ARE YOU SELLERS BLIND!?!?!

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
trarex
Art Expert

Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:38 am

Soft cornres or edge wear doesnt freak me out.
Unless its printed or cut to the edges, the boader is there to protect the image area , isnt it ?
"Lay off Detroit, Them peoples is living in Mad Max times." Moe Szyslak
rmoore
Art Expert

Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:42 am

mattlew69 wrote:
Are we going to have to start sending our posters off to a grading company, like we did with baseball cards?
Haha, seal them off in 24" x 36" slabs of half-inch thick lucite.
recycler
Art Expert

Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:43 am

mistersmith wrote:How bad were the "dings?" Did it happen in shipping, were the prints packaged with "damage," and how could you tell?

Many EBers have unrealistic expectations when it comes to fancy paper.
The people made good, but it just seems like damage to areas that were not the cause of putting the poster in the tube. You are exactly right, I cannot be for certain if they did it before or after or whether they knew about it.

If it's a fuzzy edge then ok, a slight corner ding well ok again, but when the paper is bent or there is dents in the artwork, that's a no go.

My expectations equal how much money I'm throwing down for that fancy paper.
john38103
Art Expert

Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:52 am

recycler wrote: My expectations equal how much money I'm throwing down for that fancy paper.
I think this crystallizes your argument. Higher expense warrants a higher level of scrutiny.

Glad to hear the sellers made good.
mattlew69
Art Expert

Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:55 am

rmoore wrote:
mattlew69 wrote:
Are we going to have to start sending our posters off to a grading company, like we did with baseball cards?
Haha, seal them off in 24" x 36" slabs of half-inch thick lucite.
My poster has a GMA rating of 7.5 which is Near Mint +.

We may want to start a list as to what qualifies as Mint to Good. Or is there already one in the EB Wiki?

Mint - No edge dings, corner bumps, creases, or blemishes.

Near Mint - One small or slight blemish, ding, soft corner.

Fair - Blah, blah blah

Good - Blah blah blah

Poor - Crease, large blemish, folded corner, or pin holes.

And also show pictures of posters with such damages. Just to give people a rough idea. Like Beckett used to do.
haven
Art Expert

Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:59 am

I don't really think the cost of the poster should have anything to do with it. If condition issues are disclosed up front then there are no problems.
trarex
Art Expert

Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:01 pm

trarex wrote:Soft cornres or edge wear doesnt freak me out.
Unless its printed or cut to the edges, the boader is there to protect the image area , isnt it ?
Just a generalization not meant at you bro.
Glad you were taken care of. :pint:
"Lay off Detroit, Them peoples is living in Mad Max times." Moe Szyslak
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:10 pm

mistersmith wrote:How bad were the "dings?" Did it happen in shipping, were the prints packaged with "damage," and how could you tell?

Many EBers have unrealistic expectations when it comes to fancy paper.
True.
unoab
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:17 pm

haven wrote:I don't really think the cost of the poster should have anything to do with it. If condition issues are disclosed up front then there are no problems.
If conditions are disclosed up front there are no issues, but if they aren't then cost always plays a part with the dissatisfaction of receiving a damaged poster.

If I receive a poster for $40 or so that is not quite in the condition it should be (dinged corner, edge crease, etc.) as long as it is not blatantly obvious and in the image area I don't care, not worth the trouble for the cost. But as you get over the $100-$150 mark it becomes more difficult to accept that some of those things if they were not disclosed beforehand. If the poster is near impossible to find or a great hookup price then it also wont affect me as much, but with everyone trying to set a new high on price or selling for higher than the artist (if they have them available), when you receive a poster with roll bends and other damage that was not disclosed beforehand it just really sucks, especially when its obvious the damage was not from shipping.
downbytheriver
Art Expert

Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:32 pm

The last 3 prints I purchased from the "artist" arrived from Oaksterdam, either mangled completely, or with badly crunched corners where they were stuck in a tube slightly askew and had the cap stuffed on, creasing the corners up like mini geisha fans.

I sent the first one completely crushed in the tube back - showed it to the Post Master, refused it as it was obviously fuct. Was told "no problem I'll replace it" by said artist after sending photos....Never received a replacement.

Made the mistake of purchasing prints twice since, thinking it might be a good opportunity to mention the mangled one returned to shipper so he could combine shipping...to no avail. No response.

I've given up trying to contact him, he's entirely too busy the last several months. Hype is a real b!tch sometimes.

When the most popular artists seemingly don't give a crap about "mint" or "NM" or "slightly mint" or nothing near mint - it makes you wonder why the hell you should give a damn.

I've just chosen to purchase from other artists, the flippers can have this one.
"lance wrote:drymount, man, this is better than Disneyland! chef wrote: I used to think if I died in an evil place, then my soul wouldn't be able to make it to Heaven. But now? drymount! I mean, I don't care where it goes, as long as it ain't here.
fry
Art Enthusiast

Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:23 am

mattlew69 wrote:Are we going to have to start sending our posters off to a grading company, like we did with baseball cards?
similar dilemma, though, if that company happens to send you, or the buyer, back the print after grading and it somehow ends up damaged in transit; prints are a lot bigger and less sturdy than baseball cards :P

i've also learned (not from here, thankfully) that the definition of mint condition corners is very different depending on the seller
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:32 am

All damages must be disclosed - shouldn't matter if its a 1000 or 10 buck poster.

That's just poor business
Cragars
Art Expert

Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:18 am

I figure some are blind or I'm/we're too observant.

I'd say a good portion of the prints I've received off ebay and some from here have come with flaws that weren't disclosed/noticed. A nice one was buying an Ansin Wolfman variant listed on ebay as mint which came with the dreaded ink smear, he's on EB too. I'm thinking he's just one of the mouthbreathers that forward their tubes without checking them first though. Others I fear just never actually look at the print even though it's, "mintOMGstoredflat" and packed well. I figure that's a given when you buy fudge you'll just flip later on. If you don't buy because you like the image then you'll never really examine it and find flaws while appreciating the details. I"m just glad I realized we're buying freaking paper and that kind of thing is inherent. I've only run into one guy that I knew purposefully left out some key things in the description.

Since I brought up not opening tubes from artists before you ship them out...Don't sell prints you just bought from the artist/venue and then have THEM send it to your buyer. Such a kick to the ass when you get a damaged print that way. One dude did that to me on here and although I didn't say anything, I'll never buy from him again. I figure it was my fault for going against my gut.
DeltaSigChi4
Flipper

Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:46 am

There is no such thing as mint. Look at how many cards BGS rated as GEM MINT 10.0 over the years: not nearly as much as there are relatively humongous posters being described as "mint" by assholes who do not comprehend the meaning of the drymounting word. The sons of whores that handle the print before one gets it from the actual primary vendor make it no longer mint. How the drymount is a secondary vendor going to claim mintness. drymount off.

Anyone who says anything is "mint" is an asshole and should definitely not be trusted. /freeadvice

E
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:09 am

On the subject of flippers never even inspecting prints- very true.

Bought 2 prints of members recently with the famed "flipper rip"

"Print is mint" - well print received and the kraft paper torn down about 10 inches so they could make sure the right print was received- but the print was never unrolled when received from the artist.....

Another one I love is "print was stored flat" - see that on ebay listing after listing....well then why does the print need those heavy items holding down the corners? :lol: :hanging: