Widespread Panic Puerto Morellos 12 Wood

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:43 pm

The weird thing is that I don't literally press F5. I press the "back" key and then I again press the selection I want. I know this is the functional equivalent of press F5, but I thought my tried and true methodology kept me from this type of issue. I'm observing closely what the gurus say. Again, I don't have the option of upgrading to a newer verion of IE until/unless our IT folks approve it (and there have been reasons they haven't gone in that direction for a while). So, if CTLR F5 works, I'm good... at least it sounds that way.
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
TNspreadhead
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:27 pm

looks like the auction that ended on 2012-02-09 for 199.99 was actually an AE - thought i had seen a few on ebay from the stacks at the resort
biscocrack420
Art Expert

Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:13 pm

taken from Drowning Creeks FB page:

Drowning Creek Studio · 1,734 like this
22 minutes ago ·

Hi All,

This is the promised update on the shipping of the en la Playa prints and comments on flipping that I promised earlier. It's a bit long, but something I need to get off my chest, so hang with me.

I'm currently finishing up my prints for the "Class of 72" show in London so en la Playa prints will be slightly delayed as I get all this out the door. As you folks know, we always throw in some extra goodies for being patient.

I'm also dealing with some issues being raised by people who purchased multiple prints. I have a strict policy that if anyone orders multiples of a print, after being warned "one per person", I cancel ALL the orders they placed. That is exactly what we are wading through right now. Due to my store software I cannot physically limit the number placed in the cart or stop people from ordering multiple times. We work on an honor system and it seems some people are not very honorable these days.

Another issue, before the servers had time to cool down from the surge of orders coming through, flippers already had prints listed on ebay for $250.00. That's a no-no at Drowning Creek. I'm a VERO member of ebay and we will be banning the sale of any of my prints where I see people buying strictly to flip. I will be ending the present auctions for any of my Panic prints shortly. For the flippers who are taking advantage of people by buying and flipping, I may not be able to stop you from flipping my work, but I can, and will, make it more difficult. Once I can positively confirm you are flipping, you will be permanently banned from buying from me. I know you flippers are using multiple aliases, business names, different IP addresses, paypal accounts and email addresses. I won't be able to sort through them all, but as I discover them they will be added to the list. If these aliases violate any site's or services "terms of conditions", like Facebook or paypal, they will be reported so that these entities can take the actions needed.

Another peeve of mine is reading flippers comments stating "we made their art career, we are the reason they are selling out runs". Bullshit. When I do a run of 1000 prints and 100 are scooped up by people planning to flip them, there is another 900 that fans bought to hang on the wall or put in their collection. Those are the people who allow me to be a successful poster artist, not the leeches making money off the sweat of my back. These people make their money at the expense of my collectors and fans of the bands. When I do an Artist Edition release I could charge $100 per print, but I just can't do that to my collectors. It's not fair to make people pay overly excessive prices because of the actions of a few.

I know you flippers are reading this, so stop being delusional. You are nowhere near as important to the poster market as you think you are. You do not provide a service as you so like to tout. You are the pimple on the rock poster collecting scene's ass. You're an unnecessary pain. Most of the artists in the scene despise your lack of ethics, morals and attitudes. Sometimes, You make us not want to step up and do what we love. I equate you with the same asses who have destroyed Wall Street and the economy. You have no morals when it comes to making money, only greed. It's all about you. Selfish pricks, every last one of you.

I do art for fans and collectors not people who strictly buy prints to make money off me. I do art for honest people who want to hang a piece of art they love on the wall. You flippers could care less about the prints you are buying to flip. It's just stacks of money to you. I will do my best to shut you down any chance I get, from educating bands, promoters and venues as to how to limit their sales, open ended editions, ending auctions, to working with other artists to to document your alisases. If need be I'll be filing legal paperwork if I have justification and the situation deems it necessary. You are bottom feeding scum. You are in the same league as scalpers, another blight on the music industry.

A short story....Last year at Panic Red Rocks a merch vendor was pulling some shenanigans. He was telling people he was sold out, but he would sell them his "personal copy" that he pulled from under the table - for a tidy sum. I got text messages from fans at the venue about it. This is not going unnoticed. I worked with Panic to root this guy out. It was not Panic's merch people. Red Rocks has their own merch staff. Panic was not happy about it all. I'm sure this is happening at other venues where the bands do not handle merch themselves because I have had posters missing before they ever went on sale. Once again, Red Rocks was one of those venues. I had #1-50 of the last Trey poster I created disappear out of box that had been shipped to RR's offices. The box had been neatly resealed. The culprit put my reputation at risk with the band by making them think I had shorted the run or kept the first 50 for myself. Now you know another reason I detest these bottom feeders. Some are straight up thieves.

