Flat File Refurb

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
Baker
Art Expert

Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:08 pm

So a few weeks back I managed to get a steal on this set of flatfiles for 50 bucks. They were frankly good to go right from picking them up. Knowing we had the long weekend coming up over labor day decided I wanted to sand them down a bit and give them a fresh coat of paint.

Here they are from the picture on craiglist.
file by Tb252803, on Flickr

Got all the handles taken off and all the dustcovers taken out too. The dustcovers were kind of a bitch to get out since the metal had been pinched in to keep them in place. managed to get them all out though without mangling any of them to much.

primed by Tb252803, on Flickr
dustcovers by Tb252803, on Flickr

Used a ton of painters tape and saran wrap to tape everything off best I could to keep everything from getting covered in overspray.
taped by Tb252803, on Flickr

Used some filler/primer to get them ready for the paint. Here is just a picture of stuff stacked up in the corner before calling it a day saturday.

photo by Tb252803, on Flickr

I didnt take really in progress shots since I was busy being covered in paint. But I like the way it all came out. I used Montana Black spray for the color on them. Had a little trouble with the top since it was so big and was hard to keep a consistent color on it. But in the end, it looks good. If anything I just need to someday take the top off again and brush on some more clear coat. Still gotta load em up with prints, but happy to have a flatfile again :pint:

IMG_0238 by Tb252803, on Flickr
IMG_0239 by Tb252803, on Flickr
IMG_0241 by Tb252803, on Flickr
ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"
phishstix101
Art Expert

Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:12 pm

:clap:
middayshadows
Art Expert

Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:15 pm

Fantastic work!

They turned out looking great. Must be really satisfying. I've been looking a little more intently lately, here in LA for a flat file of my own. I should have tracked one down long ago...

Good to know that a moderately worn/used one can be made to look so good, with a little elbow grease!
talkingdeads
Art Expert

Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:17 pm

TIM, looks great!!

But, take my advice and remove those label plates and throw them back to the stinking hell they came from. I had some problems with them dinging up good prints, I would love to save you the headache.
Baker
Art Expert

Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:56 pm

Thanks everyone, and Matt, Ill have to look into that and see if they are sticking out any on the inside of the drawer. Good looking out :cheers:
ironjaiden wrote: "'Weener in June' is completely sold out, thanks for the interest"
mycrospazm
Art Expert

Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:13 pm

Came out really great, man. I'm working on a very similar project, but instead of blue I chose a really deep purple for the accent color. Still not quite happy with how uneven the paint on the top is looking, so I keep on sanding, and re-spraying...
Baker
Art Expert

Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:19 pm

mycrospazm wrote:Came out really great, man. I'm working on a very similar project, but instead of blue I chose a really deep purple for the accent color. Still not quite happy with how uneven the paint on the top is looking, so I keep on sanding, and re-spraying...
Best way to do it is lots of coats. I probably did 3 or 4 light coats before sanding it, gave it a decent sanding, then 2 more light coats, hit it with some 0000 steel wool and then clear coat.
srdzevon
Art Expert

Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:21 pm

Looks boss man! Great job!
ImageX5 Hodor Image