Reprints...how many is too many?

General art-related discussion.
gonzo303
Art Freak

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:08 am

Honestly I'm done trashing the great Tim Doyle thread so I would really like to know what people's honest opinion is of reprints? Multiple found APs? Movie poster fails which are turned into art prints?

When is it too much? What artists disploit this too much?
Same fudge, different drop.
mrkyuss
Art God

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:12 am

John Doe's Stay Up Forever has to be one of the worst examples.

Doesn't give you much faith when you pick up a future release.
President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
seeker1115
Art Expert

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:15 am

As someone who has a 3rd Edition Doyle "The Cook" hanging up that I got for $30, as opposed to the around $100 I would have had to shell out for a 1st edition, I've got no problem with it. It's within an artist's right to reprint their own material if they want to.
Woodyland is a kitten
Googscarley
Flipper

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:16 am

gonzo303 wrote:Honestly I'm done trashing the great Tim Doyle thread so I would really like to know what people's honest opinion is of reprints? Multiple found APs? Movie poster fails which are turned into art prints?

what it is disploit? what is?
ironjaiden
Art Expert

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:21 am

Googscarley wrote:
gonzo303 wrote:
what it is disploit? what is?
I think he meant dipset

biscocrack420
Art Expert

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:33 am

talked about a million times. we all know the answer

mtarail
Art Expert

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:36 am

seeker1115 wrote: It's within an artist's right to reprint their own material if they want to.
ChefFerrari
Art Expert

Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:14 am

The bigger question is your motive for the poo flinging campaign against Tim Doyle. You can hide behind the whole more reprint mantra all you want, but this is all motivated by something else. In reality he is not reprinting anything he is creating new editions of art people want and he is very clear as to them being new editions. Why are you not questioning what other artists do as well ?

Out of roughly 140-150 posters and prints Tim has done, he has created additional editions for 6-8 of them. Doyle went from managing a comic shop 7-8 years ago to being a top artist that sells out of almost everything and have his own print shop, he must be doing something right.

He sells posters and prints people want on their walls and provides for his family is there something really wrong with that ?

We're not talking Picasso's here, just cool affordable art that if people love it they can afford it and put it on their walls.
bisondice
Art Expert

Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:16 am

biscocrack420 wrote:talked about a million times. we all know the answer

what he said
ErocAfellar wrote:Once you start buying art for the image and not the perceived value, it becomes more fun and less stressful.
stoffel
Art Expert

Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:53 am

ChefFerrari wrote:
We're not talking Picasso's here, just cool affordable art that if people love it they can afford it and put it on their walls.
hey van gogh even painted numerious versions of has sunflowers, so did Munch with"The scream" and many other painters did, so whats the big deal
if people would see this hobby as nice prints they want to put on their walls vs things to sell for money everyone would be so much happier.
i apologize to anyone who fought a grizzly bear to make it to a computer. i appreciate the support.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:17 am

Why would any one person care to beat this horse a dozen times?

That a reprint .... :lol:

What's the real issue?

Didn't you say you stopped collecting anyways?
mrkyuss
Art God

Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:17 am

ChefFerrari wrote:The bigger question is your motive for the poo flinging campaign against Tim Doyle. You can hide behind the whole more reprint mantra all you want, but this is all motivated by something else. In reality he is not reprinting anything he is creating new editions of art people want and he is very clear as to them being new editions. Why are you not questioning what other artists do as well ?

Out of roughly 140-150 posters and prints Tim has done, he has created additional editions for 6-8 of them. Doyle went from managing a comic shop 7-8 years ago to being a top artist that sells out of almost everything and have his own print shop, he must be doing something right.

He sells posters and prints people want on their walls and provides for his family is there something really wrong with that ?

I dont even know who Tim Doyle is.
President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
AtomicDaytona
Art Expert

Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:27 am

gonzo303 wrote:Honestly I'm done trashing the great Tim Doyle thread so I would really like to continue doing the same thing here instead
fixed ^
gonzo303 wrote: I would really like to know what people's honest opinion is of reprints?
Most people just DGAF really, at least not at the same level at which you do, it's just not healthy
gonzo303 wrote: What artists disploit this too much?
This question would be easier to answer if we knew what a disploit was.
Calmer than you are.
FOODRAP
Art Expert

Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:32 am

Reprints by the artist are wack unless it has a different meaning or reason than the original run.

Like a charity colorway or maybe if the artist advised of the later edition release that would help.

Not too sure how i feel.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:38 am

FOODRAP wrote:Reprints by the artist are wack
don't you collect Brainwash- he reprints a ton of images...? :D :hanging: