Poster Mountain Appreciation Thread

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
Evolution
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:04 am

iambillyg wrote:
Evolution wrote:Guess I'm just looking for suggestions or feedback? Admittedly PM's work speaks for itself, but you know... sending these off makes me nervous. :hanging: Also, it's tough to swallow $75 for flattening some ripples when I see what they did to Sasquatch's PJ print for the same price, but I suppose it's all the same process. Maybe I should put some pinholes and creases in the prints before I send 'em off just to get more bang for my buck. :lol:
Given the value of those prints, I would either ship them flat to PM, or ship them in a PVC tube. Insure for the current value of them (not what you paid). Given the value is over 2k, you may have to do separate shipments to be able to insure them properly.

Hope you're kidding about the pinholes. I think with how much those prints are worth, $75 is a small price to pay to have them restored to mint.
:lol: Of course I'm kidding about the pinholes. And I agree. Given the value of the prints, $75 a pop is more than reasonable to restore them to mint, especially since it involves actual magic. I mean... tickets to a Criss Angel show start at $60, and that guy just pretends.
camaroz06
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:00 pm

Thats funny, I am thinking of sending the same set to have some creases removed from when Mondo shipped me the set. I would send it flat. I'm thinking of loading each into a mylar sleeve, taping the sleeve to foam board, sandwiching all the prints and using heave cardboard to surround the whole thing.
Evolution wrote:Thinking of sending my Moss SW Trilogy off to Poster Mountain. While attempting to frame them I noticed they all have ripples that create shadows under the mat. The strange thing is that 90% of the prints I have stored the same way are ripple-free, but a small handful have waves. I'm guessing then it has something to do with the moisture content of the paper and no amount of weight is going to get rid of the waviness? The prints were flattened under weight as soon as I got them and have been stored flat ever since. I'm flattening the prints for a few more days under heavy weight as a last ditch effort, but I doubt it will work. Guess I'm just looking for suggestions or feedback? Admittedly PM's work speaks for itself, but you know... sending these off makes me nervous. :hanging: Also, it's tough to swallow $75 for flattening some ripples when I see what they did to Sasquatch's PJ print for the same price, but I suppose it's all the same process. Maybe I should put some pinholes and creases in the prints before I send 'em off just to get more bang for my buck. :lol:
mliddell
Art Expert

Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:24 pm

Great stuff here.
thisisjosh
Art Expert

Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:12 pm

thisisjosh wrote:Sending off a print tomorrow for some minor work on a creased and split corner for a majorly loved print. Fingers crossed that PMmagic happens on it :clap:
Success :)

But because it was only a local area procedure, it could not be restored to %100. Still, it certainly looks a lot better, and instead of being a very weak and creased corner, it now is a rock solid slightly indented corner 8)
camaroz06
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:10 pm

For those that have had work done to a print, did you guys get an estimate prior to sending your prints? Did you just e-mail with pictures? I have a edge messed up 20,000 Leagues and slightly creased Moss SW set that need some fixing.
sschmotz
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:14 pm

camaroz06 wrote:For those that have had work done to a print, did you guys get an estimate prior to sending your prints? Did you just e-mail with pictures? I have a edge messed up 20,000 Leagues and slightly creased Moss SW set that need some fixing.
I had to mail my print to them to evaluate it. It was a thin stock paper gigposter with some light creases. After looking at it they gave me an estimate (very reasonable). You can decide what you want to do after they give you an estimate.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:18 pm

Just found that my cat puked on the edge of my flattening pile which was sitting on top of my flat file. Thought I was going to dodge a bullet, but then found that he got my Horkey Andrew Bird variant on the top left corner. Poster mountain may be getting a new customer (and I may send them my cat as well)...
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump
TopHatZombies
Art Expert

Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:43 pm

Stopped by Poster Mountain the other day to pick up a roommate's print and I gotta say John is amazing. Super nice guy with amazing skills! He took us around the shop and showed us what he was working on and what he had in his personal collection. Hoping to work with him in the future!
Image ImageImage
sschmotz
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:16 pm

I recently had a good experience with Poster Mountain so I figured I share it. I purchased a gigposter that I knew was on thin paper, but when I got it I realized it was even thinner that I thought, almost delicate. It had some minor, and I mean minor handling on the top edge and aslight horizontal bend about 4 in. long on the upper half, I won't say it was a crease cause it wasn't that bad. Seeing the poster was from 1970, it was in awesome shape for delicate nature of the paper it was printed on, but I wanted it to be perfect.

I contacted Poster Mountain and shipped it off. A few days later they gave me the options to restore, linen back or gel treatment, and the price. I chose the gel treatment cause I didn't want it attached to anything. After a couple weeks they said it was ready so I paid the invoice and they shipped it back in a flat package.

At my house shows up plywood package with styrofoam sandwiched between it, packaging tape on all edges.
sschmotz
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:17 pm

I cut 3 of the edges and opened it up like a book to find my poster in a nice heavy duty plastic sleeve attached to a piece of cardboard, which was taped to the styrofoam. They folded a regular piece of computer paper to create corners so it wouldn't slide around and taped the plastic sleeve to the styrofoam. This package was well put together. For the tape, they folded a piece of all the tape they used over onto itself to make it very easy to remove (very thoughful and smart).
sschmotz
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:18 pm

I carefully removed all tape, whatever they used pulled off very easy, and removed poster from plastic to sleeve to inspect. All handling and slight horizontal bend was gone, was very happy to see awesomeness. The poster is for Jimi Hendrix last concert he ever played which took place in Germany, not an easy poster to find anymore, esp. in this condition. Thank you Poster Mountain, very nice communications with them and easy to deal with. I will definately use again if I have another restoration.
xjmjx
Art Expert

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm

Very cool poster and very cool write-up! :clap:
Evolution
Art Connoisseur

Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:07 pm

So Poster Mountain advised against the gelatin resizing on my wavy Moss SW prints. Apparently because of the high concentration of ink in the center and white space all around there's potential for the print to respond to the process in a less than ideal manner. John offered to proceed anyway if I insisted, but I'd be an idiot to insist. :lol: So if anybody out there has a really beat up Moss SW print (tears, heavy creases, etc...) please send it into PM for experimentation ASAP. :wink: Thanks!
Halcyon
Art Enthusiast

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:21 pm

Great post, sschmotz. That return packaging photo is just legendary. Poster Mountain never fails to leave me knocked-out with their thoughtfulness and attention to detail.
Coming from the movie poster hobby myself, John is long considered to be 'the very best'. I guess when the Academy of Motion Pictures calls has you restore their paper you know you're doing something right. :notworthy:

What makes him standout from all the others in my experience with John restoring my vintage movie posters (50's & 60s) is that he takes no short-cuts and he genuinely cares. He cares about long term results and prioritizes the paper's long term health ahead of the quick and toxic "fixes" some other restorers use. There are many things harsh chemicals can do to paper to make a restorer's job easier and have a poster sparkle for the short-term -- but at the cost of the paper's long term integrity. So it inspires me to see someone as Poster Mountian, as John, always taking the time and being, as sschmotz said the keyword, thoughtful enough to do a job right. Thank for the pics, sschmotz.
time
Art Expert

Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:20 am

Clearly PM has a great reputation here and elsewhere and from all the posts I can see it is well deserved. I'm trying to decide on the best place to fix some aging, slight tears from folds, flattening and linen backing an original 3 sheet (signed by cast). I had been referred to Sue at Hollywood Poster Frame and she uses Sylvia of Precision Restoration for the restoration and linen backing. Anyone have any experience with them? If I should post this in a different forum just let me know and I'll delete and move it. Thanks!
Last edited by time on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.