Rolling Stones Tour 12 Fairey

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
dinkydoggy
Art Expert

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:26 am

velvet wrote:I drove eight hours (each way) for this show and could not bring myself to buy the poster.

Sure the design has minimal creativity going on, but I could have talked myself into maybe $75. No way at $300.

I think the dramatically overpriced tickets helped sell a lot of merch though. There's the drop-in-the-bucket mentality, combined with the "If I'm paying this much for a ticket I'm definitely walking out of here with a t-shirt" thing.

To think they'll make $600,000 off of two 1,000 run posters is crazy. And testament to Jagger the businessman I guess.
You definitely did the right thing. Just wait and see, these things will be showing up in the Failip thread.
omyweenis
Art Expert

Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:35 am

drymount the rolling bones! And i cant beleive this fudge either. Im an obey fan, but this really sucks! :roll:
jodeci78
Art Expert

Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:10 am

the website featured some retro litho posters of some sort last winter... they were $3-500 i think, but they were at least SIGNED by mick jagger or keith richards.

they were signed in pencil at the bottom where they left a nice 4-5" white border on the bottom.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:01 am

if for some reason you're blind and have to have this image, just buy the overpriced litho on the RS website is my suggestion or the $10 sticker...... (which I like but $10 bucks? - WTF)

:hanging: :hanging:
boxcarwilly
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:46 pm

talkingdeads wrote:tired artist + tired band = perfect!
Lost my fudge tryin to act casual.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:11 pm

velvet wrote: I could have talked myself into maybe $75. No way at $300.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
jamesgunter
Art Expert

Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:26 pm

i cant get past the fact that the font size in 'stones' is much wider than in 'rolling' ...it just looks like it was thrown together in 20 min.

and i could even see a higher price if it was a large poster but its 18X24... sucks
AlanCampbell
Art Expert

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:06 pm

This is pretty funny.
rapar
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:06 pm

Having personaly worked with the Stones and there managment team, I can tell you that YES they do have complete control over all pricing and merchandise and everything else goes by them for final ok no matter what. So yea $300 for a poster sounds about right for those guys, they really squeeze all the copper out of every penny with no regard for anyone else. I hate to say it but yes they are that greedy about everything, sad, they should appreciate there fans and others in the industry, but they just don't care.. $$$ all about the moola all the way...never understood the way they conduct business.
sickposterdude
Art Enthusiast

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:12 pm

Shep actually posted info on this Stones print back in June 2012....

SHEPARD DESIGNS ROLLING STONES 50TH ANNIVERSARY LOGO

I’ve been a big fan of the Rolling Stones since my dad introduced me to “Satisfaction.” “Tattoo You” is one of the earliest albums I bought with my own money and I studied the album package obsessively… you may notice how its color scheme and iconic art could have inspired me? The Rolling Stones have had a lot of great art over the decades, but nothing can top their tongue logo, originally created by John Pashe in 1971. In my opinion, the Stones’ tongue logo is the most iconic, potent, and enduring logo in rock ‘n’ roll history. I think the logo not only captures Mick Jagger’s signature lips and tongue, but also the essence of rebellion and sexuality that is the allure of all rock ‘n’ roll at its finest.

I first worked with Mick Jagger and Dave Stewart on their project Superheavy. Mick and Dave were great to work with and I became at ease with our creative rapport despite their stature as musicians. However, when Mick Jagger reached out to me about designing a logo to mark the Rolling Stones’ 50th anniversary I was quite overwhelmed. Mick said he was open to any of my ideas . One of the first things I asked Mick was “don’t you think the tongue HAS to be included?”. He responded “yeah I guess it ought to be”. Case closed. I was very humbled and honored to be asked to work on the 50th logo so my objective was to service and showcase the Stones’ legacy rather than try to make my contribution dominant.

I worked on this project as a fan knowing that the Stones’ tongue was the focus and the starting point. With that in mind I set out to integrate the 50 in a creative and memorable way. I think the solution speaks for itself in celebrating the Stones’ trademark icon and historical anniversary. I’d like to thank the Rolling Stones for all their great music that has impacted my life and for allowing me to make a small contribution to their 50th anniversary. Cheers!

-Shepard Fairey
“Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.”
~ Stephen Hawking
canuck
Art Freak

Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:15 pm

Does Shep have any copies of his own to sell?
rapar
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:16 pm

I doubt it, and if he dose he will have to sell them for at least what they sold there's for and then probably send then $275 of the $300, th :? ey do not unde :? r any circumstances allow others to profit in any way without payment to them first and foremost. Shep was probably just hired to do the art, I'm sure they own and have all rights to prints.
bkboy77
Art Expert

Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:24 pm

no creativity on this print but a lot of big names thrown into it..... :roll:

plus I really hate it when the artists themselves overcharge for their merch and there is not room for the man on the street to make money off of their own work.
fung430 wrote:Expressobeans knows everything.
Zukov
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:40 pm

Wow that's just BS, I can't believe somebody would shell out $300 on that, Stones and/or Shep fan or not...

I've stopped buying merch at concerts a couple of years ago, unless there is a poster that really grabs my attention (and doesn't cost an arm and a leg).

I got sick and drymounting tired of paying $50 plus for a t shirt that was printed on some dollar store quality crap that after a wash or two was unwearable. The whole concert merch thing is a total racket now, you'd think you'd at least get a shot at some cool exclusive for a reasonable price at a Stones show...
goldenrose
Art Expert

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:18 pm

This poster is an insult to both artists. All it does is inspire me to stay the hell away from the stone's tour and shep's artwork. What an absolute waste - so f*cking sad.
the reckless are out wrecking, the timid plead their pleas - robert hunter