Reprints...how many is too many?

General art-related discussion.
Olly
Art Connoisseur

Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:31 pm

Personally, the self-imposed NO-REPRINTS rule is something that helps me stay motivated to make better, newer stuff and try different things. For me, Once it's done it's done. Time to move on to the next thing.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:32 pm

Artists can do whatever they want with what they create, even if it is just a cash grab. I do think there is a loss of integrity with re-prints and variants being released long after the initial run.

Olly seems to have the right idea.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
spankman
Art Expert

Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:44 pm

Olly wrote:Personally, the self-imposed NO-REPRINTS rule is something that helps me stay motivated to make better, newer stuff and try different things. For me, Once it's done it's done. Time to move on to the next thing.
Nooooo! So no Star Wars trilogy reprints? :P
"I rushed him and caught him flush on the temple with a titanic right hand he was out cold, convulsing on the floor like an infantile retard.” Mike Tyson
Cragars
Art Expert

Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:24 pm

Artists provide you with an image to enjoy. Boom, done. Ideally you should only be a fan if you like the images.

Some dudes seem to have lost the fun factor in a hobby when they worry too much about in-group/out-group issues and investment value.
DeskJob
Art Enthusiast

Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:30 pm

Just stop, all of you.
Last edited by DeskJob on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Celsius
Flipper

Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:32 pm

As a consumer I feel burned. One of the reasons why I pay a premium for art is because I thought only x amount existed with no more to come out. If it was an open edition I would not pay beyond a certain amount for some prints. I would feel even worse if I bought it on ebay for a mark-up and later find out there is a second edition coming out. I feel like if you're willing to do reprints, you should state so on your website. Be communicative. Don't just put limited and leave it at that -- because otherwise you'd be lying.
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

https://plushart.club
dangerboy
Flipper

Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:52 pm

yeah that's what chaps me is that a piece that i have that was subsequently reprinted like 6 times, i bought when first released with no idea there would ever be reprints. it seems that reprints and mysterious "found" archived copies only surface if the print achieves a certain amount of success on the secondary market. seems like the artists get sorta mad that all they got was the money from the initial release and want to cash in on secondary profits by reprinting. if it wasn't about money, they wouldn't be reprinting and finding s/d's and unnumbered a/p's everywhere. just let the run be the run and let it go...
morecoffee wrote:
itsdug wrote:what does mint with pin holes mean?!
Consider it perfect and pure...like a virgin who loves ass play and sucking the clown.
pearlybaker wrote:This place is a magnet for retards with some sort of psychosis.
Mrcort
Art Expert

Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:04 pm

ChefFerrari wrote:The bigger question is your motive for the poo flinging campaign against Tim Doyle. You can hide behind the whole more reprint mantra all you want, but this is all motivated by something else. In reality he is not reprinting anything he is creating new editions of art people want and he is very clear as to them being new editions. Why are you not questioning what other artists do as well ?

Out of roughly 140-150 posters and prints Tim has done, he has created additional editions for 6-8 of them. Doyle went from managing a comic shop 7-8 years ago to being a top artist that sells out of almost everything and have his own print shop, he must be doing something right.

He sells posters and prints people want on their walls and provides for his family is there something really wrong with that ?

We're not talking Picasso's here, just cool affordable art that if people love it they can afford it and put it on their walls.

after writing this do you get his stout thing var in the next MYSTERY tube sale?
ackirkpatrick
Art Expert

Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:19 pm

Interesting that the original gigart has had multiple reprints of the inconic stuff and I would argue that it has increased the value of the original printing.
RiotAct
EB Team

Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:30 pm

Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:32 pm

corrected title

Polygamy - how many is too many?
golobulus
Art Expert

Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:22 pm

Grateful69Phish wrote:corrected title

Polygamy - how many is too many?
:rolling: One is enough!
Superfro33
Art Expert

Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:28 pm

dangerboy wrote:if it wasn't about money, they wouldn't be reprinting and finding s/d's and unnumbered a/p's everywhere. just let the run be the run and let it go...
Ironically if it wasn't about the money most people wouldn't give a fudge about reprints either. It's definitely my experience that the anti reprint faction seems to be more full of certain types of "collectors" over others.
dangerboy
Flipper

Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:38 pm

Superfro33 wrote:
dangerboy wrote:if it wasn't about money, they wouldn't be reprinting and finding s/d's and unnumbered a/p's everywhere. just let the run be the run and let it go...
Ironically if it wasn't about the money most people wouldn't give a fudge about reprints either. It's definitely my experience that the anti reprint faction seems to be more full of certain types of "collectors" over others.
so you'll give collectors fudge for worrying about the value of their prints, but you won't give artists fudge for cashing in after the fact? that's where i find the irony in this argument...
morecoffee wrote:
itsdug wrote:what does mint with pin holes mean?!
Consider it perfect and pure...like a virgin who loves ass play and sucking the clown.
pearlybaker wrote:This place is a magnet for retards with some sort of psychosis.
ricv64
Art Expert

Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:43 pm

Has the gazillion reprints of FD-26 changed the value greatly of a first edition ?
shoot , move and communicate - 125th SIG BN saying

Leokani Okauwila