Reprints...how many is too many?

General art-related discussion.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:12 am

DidYouSeeMeEscaping wrote:It seems like for the most part, people at this point know which artists they should be wary of doing reprints when buying 1st editions at a premium.
Codeblue wrote:End thread.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Celsius
Flipper

Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:07 am

Codeblue wrote:
DidYouSeeMeEscaping wrote:It seems like for the most part, people at this point know which artists they should be wary of doing reprints when buying 1st editions at a premium.
Thing is a lot of people are also new to the game and don't know. :? Took me a while to find out myself. Almost got burned.
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

https://plushart.club
mrkyuss
Art God

Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:12 am

President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
xN3rDx
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:14 am

mrkyuss wrote:17.
Nailed it.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:10 am

Celsius wrote:
Codeblue wrote:
Thing is a lot of people are also new to the game and don't know. :? Took me a while to find out myself. Almost got burned.
Like buying anything else, caveat emptor.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
wneff
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:29 am

Codeblue wrote:Like buying anything else, caveat emptor.
That's so page 2.
wneff wrote:It is up to the buyer to decide whether a particular piece is worth the purchase price, based on a variety of factors, including the potential for follow-on editions.
jojobadass
Art God

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:06 am

if it's worth anything.......it will eventually be reprinted or bootlegged.

that's pretty much standard procedure.
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
FOODRAP
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:11 am

alteridiom wrote:None of this matters if you follow two simple rules:
1) Buy what you like.
2) Only pay what you comfortable paying for said piece of art.
The rules of collecting :notworthy:
ricv64
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:18 am

which looks better first edition BG-105 , 2nd or that big silkscreen reprint ?
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila
wneff
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:47 am

I'd like to see some examples of reprints or follow-on editions that had a verifiable negative effect on the value of a first edition. Operative word is "verifiable". Everything else is speculation.

PLEASE NOTE: I know the spirit of EB is all warm & fuzzy, a place where the values of posters and prints are irrelevant, here where we bask in the sunshine of our collective goodness. But still...I'd like to see some examples.
ChefFerrari
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:50 am

wneff wrote:I'd like to see some examples of reprints or follow-on editions that had a verifiable negative effect on the value of a first edition. Operative word is "verifiable". Everything else is speculation.

PLEASE NOTE: I know the spirit of EB is all warm & fuzzy, a place where the values of posters and prints are irrelevant, here where we bask in the sunshine of our collective goodness. But still...I'd like to see some examples.
I doubt EB wants to add a pride or butthurt meter to everyone's profile
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:19 pm

wneff wrote:
Codeblue wrote:Like buying anything else, caveat emptor.
That's so page 2.
wneff wrote:It is up to the buyer to decide whether a particular piece is worth the purchase price, based on a variety of factors, including the potential for follow-on editions.
Oof.
ackirkpatrick
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:28 pm

Is the real issue price or is it demand?
db23
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:28 pm

2nd printings, different colorways after the fact, open editions on different paper, different sizes, etc. are just annoying. print it, sell it and be done with it. can't stand how the "alleged" demand would cause an artist to do this. i got a Don Stepped Outside 2nd edition and i'm happy to have it because i like the image but i would've been pissed had i owned the 1st.

i'm with chrome on this one. the Danger print is the only one i know of that i think is way more than acceptable to reprint because he told everyone going in that he was going to do it, the story behind it is awesome and if you want one of any of the 6 editions (think that's where it's at now) you can find one.

that said, Grafter can reprint Splash and Eelus can reprint Not Everything Is So Black and White because i don't own those! :lol:
wneff
Art Expert

Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:12 pm

Codeblue wrote: Oof.
I got lucky.