Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
mattg
Art Connoisseur

Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:23 pm

I second everything Billy said.

I work a full time job, I am a full time student, I have a girlfriend of 5 years and daughter, I have a number of friends, one of whom I got to spend several hours with last night. I have a life.......and a Totoro variant.

Thanks to everyone at Mondo, everyone in line and particularly Crustar for hand delivering my new baby, Tong's Iron Giant.
Cragars
Art Expert

Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:28 pm

Whoa, glad you guys scored some sweet stuff.

One Friday night lost is better than 6-700 bucks lost. It's not really about being a mega nerd, it's just knowing when to go all in for what you want. :pint:
Last edited by Cragars on Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pineapple007
Art Expert

Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:29 pm

We should have an austin meet up soon... just saying its about that time.
"Get up, you son of a bitch! 'Cause Micky loves ya."
Image Order of the Monarch #21
Image Image
zombiedictator
Art Expert

Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:34 pm

Man, talk about sour grapes and a sense of entitlement.

"How dare you people sacrifice your free time to get a poster! I have better things to do! My butler will be available to accept the hand-delivery of posters I expect Justin to be dropping off at my house any minute now"
When stressed about getting a drop, just remember: it will decay into the same organic matter as inevitably as your rotting corpse no matter how much museum glass you put in front of it.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:34 pm

Oh yeah. How could I forget? The sweet sweet rewards.

The "damage". Nothing a little spooning won't fix.
jlabbate
Art Freak

Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:36 pm

congrats on all of the S&D scores today :clap:
that drac variant is something else..huh?
quickly moving up the ladder of my favorite Ansins
daviddelgadoh
Art Expert

Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:40 pm

Hey Scott to replenish your karma-meter you should donate to EB. :pint:
KSUvet
Art Expert

Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:42 pm

celloman85 wrote:
mike123230 wrote:
celloman85 wrote:I can appreciate your passion in yor hobby guys but its a bit disheartening to people who have a life that want a shot at the goods here. On a friday night why would anyone camp out all night for one poster. You handful of super nerds basically solidify poster enthusiast to stay home and not even try at these scratch and dent sales. How can we compete with people who stay in line for 15 hours? Again, i appreciate the dedication but take it down a notch so the rest of us even have a chance.
I'm not going to respond, just ask the simple question of "do you understand the inherent folly of this request?"
meh. I guess I'm just frustrated that the only chance I had at scoring anything good was to compete with peoples extreme dedication to get a poster. I meant no disrespect.
Really :roll:? Imagine how the rest of us feel that don't live in Austin, not to mention those overseas, and have no access to the S/D file at all. We also don't have a week to meander in and purchase multiple copies of gallery-exclusive items, either. I :clap: that those guys are hard-core enough to "work" for it, and I'm glad they were able to get what they wanted.
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
zombiedictator
Art Expert

Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:52 pm

KSUvet wrote:
celloman85 wrote:
mike123230 wrote:
celloman85 wrote:I can appreciate your passion in yor hobby guys but its a bit disheartening to people who have a life that want a shot at the goods here. On a friday night why would anyone camp out all night for one poster. You handful of super nerds basically solidify poster enthusiast to stay home and not even try at these scratch and dent sales. How can we compete with people who stay in line for 15 hours? Again, i appreciate the dedication but take it down a notch so the rest of us even have a chance.
I'm not going to respond, just ask the simple question of "do you understand the inherent folly of this request?"
meh. I guess I'm just frustrated that the only chance I had at scoring anything good was to compete with peoples extreme dedication to get a poster. I meant no disrespect.
Really :roll:? Imagine how the rest of us feel that don't live in Austin, not to mention those overseas, and have no access to the S/D file at all. We also don't have a week to meander in and purchase multiple copies of gallery-exclusive items, either. I :clap: that those guys are hard-core enough to "work" for it, and I'm glad they were able to get what they wanted.
There are 3 ways to get Mondo posters:

- Build your skill: Move to Austin, dedicate yourself to drops, travel to gallery shows, etc

- Build your karma: Try to get drops you don't want to sell at cost to those who can't get it

- Build your cash: You can get any poster delivered to your front door in mint condition as long as you have the cash
When stressed about getting a drop, just remember: it will decay into the same organic matter as inevitably as your rotting corpse no matter how much museum glass you put in front of it.
blog
Art Expert

Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:02 pm

Wow, glad you guys got stuff you wanted. Also glad I went to the lone star round up instead. Would have been nice to score a monster value print, but Ialready scored must of the stuff I wanted recently.

The 20k leagues prints weren't there yet, right?
╭∩╮ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ╭∩╮
blog
Art Expert

Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:07 pm

We need a Mondo Realty franchise that specializes in houses with plenty of usable wallspace located near the gallery or adh south Lamar.
╭∩╮ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ╭∩╮
Rainbolt
Art Expert

Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:09 pm

Pineapple007 wrote:We should have an austin meet up soon... just saying its about that time.

Agreed. I need to speak to Roman when he gets back in town and we can go from there.
“Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.”
blog
Art Expert

Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:12 pm

How was Juan of the dead?
╭∩╮ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ╭∩╮
DrScott44
Art Expert

Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:16 pm

iambillyg wrote:Hello All.

All of what Scott said was correct. I'd only correct the part about us not being amused by the announcement to the line prior to going into the Gallery. While it was a bit of a bubble burster, I can definitely understand why the decision was made. It would have been very upsetting to everyone if I went in and picked up the Drac Variant, Totoro Variant, Totoro reg, Back to the Future set, etc.

That being said, Mo, Justin and (I'm blanking on your name, I'm so sorry. Sebastian? Somehow that seems right.) you were all great. Very welcoming and very open to answering a few questions and having open discussion with us. That's awesome and it made it feel like the effort was worth it.

