Framed stuff

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.
samverrill
Art Expert

Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:56 pm

All that Kozik is insane. Well done, I hope your tastes never change.
Great art for an important cause: http://screensnspokes.org
dougr
Site Admin

Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:16 pm

awesome collection db23, thanks for sharing the pics!
vorphilack
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:27 pm

I should probably find an apt. that doesn't have a leaking roof.
Imatruck
Art Expert

Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:25 pm

those Kozik's look fantastic. I just fell in love with that QOTSA print.

now added to my ISO
bysleightofhand
Art Expert

Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:29 pm

I'm not a big kozik fan, but I sure do like the way ya decorate. Very consistent. It must be a fun house to walk through. I wish all the posters were the same size, but ya did a good job in framing them all the same way to keep 'em consistent. Great job.
rgardjr
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:38 pm

Here are a few that I have pictures of. Lighting could be better on the first one.

Imatruck
Art Expert

Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:40 pm

that jermaine is badass
greasy
Art Expert

Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:18 pm

rgardjr, youre a TA member, right?
rgardjr
Art Enthusiast

Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:35 pm

greasy wrote:rgardjr, youre a TA member, right?
Yea ... indoctrinated. Kind of just collecting Tool posters any more. There are quite a few more framed that I don't have pictures of yet.
greasy
Art Expert

Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:31 pm

rgardjr wrote:
greasy wrote:rgardjr, youre a TA member, right?
Yea ... indoctrinated. Kind of just collecting Tool posters any more. There are quite a few more framed that I don't have pictures of yet.

thought i recognized some of your stuff from my concert poster gallery thread on TA
Stingers
Art Expert

Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:28 am

I'm on TA too , same handle .
erba
Art Expert

Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:50 am

rgardjr wrote:Here are a few that I have pictures of. Lighting could be better on the first one.

That's pretty drymounting sweet.
rgardjr
Art Enthusiast

Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:27 pm

erba wrote: That's pretty drymounting sweet.
Thanks. I can barely remember the days before my wife and I had our first daughter when we both had jobs and a whole lot more disposable income. Here is a crappy picture from the first PNE-forgot my digital camera at home so I bought a disposable one. I remember Emek being happy that his was "bigger".

rgardjr
Art Enthusiast

Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:32 pm

Imatruck wrote:that jermaine is badass
It's pretty cool to see the evolution of the poster. You can compare the pencil sketch to the ink. Then the ink to the final poster and see the changes that he made which is very cool. A little harder to do with the Emek, but you can see a little white out here and there on the original.
moe.ron
Flipper

Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:26 am

Posted this in another thread, then realized it belongs here...

I stopped in a local framing shop, and told him I had dozens of prints I needed to make frames for, and needed to do it as cost effectively as possible. He's hooking me up w/ his supplier, that has hundreds of feet of closeout stuff that they are going to unload to me (I don't have exact pricing yet, but he assured me I wouldn't be dissapointed)....

Soooo I went to the place on Monday, and they were SUPER friendly. The guy in charge gave me an impromptu tour of this framing factory. Basically they make the frames that hang in hotel rooms, office buildings, salons, places like that.

So, he directs me to this Aisle of Molding, and he says that anything in here I can pick from, and he'll make me a good deal on it. They are the pieces that aren't made anymore, or aren't purchased by his company for mass production anymore.

Not a great selection, but definitely found some good stuff. All I could really get him to say about pricing thought, was that the wider the moulding, the more expensive. Well, I KNEW that, but I didn't know if it was the difference between $2 a foot & $4 or what. Sooo, after rummaging for about 20 minutes, I had 6 or 7 different moldings for a total length of about 270 feet.

The arrangement, as I stated earlier was that he'd sell it to a frame store, and the frame store would then turn & sell it to me, so he told me that he'd have it to the frame store on Friday. So, the frame store owner calls me today when I was in my Friday meetings @ work, so he leaves a message. I was honestly expecting to hear a total of around $400-$500 for that many feet, I thought $2 a foot for scrap stuff was pretty cheap. Boy, I was off. $140. Just about $.50 per foot, and this is NICE quality Molding. I'll post some pictures shortly. I about shat myself, then I was kicking myself for not grabbing more on my initial visit.

Fortunately, I asked him specifically if I could come down & get some more at a later date, and he gave me his card, told me to call him to set up a time, and that wouldn't be a problem, that they ALWAYS have extras to get rid of.

(sorry for the Novella, I'm pretty pumped up about this though :)

I'm not really sure how to take good pictures of this stuff, but here goes...

Image Image

I can't WAIT to use this for some Skeletal EMEK's!!!!

Image Image

Not sure if it will show in the photo, but this one is 'ribbed'

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Made one out of that stuff tonight. I, always imagining myself as the artist, added blue & red w/ Acrylics on the frame to accentuate the colors in the print, blue on the 2 sides, & red on top & bottom, between the little 'pyramids'...

Image Image

[/img]