End of story. Now you flippers can go crawl back under that rock from which you came and talk smack about me...
-------------------

I guess now that I spewed all that venom out of my system, I would like to end all this on a more upbeat note and tell the collectors and fans that do support my, and other artists work, that we love you dearly. We deeply respect your support, for without YOU, this whole scene would not be possible. I'm sorry these damned flippers are ruining such a fun adventure for us all. Greed is a very ugly thing.

If you attended Playa and did not get a poster because of the flippers, send me an email to sales@drowningcreek.com and we will put you on the list. There will be a few available now that some orders have been canceled. I will see what I can do to hook you up. No promises, but I will try.

Take care, and thanks for hanging in there through this diatribe.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. ~ Potter Stewart

Much love,
Jeff
jojobadass
Art God

Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:17 pm

nanu nanu
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
sidewaysscott
Art God

Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:45 pm

drymount YEAH JEFF! :notworthy: :notworthy:

Die flipper scums!!!!
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
jjbehren
Flipper

Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:46 pm

tl:dr?
sidewaysscott
Art God

Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:56 pm

partpat wrote:+1 they were up there for a few minutes I was shocked. Wonder what the AP run size will be
eBay 170816818833

Did Jeff Wood refund you, flipper?
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
nowhitespace
Art Connoisseur

Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:04 pm

Great post Jeff! Its great to see you taking action like the bullshit that happened here at red rocks. I knew something wasnt right. THis often happens at MSG for sure, and probably a lot of other venues that I'm not aware of.

I will be patiently waiting for what is imo, your best print in since the red rocks WSP print. Your work is second to none and most unique while still being pretty old school. I love it! Permabands nice! Keep up the great work. And man, if you're moving from a great place like Athens, GA (I have or should I say had some friends that lived there for years). You should move to Colorado man. The weather is great, the laws are right per the people, and its a great place for music, outdoor activities, and art. I highly recommend moving to Denver (not Boulder). Please keep us informed as to where you and Judy will be moving. People are also great here and are some of the most fun and loving people I have ever met in my life. Please keep us informed as to your decision. I will help in any way possible since I'm already here. Txh brotha!!
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:20 pm

A man of unquestionable integrity, acting on his convictions. :clap: :clap: :clap:
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.
FroDawg
Art Expert

Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:29 pm

Hear Hear...thank you for standing up for artists and collectors everywhere Jeff. Happy to see you (and hopefully more and more of your peers) taking a similar approach to dumping these dregs down the drain.
"If the thunder don't getcha then the lightnin' will."
ErocAfellar
Art Expert

Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:57 pm

Follow up to rant from today:

If you see something, say something.
I would like to thank all the support I have received after my rant yesterday. To be honest, it has been very overwhelming. I knew my collectors were the best in the world and you guys keep proving it over and over.

EBAY listings from disgruntled flippers

A strange thing happens whenever an artist ticks the flippers off. They get all miffed and start selling their collection of that artist's prints. In some cases they, and a bunch of their flipper friends, start to dump a ton of their work online at very low prices to try and drive the price of the artist's body of work down. It's happened a couple of times to me in small ways, and friends of mine in much more large scale manner. I personally think it's funny and could care less. I just want people to have my art. If they can get deal. I'm all for it. The great thing is some of my older sold out pieces, that rarely come up for sale, can be scooped up at great prices.

Point in case, I checked ebay this morning and saw that there was some great deals on some of my old UM, Phish, SCI and art prints. I'm sure some are from legit people, others flippers. Anyone looking for these has a great opportunity to score some winners. Go check out what's available...

Jeff Wood prints on Ebay

You've seen me state it before on this blog and I will again. I create posters so people can document moments and memories in time. I'm not creating investment pieces for monetary reasons. This is one of the reasons I get so upset when people are buying up large quantities of prints at shows that should otherwise go to the people who were at the show, and then jacking prices to resale. They are creating a false market for their own profit by doing this. Fans at shows just want something to remember the good time with. I hate to tell you how many emails I got yesterday from people at the Panic NYE and Playa shows that went early to get prints only to see they were all sold out. Ridiculous and very sad.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Answering some questions from yesterday's rant

A couple people ask some interesting questions that I thought I should address.

Someone asked about people who can't stand in line to buy a print, but have a friend do it, or pays someone to get a poster for them. To be honest, I have no problem with this. It's a lot different for someone to pay a dozen folks to do this so they can get quantity to flip and one person just trying to score a print.

So, what about the person who gets a couple of prints to trade for other prints they want? Hey, that's what collecting is all about. Trading is a huge part of collecting and I understand that. These are not the people I'm talking about. Once again, it's the folks getting quantity, sometimes using underhanded and unethical methods, setting astronomical prices and cheating others out of the chance to get a reasonably priced print.

It's really about common sense. If you want to know my thoughts on other questions, feel free to ask. Let's discuss it.
New Releases

Over the past few weeks Judy and I have been trying to figure out how we can get our releases into more fans hands and less in the flippers. We will be implementing and experimenting on our next release. We will not stop every flipper trying to buy, but we might get a few more prints into real fans collections. That's the goal. It will be an ongoing evolving process. We are also going to start the shift to new estore software in the coming months.

