These Sunsets Are To Die For 07 Fairey

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
ryan_1969

Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:43 pm

how does that work? do they give you anything in writing when you lend a piece?
djpubbs
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:44 pm

electrachrome wrote:I have had this Ojibway/Ashnisabae print by Roy Thomas on loan to a museum for the past several months.
awesome print!

as an enrolled member i can tell you this...

"ojibwe," or "anishinabe" is the spelling we use...although the native american languages were never written, so, really, to each his own in re: spelling...both mean the same thing (the people) as does "chippewa." french fur-traders couldn't pronounce "ojibwe" properly and it morphed into "o-chippewa" or "chippewa."

just thought i'd add my $0.02!

again, this is a sweet print!
electrachrome
Site Admin

Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:57 pm

ryan_1969 wrote:how does that work? do they give you anything in writing when you lend a piece?
there is a lot of paperwork for the condition reports & insurance. the art is covered under their insurance rider while in their care.
ricosg11
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:59 pm

said it before and ill say it again. Nothing good has come from the obey camp since the ali/arab woman release. Enjoy all your filler prints.
Gigantico
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:12 pm

ricosg11 wrote:said it before and ill say it again. Nothing good has come from the obey camp since the ali/arab woman release. Enjoy all your filler prints.
Yep Obey sucks, yadda yadda yadda. I hear ya. :roll:
ricosg11
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:41 pm

definately doesnt suck. That LeVine show was amazing. Those works are just amazing in person. Its just the weekly screenprints have been a bit disappointing for the last couple months.
kj1nyr
Art Expert

Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:24 pm

Gigantico wrote:
kyle wrote:
Gigantico wrote:Native American paintings! :lol:
glad you got a kick out of it, i know i did when i reread it, but are you mocking the Native American race ?

if so, not cool.

everyone knows on this board we only make fun of phish & pearl jam.
Na, that was just a super-cheesy line. I live in Phoenix and that generic Native American crap is everywhere you look, with the friggin pinks and teals. Maybe provide an artist you are referring to and I'll stop imagining a pink Kokopeli dancing on top a saguaro. Now exuse me, I gotta go polish my cyrstals.
I too live in Phoenix, and what you're describing is the mass produced crap fed to the tourists. Have you been to the Heard Museum? It's been a while for me but they used to have some beautiful stuff. And if you ever get to take a drive up to the Hopi nation, 1st Mesa in particular (if memory serves) you'll see some amazing art.

As to Obey, I have the Sunsets print. It's the last one I bought from OG cause everything after seemed kind of repetitive (JMO). My Visa is very happy about that though.

Peace,
KJ
Gigantico
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:31 pm

kj1nyr wrote:
Gigantico wrote:
kyle wrote:
Gigantico wrote:Native American paintings! :lol:
glad you got a kick out of it, i know i did when i reread it, but are you mocking the Native American race ?

if so, not cool.

everyone knows on this board we only make fun of phish & pearl jam.
Na, that was just a super-cheesy line. I live in Phoenix and that generic Native American crap is everywhere you look, with the friggin pinks and teals. Maybe provide an artist you are referring to and I'll stop imagining a pink Kokopeli dancing on top a saguaro. Now exuse me, I gotta go polish my cyrstals.
I too live in Phoenix, and what you're describing is the mass produced crap fed to the tourists. Have you been to the Heard Museum? It's been a while for me but they used to have some beautiful stuff. And if you ever get to take a drive up to the Hopi nation, 1st Mesa in particular (if memory serves) you'll see some amazing art.

As to Obey, I have the Sunsets print. It's the last one I bought from OG cause everything after seemed kind of repetitive (JMO). My Visa is very happy about that though.

Peace,
KJ
Right on, glad to see another poster nut here in the valley. The line that I was referring to was:

"the native american paintings. incredible. the spirit they capture & convey."

This didn't rub me right way because I view Native American art as very subjective, meaning that it is deeply symbolic and its meaning is mostly, if not fully, meant to portray oral histories or symbols of the particular people.

"The spirit they capture & convey" is an odd statement to me because those same oral histories, unless they are known to the viewer, cannot be understood in the context of simply looking at a painting.

I disagree with you about the Native American art scene in Arizona. It is not just, "mass produced crap fed to the tourists." It is a genre that developers and designers use to symbolize living here. The cultural context of this type of art is lost when somone puts it up as another pretty picture or "Southwestern" design.

When looking at art for my home, I want to be able to connect with the artist and the theme of the subject matter. It's fun to put up something that maybe you just like, but it isn't fair to the artist to not recognize what the art means. Obey Giant and its prolific portfolio(some not all) speaks to me and the feelings I have regarding America and it's place in the world.

The Heard, as well as many places here and around the country have many different types of Native American art. To give such a broad statement (quoted above) lumps together so much art and takes away the true meaning of each artist's purpose(Think, "Noble Savage").

I don't mean to call Kyle out but I just wanted to fully express my opinion, as silly as it may be.

-H
ryan_1969

Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:52 pm

who want's to sell me this poster?
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:59 am

I told you this fudge was hot.
jjbehren
Flipper

Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:22 am

I wonder why the last one that sold on ebay went for $266 but the one before that went for $100 less. Smaller pictures in the cheaper one. Did that make that much of a difference?
macc5
EB Team

Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:24 am

jjbehren wrote:I wonder why the last one that sold on ebay went for $266 but the one before that went for $100 less. Smaller pictures in the cheaper one. Did that make that much of a difference?
Obey print prices seem to do that all the time on many prints...
ryan_1969

Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:00 pm

i'll pay 200. i can wait for the next one on egay.
Kdh12
Art Freak

Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:21 pm

fudge I can not believe the money this one has been getting lately........
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:24 pm

ryan_1969 wrote:i'll pay 200. i can wait for the next one on egay.
:lol: