vytis33
Art Expert

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:05 pm

No lottery please. Just pick a day for the sale, then announce a two or three hour window when the Buy button will pop up. May the best man/woman win.

Happy New Year!
whl10
Art Expert

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:07 pm

flippers are customers, too. we bleed just like you bleed.
garland09
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:12 pm

Vytis33 wrote:No lottery please. Just pick a day for the sale, then announce a two or three hour window when the Buy button will pop up. May the best man/woman win.

Happy New Year!
middayshadows
Art Expert

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:13 pm

soph wrote:So a lottery is not the pancea we thought it was - there you go.

a timed release looks like it's popular but we can't do that for every release

are there any other ways to do limited editions so it doesn't end up in a flippers paradise?
I don't think anyone has come up with a 100% solution for that.

Seeing about 10% of any run of any popular release show up on ebay almost directly after it's release is pretty much an inevitable given (right now) in this hobby.

The only thing that would stop flippers entirely is to do open editions, but I'd hazard to say that no one here would like to see that happen. I wouldn't.

The closet things that definitely deter flipping are higher print runs (though upping to 375 on Acedia was still low enough for flipping, apparently) and timed releases. Again less fun for collectors, but it is difficult to know if something will flip , if it seems the (immediate) demand has been met. That is why Warmer Air can still be found for a reasonable price.

And is also my biggest argument for a timed release. Closest thing to an 'everybody wins' scenario. In the end everyone still gets a print that is numbered and limited. Just takes a little time before it becomes collectible.
ksn
Art Expert

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:20 pm

I don't think there's anyway to stop flippers other than through large large edition sizes; they obtain prints the same way we do. In terms of having smooth drops, I really enjoyed how Faile handled their last sale for Heartbreak / The Saved and I think that would really be an option worth looking at.
gorkie
Art Freak

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:23 pm

I am in the minority here but I like the idea of a lottery. But that's because I never seem to be able to win on the drop.

I lack the proper skills apparently.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram
mrkyuss
Art God

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:36 pm

gorkie wrote:I am in the minority here but I like the idea of a lottery. But that's because I never seem to be able to win on the drop.

I lack the proper skills apparently.
I lack the dexterity in my fingers and don't know how to use bots.
President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
appletree
Art Expert

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:37 pm

canuck wrote:Best option is to just keep on selling how you are. As artists get bigger and more sought after the flippers come out to play. Just the way it is. The blacklist and keeping tabs is a good way to keep it somewhat down.
<3 + Image = T.H.C.

:::Johnathon Powers Photography:::
Sail wrote:it was all just a misunderstandingtree.
ErocAfellar
Art Expert

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:43 pm

No lotto!

There will be flippers no matter what. Short timed release or random drop is preferred here.
HappaHaoli wrote:That is freaking Eroctic!
sidewaysscott
Art God

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:46 pm

How about a two-five minute times release. Or even a one minute window.
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
Cbjornson
Art Expert

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:47 pm

ErocAfellar wrote:No lotto!

There will be flippers no matter what. Short timed release or random drop is preferred here.
This. I'm all for giving a specific day and a 2 hour window in said day (ala OBEY) and just going from there. Specifying the exact time is kind of a proverbial dagger to most big big releases.
maden wrote:Never apologize on the internet.
gonzo303 wrote:This is Gonzos mom
shoeless
Art Expert

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:50 pm

sidewaysscott wrote:How about a two-five minute times release. Or even a one minute window.
I like this.
Was thinking the same.

It may keep the edition somewhat small yet give those who are interested enough to grab one.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:55 pm

soph wrote:So a lottery is not the pancea we thought it was - there you go.

a timed release looks like it's popular but we can't do that for every release

are there any other ways to do limited editions so it doesn't end up in a flippers paradise?
Not really.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Xander
Art Expert

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:58 pm

sidewaysscott wrote:How about a two to five minute timed release. Or even a one minute window.
Announced or not, lol?