Name Your TOP10 Horkey Prints

General art-related discussion.
murdock
Art Expert

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:57 am

I've been wanting to do this for quite a while now, so I guess I'll just do it now or never...

As we all know, Aaron has done well over 250 individual print editions by now, with some images seeing only one single edition and some others going into as much as 19 different printing/color/paper variations. Taken all of that into account: Which 10 prints are your personal favorites?

Now, this thread is just for fun, so I don't want to get to far out on rules and stuff, but, just to make it comparable: Please choose 10 individual prints and put them in a numbered line. Runner ups are cool, but list them separate from your TOP10. If you want to include 2 versions of the OTA or WBG in that list, go ahead! If you want to include a print you never even seen in the flesh, do what you have to. Personally, I've done a TOP25 and kept re-arranging until I had the 10 that, for me, stood out above all the others. And, believe me, it WAS hard! And I did try to stick to prints I had seen with my own eyes, well, except for one single print - and that one actually made #1...

So, just to make it clear and keep it comparable: Choose 10 prints designed by Aaron Horkey (alone! no colabs!), printed on paper (screenprint, giclee or letterpress) bearing an edition number (nothing that's been painted or remarqued outside of the edition) and put them in an order from 1 to 10. Humor us.

Thanks for playing :pint:
Don’t deal with MillerTime04 - he’s a scammer
murdock
Art Expert

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:57 am

So, here's my list:

1. Whale Bone Grove Japan Steel Grey No Sky Edition
Image Image

2. Mogwai
Image Image

3. Flight of the Conchords Cream Edition
Image Image

4. Nesting
Image Image

5. Over the Atlas Black Subscriber/Variant Edition
Image Image

6. Grails Burlesque Edition
Image Image

7. True Grit Variant Edition
Image Image

8. Detritus Japan Steel Grey Edition
Image Image

9. The Ruse
Image Image

10. Cable 3 Nights of Noise Blue Green Edition
noweyesee
Art Expert

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:05 am

Damn good list. never even seen number one before, but that is very cool. I am going to have to think about this and post.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:14 am

just to be clear before I start my list, I'm guessing moalted foal doesn't count even though it was signed because it wasn't numbered?

I think it will be interesting to see everyone's lists as you've got 3 or 4 that wouldn't be anywhere near my top and I'm guessing I will also have several that other people might not like as much.
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
murdock
Art Expert

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:21 am

greenhorn1 wrote:just to be clear before I start my list, I'm guessing moalted foal doesn't count even though it was signed because it wasn't numbered?
Right. No stickers, no t-shirts, no drawings. Was actually thinking to make it screen prints only, but I figured this should sort out itself...
greenhorn1 wrote:I think it will be interesting to see everyone's lists as you've got 3 or 4 that wouldn't be anywhere near my top and I'm guessing I will also have several that other people might not like as much.
I was thinking the very same thing and can't wait to see other peoples lists :)
noweyesee wrote:I am going to have to think about this and post.
Looking forward to it!
Stingers
Art Expert

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:02 am

ISIS Shades of The Swarm Europe White :

ISIS/Baroness Pacific Rim :

ODIR :

Pan's Labyrinth / laberinto del fauno variant

White Cable :

Plighting The Troth :

Not in hand yet but I'll say ROTK Variant :

WBG Japan :

OTA Blue :

Converge Japan White :

Last edited by Stingers on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:21 am

No particular order. The first 6 or so were easy but after that it got real hard to narrow down.

1. Mogwai
2. Over the Atlas - Blue Variant
3. Flight of the Black Osprey
4. Midwestern Heart - regular
5. Whale Bone Grove Japan Steel Grey
6. Aepyornis - White Variant
7. Plighting the Troth
8. Cable (1) - White Variant
9. Genghis Tron - Steel Grey
10. Dead Man

Narrowly missing the cut - Andrew Bird '12, Pelican, Sunn/Boris thistle and Dianogah which would definitely have made it if it were on a better color paper.
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
simianfever
Art Expert

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:46 am

Unfortunately haven't seen some of these in the flesh, but hope to someday. BTW- this was tough and may change in an hour.

1. Whale Bone Grove - Japan (my favorite wbg and horkey piece based on jpgs. iso)

2. Mogwai Chicago 06 (not really a Mogwai fan and often skip gig posters for bands I dont love but the art/lettering on this is just too great. iso)

3. Whale Bone Grove Blue w/Yellow Moon (pipe dream)

4. Agalloch - Silver (another one where the art trumped the fact it was a tour poster for a band Im meh on, my first horkey purchase)

5. The Ruse (love it, frame shopping at the moment for this one)

the rest are all ISO's I hope to have at some point.

6. Megalocerus Letterpress

7. Nesting

8. Cache

9. OTA

10. Fantomas 05
ceevee
Art Expert

Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:05 am

Here is my list. I went only with prints that I have seen.

This one is all sorts of magical to me...from the composition to the execution of the drawing to the fantastic print job to the embossed title. My personal #1.

The Minnesotan in me almost puts this one above WBG. It is a close second.

I go back and forth between this one and the first ed, though knowing the history of my copy of this version maybe puts it over the top. Definitely OTA for the third spot though.

The first edition is no slouch, but the Japan Detritus has an elegant antique look and little details that make it something special. A top five for sure.

Well, I guess I tend to favor art prints, because all five of my top picks are in that category. This one is very powerful in person. Top shelf.

Another art print. Great composition. Even better story. What's not to love?

Pretty much a perfect gig poster in my book. I'd probably pick the black if I saw it in person, but the first edition is pretty close.

The colors of the first edition do nothing for me. This one though does an incredible composition justice. I love the incorporation of the lettering in this poster.

Pure, simple, and moody. This one, like others on my list, also has a personal story attached to it that makes it a bit more special to me.

Though not a screenprint, Dead Man has to make the cut in my top 10. This one is stellar in person and the letterpress elements give it real texture and depth.

-------------------------------

Honorable mention to the Grails Key Line. If the first edition were simple black and white, putting the drawing front and center, it would have made my top 10.
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:08 am

(1) Image (2) Image (3) Image (4) Image (5) Image
(6) Image (7) Image (8) Image (9) Image (10) Image

Let me include this frame-up:

And ODIR and Dead Man are coming soon.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:08 am

ODIR! Nice list, Mach
jachapma
Art Expert

Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:11 am

Still thinking of mine. It's so hard not to break the rules and put the Decemberists EMEK collab on there. That one is the reason I got into Horkey.
I *still* don't care for Gob.
smellmysocks73
Art Expert

Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:11 am

Love this thread, Murdock. Love it.

Gonna think long and hard on my ten and then post later...
srdzevon said, "Oh fudge!!! That's awesome! I hate you".
sidewaysscott
Art God

Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:15 am

Here's my selection :lol:

ImageISO
ImageISO
ImageISO
ImageISO
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
zefarrett
Art Freak

Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:36 am

is anyone else kinda surprised nesting isn't in anyones top 3? i thought people poop their pants over that print.
me owwww
Instagram: zefarrett
Untappd: zefarrett (just pm me who you are)