Official James White / Signalnoise thread

General art-related discussion.
Signalnoise
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:12 pm

As per the reliable and on-point advice I received through the forum, here is the official Signalnoise thread.

I post a lot of images and general art jackassery over on my Twitter and website, but I'd like a spot here on EBeans to throw around some previews and in-progress shots of posters and art as I go.

Start things off with the FIRST BLOOD poster. The colours shifted a bit over the last week.

And a quick snapshot of the regular and variant version. The variant is still in "candidate" phase, that will be finalized once I move into printing and check out the options.

Finals won't be as dark as that photo. Camera messed them up a bit.
Last edited by Signalnoise on Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James White • Artist and Designer
Signalnoise Studio
WebTwitterInstagram
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:14 pm

Is this where I come to bitch about unannounced edition size changes and shipping damage? I keed I keed.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Signalnoise
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:17 pm

Codeblue wrote:Is this where I come to bitch about unannounced edition size changes and shipping damage? I keed I keed.
Haha! Well played, sir.
Signalnoise Studio
WebTwitterInstagram
ironjaiden
Art Expert

Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:18 pm

Signalnoise wrote:Finals won't be as dark as that photo. Camera messed them up a bit.
[cmd + shift + 4] kook. :P

Now let's see this gorgeous thing get reworked into a screen print!

Signalnoise
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:58 pm

ironjaiden wrote:cmd + shift + 4] kook. :P

Hmm, that ain't a bad idea Jay.
Signalnoise Studio
WebTwitterInstagram
Celsius
Flipper

Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:19 am

I was just listening to Monday's episode of the Smodco Smorning show when Kevin Smith mentioned Signalnoise did the poster for the upcoming Plus One Live in London. Crazy.

Is this a litho though? Edition size?
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

https://plushart.club
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:41 am

I want that First Blood variant :drool:
Signalnoise
Art Connoisseur

Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:41 am

Celsius wrote:I was just listening to Monday's episode of the Smodco Smorning show when Kevin Smith mentioned Signalnoise did the poster for the upcoming Plus One Live in London. Crazy.

Yeah, that was me. I've been working with Kevin on a few things over the last 3 months, one of which is his Ireland/UK tour poster which I'll be posting on Monday. Got a chance to hang out with him and Scott Mosier when they were in town a couple of weeks ago too. Wicked guys, real nice.

Here's the poster I created for his GET OLD Canadian tour:

Even got one signed by Kevin and Jason Mewes. I love that Mewes spelled it "buisness".

There isn't really an edition size on these. Kevin just wanted a little tour poster that he could print off at various print shops to sell at the shows. Yeah, they're lithos, typically printed at 11x17 at the shows but I have a few here that I printed at 18x24. It's the thinner poster stock, nothing fancy, but if anyone is interested in buying a copy I'm sure I could hook you up.
Signalnoise Studio
WebTwitterInstagram
Deadareus
Art Expert

Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:46 am

Looking forward to the First Blood release... and the next... and the next etc.

:pint:
kryptonite
Art Expert

Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:51 am

Kevin Smith posters are awesome. Same with his new comic book show.
Celsius
Flipper

Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:00 am

Signalnoise wrote:
Celsius wrote:I was just listening to Monday's episode of the Smodco Smorning show when Kevin Smith mentioned Signalnoise did the poster for the upcoming Plus One Live in London. Crazy.

Yeah, that was me. I've been working with Kevin on a few things over the last 3 months, one of which is his Ireland/UK tour poster which I'll be posting on Monday. Got a chance to hang out with him and Scott Mosier when they were in town a couple of weeks ago too. Wicked guys, real nice.

Here's the poster I created for his GET OLD Canadian tour:

Even got one signed by Kevin and Jason Mewes. I love that Mewes spelled it "buisness".

There isn't really an edition size on these. Kevin just wanted a little tour poster that he could print off at various print shops to sell at the shows. Yeah, they're lithos, typically printed at 11x17 at the shows but I have a few here that I printed at 18x24. It's the thinner poster stock, nothing fancy, but if anyone is interested in buying a copy I'm sure I could hook you up.
Man that's cool how you met Kev and Scott!

So you'll be doing more? I think they're sweet, though would prefer screenprints. Will any of them feature Bry,Walt, & Q of Tell 'em Steve-Dave? That's my favorite podcast and I won't be able to resist a purchase -- even if it's a litho.
kryptonite wrote:Kevin Smith posters are awesome. Same with his new comic book show.
This. Tell 'em Steve-Dave domination step two! Impractical Jokers is hilarious as well.
"Beautiful white wings for you. For the world? Death and destruction." - Spoiler Character (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

https://plushart.club
jb518
Art Connoisseur

Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:04 am

ironjaiden wrote:
Signalnoise wrote:Finals won't be as dark as that photo. Camera messed them up a bit.
[cmd + shift + 4] kook. :P

Better yet, how about a poster for Wizard of Oz using the same radiating rainbow effect. I love your use of color. I think that's one reason you "First Blood" print doesn't grab me as much as some of your others. I remember you posted an in progress pic of First Blood on twitter with the background color more orange, like at sunset. That was my favorite thus far.
Signalnoise
Art Connoisseur

Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:21 am

Celsius wrote:Man that's cool how you met Kev and Scott!

So you'll be doing more? I think they're sweet, though would prefer screenprints. Will any of them feature Bry,Walt, & Q of Tell 'em Steve-Dave? That's my favorite podcast and I won't be able to resist a purchase -- even if it's a litho.
Thanks man! These were done fairly quickly to meet the deadline of the live shows, but I would love to do a cool screenprint poster for him at some point, when time allows. I'd like to break the standard layout of these, do something more dynamic. Kevin is a super easy guy to work with, really enjoys fun imagery.

Designing Kevin's other friends like Walt, Scott and them would be awesome. Hope I can do that at some point.

Here is the one I did for the current UK/Ireland tour.

Signalnoise Studio
WebTwitterInstagram
jamesmassey1988
Art Expert

Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:56 am

Signalnoise wrote:
ironjaiden wrote:cmd + shift + 4] kook. :P

Hmm, that ain't a bad idea Jay.
Yes.
TWTTR - @masseyjh
INSTGRM - @jimmassey
:ziggi:
Pineapple007
Art Expert

Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:42 pm

Man, that RAMBO is awesome! I hope to see a slew or Sly flicks up soon to go with Moss' Rocky. Stuff that was bad as then and now, Cobra, Judge Dread, Rocky III, and the best role of his life! How could anyone leave out Rhinestone Cowboy? ISO
"Get up, you son of a bitch! 'Cause Micky loves ya."
Image Order of the Monarch #21
Image Image