Place for UK users to gather/trade/chat!

Regional Trading for International users and other types of group sales.
New threads require Moderator approval.
Forum rules
This area is for regional trading threads for international users and other types of group sales.

Before starting a thread in this area please send a message to the Global Moderators group with details and await approval.
redlotus
Art Enthusiast

Sun May 06, 2012 8:39 am

Hi guys,

I've had a search and looked through some old posts and thought this would be the best place to ask a couple of questions to some of you veteran UK collectors! I've got a couple of nice fairy prints (mostly 18 x 24 and a few 12 x 12) that I want to get framed but am not really sure the best way to approach it (I've been buying prints for a while but have only now had the space to actually get them out of my folder and put them up in my new flat..)

I'm based in Cardiff and wondered if anyone would happen to know any decent framing places nearby? I've had a look online and asked around and there's one I've contacted but am waiting for them to get back to me/go in and chat. But I'm not 100% sure what are the important questions to ask before I trust them with my prints (I know to never to get them dry mounted and ensure everything is acid free, but I'm not sure about spacers, the best type of glass etc)

The other thing I had considered was buying a custom frame online and putting the print in myself, is this a bad way to do it? Are there any reputable framers with decent options you'd recommend online?

I apologise for how basic this probably is but would really appreciate it if anyone could give me some tips.
Jah
Art Expert

Sun May 06, 2012 8:57 am

Hi redlotus, welcome, it's been said many times before on here but Brampton framing is a top notch place to use, based in Derbyshire, so not local but I'm in London and I had no problems, Just get in touch with Ashton, he will do mock ups for you, and offer help and advice and packaging is bombproof.
Hope that helps
T.H.C 5
redlotus
Art Enthusiast

Sun May 06, 2012 9:08 am

Hi Jah, thanks for the quick answer, that's brilliant. I've seen so many names and sites it's great to have one with good feedback, I'll get in touch with them now. Thanks again!
edg1218
Art Connoisseur

Sun May 06, 2012 9:17 am

Hi everyone I'm headed to London on Saturday for 10 days to visit family and was hoping to get some recommendations on any art galleries, upcoming openings, that might be worth checking out while I'm there. If anything comes to mind, please share.

Cheers.
pking1601
Art Connoisseur

Sun May 06, 2012 9:36 am

The flood gallery in Greenwich market. It can be quite expensive on some prints but is worth a visit
jamesmassey1988
Art Expert

Sun May 06, 2012 11:04 am

adamrworsell wrote:http://www.mpag.co.uk/ ?????
They offer restoration similar to Poster Mountain, it seems. Wonder how much there framing costs. Just found a local framer that quoted £66 for a 24x36 with a double mount and UV glass, all acid free or £155 with museum glass. Best value i've found.
TWTTR - @masseyjh
INSTGRM - @jimmassey
:ziggi:
jonkino
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 07, 2012 9:44 am

jamesmassey1988 wrote:
adamrworsell wrote:http://www.mpag.co.uk/ ?????
They offer restoration similar to Poster Mountain, it seems. Wonder how much there framing costs. Just found a local framer that quoted £66 for a 24x36 with a double mount and UV glass, all acid free or £155 with museum glass. Best value i've found.
Sounds interesting. Details of framer please and if you have it done, please post up here pic. Good price that.
fotbh
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 07, 2012 9:52 am

jonkino wrote:Sounds interesting. Details of framer please and if you have it done, please post up here pic. Good price that.
jamesmassey1988
Art Expert

Mon May 07, 2012 10:01 am

They're called Island pictures. A member here (Skeeez) just got a D*Face framed there, it looks fantastic. I'll see if I can get him to post a pic/details. I can't remember what it cost him exactly.

I will be dropping my Zelda reg there at the end of the month for the full museum treatment. Trying to see if I can get Olly to sign it first, but having no luck whatsoever...

Not sure how far away you guys all are, but here's the framers address/phone number -

183 Eastney Road
Southsea
Hampshire
PO4 8EA
02392 839958
TWTTR - @masseyjh
INSTGRM - @jimmassey
:ziggi:
Lomier66
Art Expert

Mon May 07, 2012 11:18 am

Finally got round to getting overhauled design blog on the go, if anyone fancies checking out the wares! :D http://lomyerart.blogspot.co.uk/
HAND DRAWN 1/1 OG's COMING SOON http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/
SKEEEZ
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 07, 2012 11:36 am

jamesmassey1988 wrote:They're called Island pictures. A member here (Skeeez) just got a D*Face framed there, it looks fantastic. I'll see if I can get him to post a pic/details. I can't remember what it cost him exactly.

I will be dropping my Zelda reg there at the end of the month for the full museum treatment. Trying to see if I can get Olly to sign it first, but having no luck whatsoever...

Not sure how far away you guys all are, but here's the framers address/phone number -

183 Eastney Road
Southsea
Hampshire
PO4 8EA
02392 839958
Service from Island Pictures was second to none. Really happy with how this came out..

DaleCooper
Art Expert

Mon May 07, 2012 11:37 am

Anybody got any experience with restoration from there?
SKEEEZ
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 07, 2012 12:58 pm

They don't do restoration as far as I know.
jonkino
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 07, 2012 1:06 pm

SKEEEZ wrote:
jamesmassey1988 wrote:They're called Island pictures. A member here (Skeeez) just got a D*Face framed there, it looks fantastic. I'll see if I can get him to post a pic/details. I can't remember what it cost him exactly.

183 Eastney Road
Southsea
Hampshire
PO4 8EA
02392 839958
Service from Island Pictures was second to none. Really happy with how this came out..

Nice, is this the guys from Southsea?