Mondotees/Alamo Poster News & Rumors thread

General art-related discussion.
lastchild11
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:50 pm

Was hoping for a cool Dracula print. Didn't care for the other. Anyone want to be my poster buddy for a blue variant?
netluffyg
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:58 pm

harrykeogh wrote:With Mondo allowing Ansin to do a Dracula print, do you think they will allow him to do a Frankenstein as well? Love my Struzan, but I think it would be great to have a set of the primary Universal Monsters from Ansin, including the Creature from the Black Lagoon.
Don't forget the Invisible Man (god, I like Tong, but his sketch art is not that strong).
adamsmasher wrote: There is not enough wall space for ambivalence.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:05 pm

daviddelgadoh wrote:3 versions, reasonable edition size... shouldn't be too hard to get.
I think that, as always, his illustration is beautiful... but it's something about the way the negative space is used that doesn't work for me. I think the coffin version looks much, much better.
couldnt agree more. there is too much negative space
harrykeogh
Art Expert

Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:08 pm

netluffyg wrote:
harrykeogh wrote:With Mondo allowing Ansin to do a Dracula print, do you think they will allow him to do a Frankenstein as well? Love my Struzan, but I think it would be great to have a set of the primary Universal Monsters from Ansin, including the Creature from the Black Lagoon.
Don't forget the Invisible Man (god, I like Tong, but his sketch art is not that strong).
You don't like Tong's Invisible Man? I really like it. I would like Ansin to do one too though. I would like a complete set from Ansin.
black7towr
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:09 pm

daviddelgadoh wrote:3 versions, reasonable edition size... shouldn't be too hard to get.
I'm pretty sure these words have been spoken before. If i've learned anything from buying posters it's that there are never enough. I'm expecting another sellout in a matter of minutes.
emac
Art Expert

Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:09 pm

lastchild11 wrote:Was hoping for a cool Dracula print. Didn't care for the other. Anyone want to be my poster buddy for a blue variant?
There's a blue variant? :?
karza
Art Expert

Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:11 pm

grey is the new blue
fnord
Art Expert

Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:12 pm

I think that, as always, his illustration is beautiful... but it's something about the way the negative space is used that doesn't work for me. I think the coffin version looks much, much better.
Funny, I like the negative space and don't like the coffin shape.
Still debating if I want to try for one of these.
If anyone wants a poster buddy I'm offering up service in exchange for help on a Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke drop
Edit: and I'm spoken for
Last edited by fnord on Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeltaSigChi4 wrote:Don't let these nerds hold you down, playa.

E
harrykeogh
Art Expert

Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:19 pm

fnord wrote:
I agree. There is no more negative space than your average Moss print. But it may be more apparent on an Ansin due to the different style of each artist. Doesn't bother me though. I'm definitely going for the regular, not sure if I want the grey version.
technique
Art Expert

fnord wrote:
Still debating if I want to try for one of these.
If anyone wants a poster buddy I'm offering up service in exchange for help on a Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke drop

Same here i am just going for the regular although i do like the sound of the metallics on the variant but personally don't care for the wood version. I'm a huge planet of the apes fan and would have loved to see it finally being released but just glad to have any Ansin drop at this point.
KSUvet
Art Expert

I think the Whalen is pretty good, and I'll go for that to continue the series. As someone that doesn't care for the previous Dracula, the Ansin is :clap:!
fanboy wrote:love the shadow biting her neck!
I didn't see this element until reading this post :shock:. It makes me like it even more. Nice addition!
keefdotorg wrote:I think I'll just go for the regular and mat it to make it look like the wood

PRETTY SNEAKY, SIS
Interesting idea . . . :idea:
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
charter
Art Expert

Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:34 pm

I would have been major sad face if Mondo ended the year with that Whalen. Ansin onward.
MapleBacon

Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:34 pm

acidburn wrote:Im going for the Ansin variant however still feel underwhelmed
acidburn wrote:there is too much negative space
How about don't buy it and leave a copy for someone who really wants it.
cjevy
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:48 pm

:notworthy: What that guy said
follow @cjevy
shibby
Art Expert

Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:54 pm

keefdotorg wrote:I think I'll just go for the regular and mat it to make it look like the wood

PRETTY SNEAKY, SIS
how about a red velvet matte?