Place for UK users to gather/trade/chat!

Regional Trading for International users and other types of group sales.
New threads require Moderator approval.
Forum rules
This area is for regional trading threads for international users and other types of group sales.

Before starting a thread in this area please send a message to the Global Moderators group with details and await approval.
Chenley123
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:19 pm

Sorry, to be clear that was flood gallery not Dark city, DC have seemed great...great packing from what I've got and heard
rocker
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:44 pm

PAGE 200 !!!!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/posterbuddies/
Facebook group for chatting about prints
Chenley123
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:55 pm

Lol! 1st!
jamesmassey1988
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:04 pm

Fattyramone wrote:
jamesmassey1988 wrote:I've paid between $14 - $65 for shipping from the US. It is not cheap. Places like MONDO/Mark Englert are able to charge $25/$23 but only because of the volume they're shipping at a time. If you're buying a print in a private sale and you want it shipped properly - you're looking at about $40.
I may disagree there James , , when you say "properly" you mean paypal protected , and this i cant disagree with..

However its crazy of us here to need to do things "properly" for a $40 poster?? ...$40 is what? ...£26 -£28?

On the RARE occasions that a $40 poster goes missing/delivered destroyed i can suck that cost up in lieu of the HUNDREADS of dollars i save by accepting the risk and requesting it be sent via normal airmail for a cost of $15-$18 uninsured

Im saving myself at least $20 a time in postage fees alone each time ....and that doesnt factor in the added customs charges that then gets added not just to a $40 poster but to a total cost of $80-$90 ($40 poster cost & $40-$50 p&p) because they count the cost of the postage fees as well when they tally up what the poster is "worth" when its imported into the country..PLUS the ebiquitous £8 "handeling" fees

Suddenly a £25 poster buy has cost me £50-£60 before its in my portfolio! ....nah , id much rather take a risk on a rare lost poster that keep on paying these stupid prices for p&p for a £20-£25 item.

Now, if the poster is of a £100 value its a diffrent matter.....
Let me stop you there.
I don't insure my prints either. I pay the money to get them to me quickly. That's what I meant by properly - to lessen the chance of damage. I was not promoting insurance. Everyone can choose that for themselve, I (personally) don't think it's worth the customs charge.

Also, man this thread has picked up steam. Page 200! Mental.
TWTTR - @masseyjh
INSTGRM - @jimmassey
:ziggi:
jampar5000
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:08 pm

Tentatively, I think I just scored my first ever drop with Whalen's NY giants! Can hardly believe it - well that is until i get a refund for oversell - so we will see! almost time for several of :pint: in celebration!
LeeKaye wrote:I liked it, but I am trying to resist the lure of one more 'wafer thin print'
jamesmassey1988
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:09 pm

Congrats!
TWTTR - @masseyjh
INSTGRM - @jimmassey
jampar5000
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:12 pm

Hey Chenley, I have not been in to flood, but did contact him as i have a large collection of Alien Corset prints, and wondered if he would be interested in bulk buying them - he told me he gets a lot of his prints below cost direct from artists, which sounded odd to me. did you buy something there? is it worth the trip all the way to greenwich from brixton?
LeeKaye wrote:I liked it, but I am trying to resist the lure of one more 'wafer thin print'
jampar5000
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:13 pm

Thanks JamesMassey1988 - what a feeling, finally buying a print for its actual price!
deestar
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:15 pm

Go easy, don't judge. Welcome a Newbie poster here.

You guys seem to be the "Authority" i have been looking for in Blighty.
Congrats on the posts going past 200 pages, will do my best to catch up with the run of the place but in the meantime i just wanted to say Hi, well.......... Hi i guess.

Just missed out on a Whalen AP, congrats to the snaggers.

Hoping to be around here for a while.
dearmrecho
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:26 pm

Just to head back to the halcyon days of page 199 for a moment...
jampar5000 wrote:thanks all, some interesting info. would you buy from another eb member using the Paypal Gift method for an untracked item? (ie so you cannot get your money back if the poster never arrives?).

ABSOLUTELY NOT! Do not do this unless you have an established trustful relationship with the seller... even then I'd think carefully about it. I know there is at least one other member of the Digital Fix/AV Forums here - on there it is very common to pay by Paypal gift - it's the exact opposite here and from personal experience I'm quite glad it is. Like you say if you pay by gift payment that's the end of it - your money is gone regardless of if you get your print or not. Even some longstanding, seemingly respectful, EBers can go off the rails and leave you out of pocket (do a search for thunderinthesky). Has someone asked you to pay by gift?

Congratulations on the Whalen... I had a go myself... a bit half-heartedly I'll admit... and didn't land one. Nice print.
jampar5000
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:37 pm

Well, I did not want to pay $40 shipping for a $110 Whalen NYC Giants print, so he said he would be happy to do it for $20, but it would have to be by paypal gift, as he had been burned before, which is understandable. thanks for the advice - much appreciated indeed.
jamesmassey1988
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:43 pm

If you pay by gift you're an idiot. Unless of course you trust the other person involved. Remember, though, that trust must be earned.
TWTTR - @masseyjh
INSTGRM - @jimmassey
Fattyramone
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:08 pm

Well ive paid via "gift" to 3 or 4 people on EB , and everything has been fine ... :clap:

For me thats my risk to trust them in exchange for them sending it via "normal" post at a cost of approx $15 and saving myself $25-$30 on the cost of of the $40-$45 they want to send it to me to cover themselves just in case "I" turn out to be the crook in the deal.

Really its your call on the trust element , if you dont trust them enough to send it via "gift" then you have to be prepared to pay the premium postage rates and all the other costs that that can accumilate.

If you feel you can trust them then offer to pay "gift" and save yourself a bundle of postal costings
Fattyramone
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:15 pm

I personally think on on this (any) forum , dedicated to anything its a little to easy to become totally paranoid over "scams and shysters" and end up mistrusting everybody who cant walk on water wearing a crown of thorns.......

This is because when anything untoward does happen it tends to get a thread dedicated soley about it and it sticks in the mind of everybody who reads it ....nobody starts daily threads about all the 1000's of deals that pass without incident.

People are generally good.
deestar
Art Expert

Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:30 pm

But dont you think that when dealing with things that seem too good to be true, in general you follow your gut feeling.

You aren't going to find Olly Moss's Star Wars set for $200, it just isn't cricket!
So thats why people have an inner voice that questions things because once in a while, people take advantage.
I have been on ebay for years and have feedback of nearly 300, about 4 buys have gone sour, i remember each one but know in general its rare.

So if you pay your money you take your chances, everytime.

We need to have a circle of trust, that doesn't involve Deniro or Stiller!!