Stopping the flippers buying up large quantities at shows.

There is something I have been pondering. I know many of you have seen guys scooping up 10 or more prints at a show then reselling in the lots or leaving the shows to list on ebay. I know I've encountered them at shows myself, even getting into arguments when I call them out on it. Red Rocks is notorious for this. I'm thinking it's better just to out them so people can know who they are, direct confrontation at a show may not be the best method. Maybe a better way would be to take a pic of them with their stash and post it online. Since they are in a public place, snapping a pic isn't illegal. Any lawyers out there that want to chime in on this feel free. Nobody wants to get sued here, but there has to be a middle ground to get this information out.

I think getting pics of these people that we can familiarize ourselves and the band merch vendors with would aid in curbing the hoarding at shows. If someone knows their pic may show up online with them carrying a stack of prints they may be less inclined to be so arrogantly blatant about it. Maybe even the band's merch people will take control and ban them from buying any at all. I guess we can dream. And hey, before anyone goes out and starts posting pics, let's make sure we have the legal angles covered. I don't want to see anyone getting in trouble for trying to do the honorable thing. Once again, any lawyers out there reading this, please chime in with some advice on how to approach it, or if it's a horrible idea, tell us to drop the idea all together.. My thinking is that cockroaches tend to scatter when the lights come on. Maybe it's time we flipped the switch.

Another thing, if you see something nefarious going down at a show, someone hoarding, gaming the system etc. point it out to the merch people, and after the show write the artist and band's management. Let them know what you have witnessed. It's your duty to keep them informed of people abusing their fans. Also, let them know how much you appreciate the fact that the bands are commissioning art for their tours and gigs. They really do listen and value your input.

Wrapping it up

I'm sure I've pissed a few flippers off in the past couple days. Glad to know you guys have my back. Understand, I got yours. This is not about money to me. It's about doing the right thing. Stealing or tarnishing people's memories is something I take seriously. Making someone pay ridiculous amounts of money for a print of a show they were at because some greedy chumps bought up the prints is tantamount to stealing in my book. I think it's something that needs to be openly discussed at length by fans and artists interacting with each other. As a community, we may not be able to stop this nonsense, but I think if we work together we can minimize the effect it's having. Let me know your thoughts on this. It's important we start these discussions and keep them going.

Once again, thank you all for your support. Have a great weekend. Go see a show! And most all, thanks for keeping up the support for the artists drawing the face on the music, and the bands who commission their work.
HappaHaoli wrote:That is freaking Eroctic!
lazk
Art Expert

Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:27 pm

I have never owned or purchased a Jeff Wood poster in my life. With that being said, what about all these small online stores that sell his posters? Is he OK with that? I have no idea.

If Jeff wants to go down this road then so be it, but if someone has the poster in-hand and doesn't like it or wants to sell or trade it, it is none of his business IMO.

He might not like what he uncovers....
T.K.C.
jjbehren
Flipper

Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:38 pm

lazk wrote:I have never owned or purchased a Jeff Wood poster in my life. With that being said, what about all these small online stores that sell his posters? Is he OK with that? I have no idea.

If Jeff wants to go down this road then so be it, but if someone has the poster in-hand and doesn't like it or wants to sell or trade it, it is none of his business IMO.

He might not like what he uncovers....
It sounds like it's the guys buying 10, 15, 20 of his posters at the venue that Jeff's really concerned with. IDK about the online stores. And I think that anyone buying the Artist Editions of Jeff's stuff would be hard pressed to pick up more than 2 or 3, unless you have a bunch of people helping you. And then you'd have to split the profits, right?

Really, besides the obvious guys buying dozens of posters and the evil merch guys, I think this is being blown a bit out of proportion. I guess maybe I'm biased because I've been known to sell a poster or two in my day. I respect Jeff's passion, but I also think he's letting the few extreme examples of greed (merch guy and guy who opened the box, took 50 posters, and then resealed the box, etc.) overshadow everything. Don't get me wrong. Those things would really piss me off too. But I'd like to think those examples are a very rare occurence in the big scheme of things.
jojobadass
Art God

Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:07 pm

Frankly speaking, the only jeff wood prints that are flippible are phish and WSP posters........just stop taking gigs from those two bands and there wouldn't be an issue at all.
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
Rick_a_c
Art Expert

Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:59 pm

Jeff is in some ways bonded to WSP and ABB as a result of doing many many posrters for them, not to say anything about these bands being popular. So, although I think you have a point, Sean, I think it would leave a void for lots of WSP and ABB fans if Jeff was totally absent from their show posters in the future. Jeff did emphasize "the fans" in his rants. Your suggestion would result in many fans from appreciating his work. Besides, I'd bet Jeff likes these two bands a lot and is part of his passion. Just my 2 cents worth.