Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:36 pm

Codeblue wrote:The sky is falling!
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Marty85
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:37 pm

rubberneck wrote:
iambillyg wrote:Stopped by the Gallery today to shoot some stuff. Didn't want to have to make a second trip tomorrow, so the guys were kind enough to let me pick this up today. Sorry no GID, but it's still pretty bright here.
Tonka
toobs
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:42 pm

You guys sure do bitch a lot
Codeblue wrote:Ya know they'll put out at least 1 "ZOMG gotta rub mah nuts on another dukes butt to get in line for it" poster.
SurfingJeff
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:54 pm

Jon1701 wrote:Mondo have garnered more attention and have a larger fanbase. As such they can produce more things covering more topics. Its obviously a sound business strategy as they are offering something different to more people in terms of genres they're interested in. Its working as they still sell out this week.

Some call it a drop in quality, i call that bullshit. Mondo has always put out prints that rock or prints that miss the mark for some, just now they're pumping out more prints overall and a portion of those are themed differently to what the core base wants.

If you eliminate those prints rather than bitch about them you have a lower release number.

Simply put, you can't own every drymounting print anyway nor should you want to.its art. Its subjective. Dont like it, dont buy and let someone else have it who will.
At least for those of us who can't attend the exclusive events, there absolutely has been a huge drop in quality. The web hasn't gotten first crack at a print with widespread acclaim since The Avengers series. This trend looks set to continue with NYCC and the Universal Monsters show. I honestly don't understand the logic of this. Perhaps it's some misguided attempt to "combat" flipping, but in my eyes it makes it even worse. Seeing the same folks hyping the latest releases for sale week after week has soured me quite a bit on Mondo.
T.H.C.
bethemonkey
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:57 pm

The timed release was the beginning of the end. Too much, too fast means no money for new stuff and no money for old stuff, which means everyone is left with stuff they can't get rid of.

$50 a week or more adds up quick.
I'm in Canada and it costs more to ship everywhere, so get over it.
finalfilppula
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:00 pm

toobs wrote:You guys sure do bitch a lot
Quick! Announce something to distract us.
starkdesign
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:02 pm

Jon1701 wrote:Some call it a drop in quality, i call that bullshit.

its art. Its subjective. Dont like it, dont buy and let someone else have it who will.
THIS.
Image New Zelda collection grid, but still need more; gotta keep adding to my collection! Image
infrared90s
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:06 pm

in any case, i think mondo's popularity has opened doors for them to do a wide variety of movies
wmd
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:40 pm

Movies are cool.
mattg
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:42 pm

Mondo's increased output has forced me to be more selective about what I buy. If I want to frame it I will pay what I need to in order to get it. I don't want a flat file full of stuff I kinda, sorta like.
mcnail
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:49 pm

This thread bums me out sometimes.

We just try to make the best posters we can for the opportunities we are given. At some point, you may not be able to buy every single poster, or feel every single poster is for you particularly, but luckily, we cover a broad range of tastes, so something you like will probably pop up eventually (and may be completely opposite of another Mondo collector).

There will obviously be ebbs and flows to the amount of online releases vs event releases, but that's the case with many companies. I think you'll find that we do some fun, exclusive stuff for SDCC and a couple of other events (partially to reward folks for coming out to see us in person, it costs a lot of time and money to travel, and they should feel like they've gotten something special), but that we focus on online releases for the beginning and end parts of the year. Gallery releases naturally debut at the gallery, as is custom anywhere.

Lastly, don't blame Mo for anything, he's the best. Please bring any concerns about this to me directly.

Cheers.
Creation88
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:52 pm

i agree...you guys bitch a lot.
omgkitty
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:55 pm

Creation88 wrote:i agree...you guys bitch a lot.
Welcome to the internet! Also, you never fixed your signature like I tried to help you do before haha
mike123230
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:56 pm

mcnail wrote:This thread bums me out sometimes.
TopHatZombies
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:59 pm

Happy October! :D
Image ImageImage