Correct, I was able to get the Ansin Dracula Variant. Very happy. As I was the first person in line (Yes, I really got there at 8PM on Friday), I was able to go look through the file first. I took my time and looked through each drawer. Mo asked what I was looking for specifically. I informed him I wanted an Ansin Mummy or Dracula. To which he replied "There's definitely Draculas in there." Still, I took my time and looked through each drawer, and each print. To my surprise there were several Dracula regs (1 on wood), 2 Totoro regs, 2 Totoro variants, 1 Horkey True Grit on wood, etc. Some really great stuff. There was also some so-so stuff. A few Lonesome Ghosts, a couple Bridesmaids, 300, Hugo, Comin' At Ya 3-D, Last House On the Left, etc.

Knowing MattG personally, I knew he really wanted a Totoro variant. Also, Scott was ISO a Totoro variant as well. As I already have one, I skipped it and got the Dracula Variant. Extremely happy with it. The metallics are great. Simply stunning.

Now...

charter, sorry I couldn't PB for you.
piratesprayer, sorry I couldn't PB for you.
mastamonk, sorry I couldn't PB for you.
But-we-unleashed-a-lion, sorry I couldn't PB for you.
clem99, sorry I couldn't PB for you.
mgiatrakos, sorry I couldn't PB for you.
chump1039, sorry I couldn't PB for you.
Chandler53, sorry I couldn't PB for you.
gonzo33, I know it wasn't a full request, but sorry I couldn't PB for you.

If I missed you, sorry I couldn't PB for you.

celloman85, I understand your view, sort of. You seem upset because you weren't able to get a shot at some of the prints available. Sorry for being dedicated. Sorry for choosing to spend some time downtown with a couple buddies, shooting the fudge and talking about common interests all night. And lastly, sorry that my Ansin Dracula looks so good. To answer your question, if I had spent 15 hours in line and there was someone ahead of me that got to pick up all the prints, I would be a little disheartened; yes. Anyone would be. But that's the risk you take. Risks sometimes involve rewards and sometimes they don't. I understood this going into Friday night. Not really sure why it matters to you how I spend my time. Seems like sour grapes.

Again, while I was a little bummed that Mo did not allow me, Matt or Scott to purchase 2 of our ISO's, based upon our dedication, I do understand the reasoning behind the rule. Also, just a little fyi: scoring this print wasn't the highlight of the evening. Spending time with 2 friends was. Meeting and talking to Russ (rmoore), and KansasBBQ (blanking on your name, so sorry). Meeting Brian (CrustaR). It's the experience. The print was/is just the icing on the cake.

I mean absolutely no disrespect, and most people here know I'm a good guy, but I assume most of that above won't make sense to you, because you are upset that someone more dedicated than you scored a print you want. If you want something, go for it. Don't miss the drop. And if you do, accept the fact that the market is there, and will continue to be there. If you can't score on the drop, then you'll have to either trade or pay a bit more. As Omar said, "It's all in the game."

Cheers everyone.
Thanks, Billy, for taking the classy route in your response to this madness.

And lemme be clear: when I said we were "unamused" by the one-print-per rule, none of us complained or threw a fit. It was just an unexpected development that arrived at the end of a very long night, and--as I said before--the rule's both understandable and fair. I ain't mad!

And on a serious note (ok, semi-serious), here's what I think is so frustrating about that one guy's response: as collectors, we all live for the moment when--against all odds--we finally get our mitts on that one special print we've been chasing. What happened to me, Bill, and Matt this morning was kind of amazing, because all three of us experienced one of those longshot moments at the same time, and it only happened because we all worked together to pull it off. I'd never even met Bill and Matt before today, but our mutual love for a hobby some people consider flat-out ridiculous made that irrelevant. Even with two of us going after the same print, we operated as a team from beginning to end, and I definitely feel like I walked out of that gallery with two new friends in addition to one of my biggest ISO's.

And so, when I come home to share the good news with adrenaline and disbelief and triumph still coursing through my veins, the last thing I expected in response to that news was condemnation for being a dedicated team player. It's been a shitty week here at the doctor's office, and the balls-out miracle that occurred this morning was a real morale booster. I can't remember the last time I felt so thrilled about a score, and it was a bummer to have some jackass injecting negativity into what had--up until that post--felt like a flawless victory, a bonding experience, and a reminder that not all collectors are only looking out for themselves.

Bill, Matt-- I had a blast, and I can't wait for the next chance to ride out a seven-hour line with you. You both proved yourselves to be standup guys today, and getting to share that one-in-a-million score with you guys isn't something I'll soon forget.
"I say we stomp 'im. Then we tattoo 'im. Then we hang 'im...and then we kill 'im!"

"I say we let 'im go."

"NO!!!"
theperfecttree
EB Team

Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:22 pm

For those interested here's what was left when I went through the flat-file. I got there around ~11:30 and by the time I got to the front there were ~20-25 people in line behind me. Feel fortunate and lucky to have scored a regular Dracula :) . I'm sure I'm missing a lot, this is just want I can remember;

Ansin - Dracula (3)
Hanuka - Raven (1)
Hanuka - Melancholia (multiple)
Proctor - Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1)
Proctor - House by the Cemetery (1)
Horkey - True Grit on wood ($450)
Whalen... Dumbo and a few others (?)
PCC - Exorcist Variant (1)
PCC - Cabin the Woods w/ 2" cut (1)
Perillo - Bridesmaids (multiple)
Tong - Hugo (~2)
Tong - Forbidden Planet (1)