Collectors - a question

General art-related discussion.
piemel
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:41 pm

I have been out of the scene for a long time

Are the old time collectors that we around 5-10 years ago still at it?
What are you doing with your collection? Expanding, selling, looking at donating? What are your plans for your stacks and stacks of posters?
What is the scene like today? More douchebags than normal?

Update me pls
pj101ca
Art Expert

Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:42 pm

Do you like movies?
mike123230 wrote:hahahah lawyers are stupid. boom. roasted.
harrykeogh
Art Expert

Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:50 pm

Do you like gladiator movies?
jojobadass
Art God

Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:53 pm

My kids are bananas for beanie babies
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:26 pm

Not trying to start a war but for me the 1 - 2 punch of Mr Brainwash followed by the mondo hype train kind of sealed the deal for me on pushing me away from posters. I find that I would much rather buy original art which usually comes ready to hang rather than sitting in my flat file. I still buy the occasional print but honestly there's not much NEW on the gigposter/art print front around here that excites me.

As for my collection, i've sold off pretty much all the stuff that I didn't really love to fund OG art purchases over the last year. At this point I really like almost everything I have, even if it is in the flat file. I might do a mass Geddes sell off around his gallery show to set up a college fund for my kids if prices are still ridiculous. Planning on keeping most everything else.
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:45 pm

piemel wrote:I have been out of the scene for a long time

Are the old time collectors that we around 5-10 years ago still at it?
What are you doing with your collection? Expanding, selling, looking at donating? What are your plans for your stacks and stacks of posters?
What is the scene like today? More douchebags than normal?

Update me pls
Load of crap, Rene. You haven't been out that long...

Just like any hobby, any grouping, any job - the group ebbs and flows. Some of the "oldies" are still around, some aren't. Some are here more than they used to be, some less. All I can really tell you is that I'm still around. Don't buy anywhere near as much as I used to, but as you progress as a collector I think that's true of anyone. I'm just a lot more selective with things that I'm buying for my own collection these days.
"The scene" is just as it's always been, in my eyes. It's just a normal instance of every hobby I've been part of. Seems to start small and then grow to something more than that. Beyond that, it's more a matter of who you find. Guess I find myself laughing a bit about those who complain that half their deals end up falling apart or they have all these issues. For some reason, that happens to me less than 5% of the time, if even that. Guess it's a matter of who you search out to begin with...

Posters are what they have always been. Appreciate and collect what appeals to you, what you enjoy. Don't waste time bitching about the quality or content of the stuff you don't. It'll make the whole thing more enjoyable, which is what it's supposed to be to begin with, otherwise why are you here?
Tra la la la la...
electrachrome
Site Admin

Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:55 pm

hey Rene, yup still at it. I still buy a fair number of gig posters and a handful of art prints every year. more stuff is going into portfolios which makes it easier to share with friends when they stop buy. I gravitate to the 18x24 format because of this. I'm still putting together my Jay Ryan collection with the intent that I'll show it somewhere as a body of work someday. I'm finally framing a few things as well.

this is one of the better gig posters I picked up that was published this year.
PrimeStein
Art Connoisseur

Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:15 am

Selling and fine tuning for myself. I still have a ways to go to accomplish a goal (completing 1998 PJ yield tour). Still opportunistically buying and keeping an ear to the floor. If the print world was the stock market i would say its a good time to be short. :wink:
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:51 am

How about a good ol' fashioned AP2 rant for old times sake?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
BlakeAronson
Flipper

Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:58 am

I'm selling. not buying.
8=====D~~~~
thebends9
Art Expert

Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:03 am

Hey rene, I'm still...wait, Who are you?
Blackheart
Art Expert

Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:02 am

Phish is no longer sHrN
I have spent 90% of my money on women and wine..........the rest i wasted.
talkingdeads
Art Expert

Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:11 am

Rene, I've waited like seven years for you to make your collection public.
TheBlack
Art Connoisseur

Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:44 pm

Piemel?

Kerel je username is wel goed bedacht ;)
sschmotz
Art Connoisseur

Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:42 pm

I'm still around all the time checking on stuff, but don't buy nearly like I used to. I'm mainly after a few older gigposters. I think I made around 10 purchases this past year, where I used to make one a week it seemed like. Many things have turned me off of the hobby, one of them being what I'll generalize and call "fad" posters. Another is my tastes have changed and I don't like the artwork being put out now that I did a few years ago, even with my favorite artists.

My collection has outgrown my flatfile so I'm building a new one. I really need to sell some stuff but it seems like I've read too many threads about deals gone bad here that I don't want to bother with the hassel. I've been very fortunate in 10 years of buying/selling to only have one tube destroyed and not have any real problems beyond that.