Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
TKuczynski
Art Expert

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:09 pm

Celsius wrote:This is quoting Justin from back in November 2011:
Ishmael told CBR that while Mondo plans to release more of the DC Universe's panoramic location designs in the future, DC fans can also expect a plethora of different poster layouts looking forward. "I want to do Oa, I want to do the Batcave. The Batcave is going to be really cool, with all the trophy stuff, the Tyrannosaurus Rex and the penny and all the different suits and all the stuff that Batman's collected over the years," Ishmael said. "But we're going to straight poster posters. Kind of what we're doing with movies -- a poster, with titles and credit blocks. We're going to try to do that. If we do a 'Watchmen' poster, it'll be something like that. It'll kind of resemble a movie poster. We're not sure if we can do this, but the idea is to do a credit block using the creators [in the credits]."

And the ambitious plans don't stop there. A comic fan himself, Ishmael's list contains potential designs that are sure to appeal to comic fandom. "I want to get weird with it," he said. "If fans get into this and fans like it, I want to do stuff with Darkseid. I'm a huge [Jack] Kirby fan, so I'd love to do all the classic DC stuff. There's so much to play with over the whole history of it, it's going to be a crazy series. I would love to even get weird and do a poster with all the incarnations of Jimmy Olsen."
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=35591
I feel like the poster fell short with "all the trophy stuff"

There's "all the trophy stuff" that "batman collected over the years" but there's only three shown that I can see on the poster.

The batmobiles deserve more real estate too.
KSUvet
Art Expert

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:10 pm

tomdon wrote:This batcave is perfect. It feels like Batman:TAS, which is the best batman ever seen on television. It just screams that show.
I'm a pretty big fan of that series, and I don't get that feeling at all. It's been awhile since I've seen the show, however.
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
IWish
Art Expert

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:19 pm

I like the JC print. Won't be going for one, though. I'm on a print-buying break...just spent a good amount on art supplies and frames. Don't think this will be hard to pick-up down the road considering the run.
gerallestes
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:22 pm

Darkknight37 wrote:I think it's alright; I've always dug the T-Rex, Giant Penny, and Joker playing card. They kind of became staples of the Bat-cave over the years. Also think it's cool he has the Jason Todd Robin outfit.
UPDATE: Below, we’ve included a write-up from JC Richard providing some insight on the creation of this poster.
http://blog.mondotees.com/2012/08/28/we ... file-sale/
cestjoel
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:25 pm

sounds like there gonna be another batcave...

Finally, we are left with our characters. Or more accurately- our lone hero and a ghost. The Batman in this scene remains tortured by the loss of Jason Todd (if you aren’t familiar with the ‘Death in the Family’ storyline from the comics, you should go read that asap). He stands alone in his great empty hall replaying the past and reflecting on his next mission, while the Joker’s mocking, smiling face looms over his shoulder and the Shrine to his fallen friend stands silent in the corner. To view this scene in the proper context, you should keep in mind it represents the ‘after’ panel in the storyline… the ‘before’ panel has yet to be revealed…"
Tron
Art Enthusiast

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:26 pm

The T-Rex absolutely ruins it for me. As well as a lot of the layout. I don't care what anyone says, even if it dates back to the comics it's corny as hell.

The problem with trying to do EVERYTHING with a Batcave print is tonally many of the series were different; the old comics, then the 60s show, then the modern day, etc. Putting them together is fine, but giving such weight to insignificant elements (case in point, T-Rex) I think detracts from the overall print. The little easter eggs here and there is kind of cool, but also the design/structure being completely different from any previous conception of how the Batcave looks is also a bit bizarre.

I appreciate a little more after reading the design process, explanation and thought that went into making this print, but from a visual standpoint it does not impress me at all or hold a candle to JC's other prints. I don't think it will be hard to get, easy pass for me, hope those who want it can get it.

I would echo many others sentiments that it's been a while since a great drop has happened. It was bound to happen

SlyTMan
Art Enthusiast

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:29 pm

To view this scene in the proper context, you should keep in mind it represents the ‘after’ panel in the storyline… the ‘before’ panel has yet to be revealed…
Well that's pretty interesting. I'd love to see what else JC does with Batman. :clap:
mohawkpalace
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:35 pm

I personally feels JC wanted to shows Batman isolation & loneliness. Or else the Batcave would be cluttered with more paraphernalia.

Celsius
Flipper

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:45 pm

cestjoel wrote:sounds like there gonna be another batcave...

Finally, we are left with our characters. Or more accurately- our lone hero and a ghost. The Batman in this scene remains tortured by the loss of Jason Todd (if you aren’t familiar with the ‘Death in the Family’ storyline from the comics, you should go read that asap). He stands alone in his great empty hall replaying the past and reflecting on his next mission, while the Joker’s mocking, smiling face looms over his shoulder and the Shrine to his fallen friend stands silent in the corner. To view this scene in the proper context, you should keep in mind it represents the ‘after’ panel in the storyline… the ‘before’ panel has yet to be revealed…"
Yeah....
JC Richard wrote:Basically it will be the tale of how we attempt to tell an iconic, complex narrative in 2 screenprinted panels, only changing minor staging between the two... astoundingly, I think it worked out.
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

https://plushart.club
RidgeRat
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:46 pm

Justin just posted this on twitter of a failed delivery. I thought it was funny....
"Faced with crisis, the man of character falls back upon himself."
ISO of JLU's

iambillyg
Art Freak

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:48 pm

Golden ticket inside makes it all better.
gerallestes
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:50 pm

iambillyg wrote:Golden ticket inside makes it all better.
beat me to it
mycrospazm
Art Expert

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:51 pm

I'm pretty sure I would kick my mailman in the balls if he pulled some bullshit like that...
iambillyg
Art Freak

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:56 pm

mycrospazm wrote:I'm pretty sure I would kick my mailman in the balls if he pulled some bullshit like that...
Mine is a lady and had no explanation as to why she delivered my Thing variant in the condition it was in. Deserved a swift kick in the ovaries.
jesseindisguise
Art Expert

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:57 pm

iambillyg wrote:Mine is a lady and had no explanation as to why she delivered my Thing variant in the condition it was in.
You sniff the tube?
Blake wrote:Always Be Tubing.