Mark Englert?

General art-related discussion.
iampierrot
Art Connoisseur

Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:53 pm

Fantastic job! I don't have the Hoth or Fortress posters but this one I'll definitely buy!
Any idea about costs?
markenglert
Art Expert

Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:09 pm

iampierrot wrote:Fantastic job! I don't have the Hoth or Fortress posters but this one I'll definitely buy!
Any idea about costs?
i think it works well without the others... especially the GID.

As for costs, I just got an initial qoute from the printer, just based on number of screens and inks and the standard setup fee, the per print fee, etc. They'll need to adjust it based on the paper stock I choose and I'm sure it'll change again once they actually download the file and have a look. Based on the quote and the at least 40-50 or so people here who seem interested, I'll probably go with around $40 reg and $70 variant.

Once I have a printed proof in hand and have verified that it is awesome enough to sell, I'll take some pics, post them and open the store the soonest Friday after that... store will remain open for 31 hours and I'll give the final tally to the print shop and start shipping them out asap.

I PM'd IronJaiden to see if he could help estimate shipping. I want to keep that cost as low as possible and will make every effort to ship just about anywhere. if you're out of the country, I'll work with you to arrive at a cost we can both be happy with. I HATE going to buy something and then getting a crazy shipping cost. I went to a website buy a shirt on sale for $5 the other night and balked because shipping was $25 :x
keefdotorg
Art Expert

Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:11 pm

Jesusmalverde wrote:
keefdotorg wrote:
blog wrote:Variants go to the first 31 people to send you a blood sample to prove they are human!
I'm drawing a sample right now.
Keep focused on those "mystery" tubes Keef.
Well, here's the thing-- I was drawing blood anyway. For your mystery tube. Got some big surprises in store, thanks to my friends at the CDC. Uh, Mark, you may want to use the pair of courtesy latex gloves I'm including with my blood sample when you crack it open and apply the hot wire.

In other news, I'm surprised and delighted by how quickly this whole thing is coming together. Well done, mr. Englert.
markenglert
Art Expert

Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:20 pm

I've colored 44 pages of comics in 2 days... this was not quite as bad as that.

I'm already doodling some ideas for another one, but I gotta get some "real" work done and finish up this 80s cartoon GI Joe DVD cover.

I'm also interested in seeing how the whole process outside of the computer goes... that could be a deciding factor in whether or not I ever do another one of these :hanging:

Just know I will bust my balls to make the buying experience as seamless as possible to you all.
Last edited by markenglert on Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
RelaxingDragon
Art Expert

Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:29 pm

Come home from a long night of class and find one kick-ass GID waiting. Very slick, and it sounds like it'll be my kind of drop too: I'll got for the variant, and when I inevitably fail that I'll still be able to get a regular, no problem.
Rorschach
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:32 am

finneganm wrote:How about a picture of some cavities?
I agree with the guy who played Vaughn on Community, that way of proving whether or not you are a Thing was bullshit. Why should I be punished for taking care of my teeth?

Also, thank you Mark for making the regular edition timed. I already know where I want to hang this on my wall and it is nice to be confident in getting a piece I want. Hope to see more from you in the future.
selassielion
Art Expert

Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:44 am

The GID variant looks amazing, spot-on capture for the overall feel of this movie...Bravo :clap:

Looking forward to picking this up!
Kdh12 wrote:It is not rockets science
afrosteeziac
Art Expert

Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:28 am

:drool: that is all I can say. Such a great job with the GID, it doesn't seem cheesy or tacked on. It's a lot more effective when it tells more about the story, and thats whats happening here. :notworthy:
karza
Art Expert

Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:59 am

netluffyg wrote:If you could do a Shining poster, I'd appreciate it so much.
Make a series of poster about isolation.

THIS

a snow covered maze, the boy running from his crazy dad, the hotel full of ghosts
:drool:
fanboy
Art Expert

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:13 am

this is beyond awesome! really hoping i can score the variant.
ironjaiden wrote:I'm a whore so I'll draw whatever you want for a warm meal and a dirty hand job. Every artist is different.
harrykeogh
Art Expert

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:21 am

karza wrote:a snow covered maze, the boy running from his crazy dad, the hotel full of ghosts
:drool:
I think the hotel in front of the mountains would work better at showing isolation.

I also agree with everyone else about how you pulled of the GID. When GID was first mentioned, I thought it would be corny. You nailed it in spades.
RelaxingDragon
Art Expert

Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:13 pm

Rorschach wrote:
finneganm wrote:How about a picture of some cavities?
I agree with the guy who played Vaughn on Community, that way of proving whether or not you are a Thing was bullshit. Why should I be punished for taking care of my teeth?
Doesn't make a whole lotta sense. I guess I can buy the Thing not being able to imitate inorganic material (though does that mean there's no iron in its blood? I think they've got little things that can check the iron level, they bust them out when you donate blood), but why couldn't it just pause after the fact, pick up any stuff that fell out, shove it into place, and form around it?
markenglert
Art Expert

Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:41 pm

Still waiting on response from printer... did some more rough layouts for future prints I might do, figured there's no harm in keeping up the sharing.

finneganm
Art Freak

Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:43 pm

Yeah, I want that too.
That's what she said
netluffyg
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:44 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
adamsmasher wrote: There is not enough wall space for ambivalence.