Damien Hirst "rooster and Bull" at Tramshed

General art-related discussion.
mazdog
Art Expert

Sat May 26, 2012 11:34 am

I think the animals are 'treated' somehow before going in the tanks....even with formaldehyde I think there would be lot of deterioration, also probably some kinds of support structure added internally.

I don't care for the 'art' much but I am very curious about the process.
applehead
Art Expert

Sat May 26, 2012 11:42 am

Ive been aware of this guy since Ive read about all the pending lawsuits he has against him, so I did some research. I work in the internal design dept of a large worldwide architecture firm. I order all the framing materials, and frame a lot of great looking prints and occasionally original works. We mostly design new corp HQ's for companies, as well as some great skyscrapers (mostly all in Dubai, Shanghai, Beijing, and Hong Kong for the past 3-4 years). I checked out his work and just have to wonder, how is this artist good or great, and how in the world does his work sell for so much money? Personally his work disgusts me and I'll refrain from saying anything really really negative, well maybe not. I'd love to rooster slap this guy/artist. After just listening to some interviews, this guy/artist is an absolute douche-dong. I hope he loses all of these lawsuits against him and has to pay milllions out to lawyers and the people suing him. Ive never wanted to rooster slap a man before, but this guy is worthy of my rooster being spapped against face, repeatedly. Yep, I said it. Maybe not a good 2nd post, and I will contribute in much more positive ways in the future, but those vids just brought this out in me. How is this guy a famous artist? What are people thinking? Or am I that off and have no good art taste? Art and design runs in my family and I just really dont get this guy. I hope he gets hit in the pocket ultra hard. I guess he's part of the 1%, well at least all of his art owners are for sure. Ok, venting done. Thx for reading.
ottomatik71
Art Expert

Sat May 26, 2012 11:57 am

Uh- DH having to shell out millions in lawsuits isn't going to hurt his bank account.
He owns an entire block in London.
He is building a museum on said block that will house his private collection.
jagiello
Art Connoisseur

Sat May 26, 2012 12:15 pm

ottomatik71 wrote:Ugh..... :roll:
The distaste I have for DH is abundant!
did your myan girlfriend miss her myan period ?
yesterday
Art Expert

Sat May 26, 2012 12:19 pm

dat cow is fake. Imposter cow
Image Image
byc101
Art Expert

Sat May 26, 2012 12:48 pm

“I can’t wait to get into a position of making really bad art and get away with it.”

Damien Hirst

He's just living the dream.
gorkie
Art Freak

Sat May 26, 2012 7:38 pm

Have to say that even though I started this thread and I find it interesting to see some of the things he does I think Hirst is one of THE most overrated artists that I have ever encountered. I have never had the desire to own a single thing of his other than his butterfly and syringes works which I have to say I think are pretty stellar.

http://www.phillipsdepury.com/auctions/ ... etail.aspx
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram
kashi
Art Enthusiast

Sun May 27, 2012 8:00 am

how wonderfully f'king cosmopolitan we are, to be eating ridiculously priced burgers(?) under ridiculously priced art ... in a f'king Tram shed. I wave my arse at it ALL

(just realised that having laughed at the stupid 'drymounting' thing ... it happens auto-bloody-matically if you write f'ing in full)
crosshair
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 28, 2012 3:15 pm

kashi
Art Enthusiast

Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:57 pm

just one more time if you please ...

ps spent a nice evening with one of his spot painters once. I loved that when she danced , she really DANCED!
Wawaad
Art Expert

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:05 pm

gorkie wrote:Pretty wild. How does he get the animals to look completely alert and upright like that? At first I thought maybe they are taxidermied, but then that would defeat the purpose of needing the formaldehyde. Anyone? ...

http://www.damienhirst.com/news/2012/hix
damien-hirst-tramshed-1.jpg
I saw that today on the app ''Fancy'' and I just don't get what is fancy about it
all I will be thinking about while eating there is, drymount this thing is gonna blow up in second now and I am gonna get covered in formaldehyde cow soup eeeghhhhhhhh
Have No Fear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!The Nation is Here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gorkie
Art Freak

Tue May 20, 2014 8:53 pm

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram
whl10
Art Expert

Tue May 20, 2014 9:03 pm

s_k_y wrote:Awesome.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:23 pm

http://www.iflscience.com/chemistry/che ... dehyde-gas
Chemists Say Damien Hirst Artworks Are Leaking Formaldehyde Gas

Hirst's response:

Regarding the current stories in the press concerning the exhibition of Damien Hirst's formaldehyde works at Tate Modern in 2012, Science Ltd. states:

“We do regular testing and our experts tell us that at the levels reported by this journal, your eyes would be streaming and you would be in serious physical discomfort. No such complaints were made to us during the show – or at any other shows or sites featuring the formaldehyde works. We don’t believe any risk was posed to the public."

A Tate Modern spokesman added: “Tate always puts the safety of its staff and visitors first, and we take all the necessary precautions when installing and displaying our exhibitions. These works contained a very dilute formaldehyde solution that was contained within sealed tanks.”
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral