The Ebay Advice Column

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:33 am

Most expensive print I have sold was $1600 and shipped it via USPS. USPS will insure up $5000 on normal shipments, $25000 on registered.

I don't ship FedEx or UPS much, but the bulletproof way to cover yourself with them is to have them package it. Personally, not sure I would trust them with that. If they package it and it gets damaged, it's an automatic acceptance on the claim.

As for the Best Offer, that is the best way to do it, if you would like to review your buyers.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
jjbehren
Flipper

Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:49 am

Hey, sweet! I just realized another seller copied and pasted all my shipping/"disclaimer" language from my ebay listings. Maybe I'm a better lawyer than I thought...
downbytheriver
Art Expert

Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:17 pm

I'd like to see some of that legal speak. ^^^

I gave up selling on ebay thanks to entitled, d-bag schemers looking to hose someone at every turn (granted there were always entirely more timely, thoughtful, caring...wonderful ebayers), there's always ONE in every crowd whose counter-productive, negative tenacity is unparalleled by even the finest of previous generations' scamming lewsers.

The newest scam was to claim item was not packaged to their satisfaction and softly demand either partial payment or partial/full shipping refund.

Despite any disclaimer stating you are not a retailer, you cannot replace the item if broken, lost or damaged in transit and that you will issue a full refund etc.etc.

They won't accept full refund, they just want a little some-something extra. GREED is really fuggin with some people these days, and well sir, I don't like it!

Then, upon learning they couldn't milk the seller with their under-the-radar, low-key blackmailing techniques would bust your stuff up far worse than ever described, or photographed (or even imaginable) out of sheer spite and return it to you for their refund.

If these clowns would spend 1/2 as much time flying straight, and plowing positive energy back into society, the world would be a muuuuch better place.

just my .02
"lance wrote:drymount, man, this is better than Disneyland! chef wrote: I used to think if I died in an evil place, then my soul wouldn't be able to make it to Heaven. But now? drymount! I mean, I don't care where it goes, as long as it ain't here.
dangerboy
Flipper

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:36 am

downbytheriver wrote: I gave up selling on ebay thanks to entitled, d-bag schemers looking to hose someone at every turn (granted there were always entirely more timely, thoughtful, caring...wonderful ebayers), there's always ONE in every crowd whose counter-productive, negative tenacity is unparalleled by even the finest of previous generations' scamming lewsers.

If these clowns would spend 1/2 as much time flying straight, and plowing positive energy back into society, the world would be a muuuuch better place.

recent interaction with ebayer:

i list item with 800 buy it now
buyer offers 400
i let it expire
buyer offers 500
i counter 650
buyer counters 550 with comment "best i can do is 550"
i accept
buyer disappears
item sits for 8-10 days while ebay actions run their course

while i do make money there, the douchebags and hoopjumps really do get to be a PITA. people just drymounting suck overall, in general, as a group. but they do that everywhere, i guess, so why should ebay be any different?
morecoffee wrote:
itsdug wrote:what does mint with pin holes mean?!
Consider it perfect and pure...like a virgin who loves ass play and sucking the clown.
pearlybaker wrote:This place is a magnet for retards with some sort of psychosis.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:24 am

Once eBay requires immediate/approved payment upon end of auction, I think a lot of these horrid buyers will fade away.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
jjbehren
Flipper

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:38 am

halftonegraphics wrote:Once eBay requires immediate/approved payment upon end of auction, I think a lot of these horrid buyers will fade away.
You can't do that with a Best Offer, though.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:54 am

jjbehren wrote:
halftonegraphics wrote:Once eBay requires immediate/approved payment upon end of auction, I think a lot of these horrid buyers will fade away.
eBay is working on it. They are wanting to make it so buyers sign a release so that when an auction ends the funds will automatically come out of the buyers account. This would be for auctions and best offer. It is already available for BIN.

1xRun Referral
Xander
Art Expert

Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:27 pm

I'd like advice for the following two scenarios, please.

a) I have a low feedback score (34) and I sold an item on eBay for the first time a few days ago for $1,200. My buyer has an even lower feedback score (19), however; is there a chance they could hose me or does that usually happen with higher feedback buyers that have more experience using eBay?

b) There's a pending balance in my PayPal account for around $1,160, which is the payment for that item minus the PayPal fee. I've never had that happen to me before, my money being put on hold in my own account. Does the buyer need to confirm they received the item and leave positive feedback on eBay before I get my money? I have a tube on the way, I've already bought postage/insurance (for $1,200) through eBay, I've entered the tracking number on PayPal for the item to be shipped this Thursday, and I've reached out to the buyer via e-mail. Am I covering all my bases?
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:33 pm

Getting rid of the Geddes already?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
hayward96
Art Connoisseur

Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:36 pm

jjbehren wrote:
To get immediate payment with a best offer, decline the offer and tell them you will lower the price to what they offered.
Lower price and require immediate payment.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:51 pm

Xander wrote:I'd like advice for the following two scenarios, please.

a) I have a low feedback score (34) and I sold an item on eBay for the first time a few days ago for $1,200. My buyer has an even lower feedback score (19), however; is there a chance they could hose me or does that usually happen with higher feedback buyers that have more experience using eBay?

b) There's a pending balance in my PayPal account for around $1,160, which is the payment for that item minus the PayPal fee. I've never had that happen to me before, my money being put on hold in my own account. Does the buyer need to confirm they received the item and leave positive feedback on eBay before I get my money? I have a tube on the way, I've already bought postage/insurance (for $1,200) through eBay, I've entered the tracking number on PayPal for the item to be shipped this Thursday, and I've reached out to the buyer via e-mail. Am I covering all my bases?
Signature confirmation is your buddy. That is all.

With a low amount of PayPal transactions and a single large amount transaction, PayPal probably froze the funds in fear of fraud. When it doubt, give them a call. They will tell you why.

1xRun Referral
Xander
Art Expert

Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:30 am

Codeblue wrote:Getting rid of the Geddes already?
Yeah, want to buy it?
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:51 am

That was quick. Oh, and no.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Xander
Art Expert

Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:56 am

Codeblue wrote:That was quick.
The world has bigger plans for me than just paper, but I'll miss you anyways.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:01 am

Codeblue wrote:Nobody ever really leaves.