Flat file refurb project

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
farva2
Art Connoisseur

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:51 pm

Hey all , so I finally finished my flat file the other day and am happy to add this to the collection of flat file threads! Picked this baby up for $60 on craigslist and needless to say it needed some work. I followed the advice of several threads here (ill post links in a bit) so thanks are in order! I'm quite happy with how it turned out, especially the sparkle blue on the drawers! I didn't take any process pics but if you have some questions feel free to ask and I'll shed some light on that for you.
Process

Materials used
-Sand 150 grit
-Sand 220 Grit
-3 cans of Rustoleum Black
-3 cans of Rustoleum Blue sparkle
-2 cans of white primer
-Plastic sheeting x2 rolls
-Painters tape
-Masks w/respirators
-flitz chrome/metal shine
Cost-$80 more or less

(Forgot a step, removed the chrome handles from the drawers)
1.Sand everything down with 150 grit
2.Wipe off all the debris and Wash everything down with soapy water
3.Lay down a coat of white primer, let dry for 24 hours, sand, reapply (2 coats total)
4.Add coats of blue to drawers/ black to the cabinet and always sand between coats. (took about 3 coats each)
5.Chrome shine the handles with Flitz shiner.
6.Clean inside of drawers with paper towels and soapy water plus reattach handles
7.ASSEMBLE!
mistersmith wrote: (an unlicensed Bad Boys 2 poster is probably the least essential use I can think of for a piece of paper. At least if you wipe your ass with some paper you will have cleaned up a mess).
farva2
Art Connoisseur

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:53 pm

Some more before
mistersmith wrote: (an unlicensed Bad Boys 2 poster is probably the least essential use I can think of for a piece of paper. At least if you wipe your ass with some paper you will have cleaned up a mess).
farva2
Art Connoisseur

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:58 pm

money shot.JPG
goldenrose
Art Expert

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:02 pm

Looks great!
the reckless are out wrecking, the timid plead their pleas - robert hunter
rhythmgtr5
Art Expert

Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:39 am

That looks really good. How many hours would you say it took to refurb it?
farva2
Art Connoisseur

Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:34 pm

rhythmgtr5 wrote:That looks really good. How many hours would you say it took to refurb it?
Took about 3 weekends, the longest part of the drying time.It's hard to put a number of hours on that but I'll say 10-15 hours more or less not counting drying time.